Bridgestone BT021 review & eventual results

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great review - much appreciated - there is so much mis-information out there about tires, it's good to read a factual review.

After 2 sets of 020s and 1 set of 021s, I decided to try Z6s. Actually putting a Z6 on the rear on tomorrow.

Hope I am not making a change I will regret. Glad to see you gave them a FORP rating of 0.8. (Is that metric?) ;)

I liked the 020s, for as much as everyone seems to put them down. I got about 4-5K miles rear and 6-7K front (excluding a puncture). The 020s did cup noticeably. I run 40 & 42 psi. As far as the 021s, I like the rear, but wasn't happy with the life of the front. I actually expected the 021s to last longer than the 020s, which they didn't. I think the 021s gripped better, but the tread just about melted off the front in 3500 miles, and did not wear evenly. Some of that can be attributed to my riding style, but I've heard the same complaint about the front from others. I was happy with performance of the rear, and it wore evenly, although I barely got 4k out of it. The short life of the 021 front was a deal-breaker for me. So I decided to give the Metzlers a try.

I had a Z6 front and 021 rear at EOM, and you know those tires tested well. (They were pretty good off-road too, lol!;-) As much as everyone tells me that mixing tires is not a good practice, I felt confident on this combo. I now have 3k on the Z6, and still have more than 50% tread depth. (Glad to see I'm not the only one who mics tread depth, it helps estimate life, but the 021s front just blew the curve.)

I will stay tuned for your long-term report.

I have alittle more than 7k on my oem Z6... The rear is getting a flat spot and the front is a bit better. I can tell the tires are getting flat spots(turn in not very quick anymore) BUT I have been satisfied so far... I like what I hear about the 021's except for the fronts not lasting very long. Wonder why Bridgestone didn't use the dual compound rubber for the fronts? Still waiting to hear final mileage reports on the PR2's.

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I would add my 02.

First off my riding style would probably be call sedate by some. I ride within 5 mph of the limit. Just about all of my miles are highway miles as I don't do many short trips . I keep the pressure 40 on the front and 42 on the rear.

When I installed the 021"s on 8/10 of this year I checked the tread depth. The front measured 4mm and the rear 6mm as close as I could tell. I now have just a little over 6 K on the tires and the thread left is 3 mm on the front and 3mm on the rear. So for 6 K miles I have used up 1 mm of tread on the front and 3 mm on the rear. I will find out how long they will last when spring comes around and I am back riding again.

Mac

I have alittle more than 7k on my oem Z6... The rear is getting a flat spot and the front is a bit better. I can tell the tires are getting flat spots(turn in not very quick anymore) BUT I have been satisfied so far... I like what I hear about the 021's except for the fronts not lasting very long. Wonder why Bridgestone didn't use the dual compound rubber for the fronts? Still waiting to hear final mileage reports on the PR2's.
WW
The Z6 crown would like to hear your final mileage......and what you select.

Midlifefjr,

I will let you know. Its been pretty cold here, Nov in MN and Winter is closing in. I will probably go with the Z6's again if average mileage reports on the PR2's aren't as good as the average reports of the Z6's. I wish the 021 fronts didn't burn up so quick(as reported).

WW

Don't know why I didn't see this thread earlier. But once again a great write up Jeff! Considering the road surfaces in your part of the country sounds like the 021's are doing really well for you. I've been sporting the 021's since WFO like Pig and am really happy with these tires. I've got about 4000 mi. on them with lots of wear left even on the front but most of my riding has been around town or on the slabs. I still have my set of Z6's on the shelf with a good half life left. They will go back on when the 021's are done. Keep up the good work Jeff as you are still our official tire punisher/tester and are appreciated.... :D PM. <><