Bun Burner Gold - Booked.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way to go Hal! Sounds like you might be ready to attempt my little MI-II BBG after your B2BI ride, you LD animal!

Bob, I gotta tell ya - I can't imagine taking what I went through and then throwing in two or three major metropolitian areas - it just boggles the mind !!

but I gotta ask - when ? :blink:

Way to go Hal! Sounds like you might be ready to attempt my little MI-II BBG after your B2BI ride, you LD animal!

Bob, I gotta tell ya - I can't imagine taking what I went through and then throwing in two or three major metropolitian areas - it just boggles the mind !!

...and snaaap... the hook is set! :rolleyes:

Whenever you want....I'll email you the route, just jump on and go for it. There's probably no way it could be accomplished without going solo, so that's how I'm gonna go, in late September or October, once the summer heat, road construction, traffic and (hopefully) gas prices wanes a bit, but before I hafta face any more whacked weather like we had Tuesday. With multiple weekdays off, I can go on a day's notice, depending on the forecast. The mountains will have to be clear.

The key to the possibility of success will be timing. I'll leave early enough in the morning to hit the Coleville (Walker) fuel stop right after they open (6:30am). That will put me through the Bay Area before 3:00pm, and through L.A. after rush hour. It's all in the timing.

Not to mention the fact that I'm running stock fuel capacity, just to keep it real....No worries about going farther than 350 without stopping.

Whenever you want....I'll email you the route, just jump on and go for it. There's probably no way it could be accomplished without going solo, so that's how I'm gonna go, in late September or October, once the summer heat, road construction, traffic and (hopefully) gas prices wanes a bit, but before I hafta face any more whacked weather like we had Tuesday. With multiple weekdays off, I can go on a day's notice, depending on the forecast. The mountains will have to be clear.

The key to the possibility of success will be timing. I'll leave early enough in the morning to hit the Coleville (Walker) fuel stop right after they open (6:30am). That will put me through the Bay Area before 3:00pm, and through L.A. after rush hour. It's all in the timing.

Not to mention the fact that I'm running stock fuel capacity, just to keep it real....No worries about going farther than 350 without stopping.
Toe, very interested in the route - and I certainly agree with solo being necessary.

Timing is everything. Absolutely necessary on this ride. 30 minutes one way or another could blow it - as could any number of variables. Very, very, complex.

Is the goal an 'all california' BBG?

Solo huh? Well, rumor has it ODOT's going to be lurking, then join you.. just to show how it can be done!

Seriously, what are the reasons that typically two is slower than one?

I can understand that different bodies require different bio breaks, food requirements, etc..

well, now that I think of it.. I guess I can reason out why riding solo should be faster.

Hey, BTW, could I interest you two in the Creston BBG? It's 1,500 miles around all of Creston's 2 mile town center with 229 thrown in just for fun. Lots of turns. If you get thirsty, there's a bar right there. Hungry? Nice steak house too. :rolleyes:

Is the goal an 'all california' BBG?
That's part of it. And a good challenge. Think of it as hopping on your bike to go to an appointment across town, but you're running late, and town is 1500 miles across. Peer into Nevada, then a run for the coast, followed by a peek at Mexico, then just enough off the beaten path to bend it into enough miles through the night desert to make the mileage. It all has to come together and the stars must align, with no time for unscheduled roadside chats, so you have to be sneaky fast every chance you get.

Like I said, inspiration on loan from Skyway himself. I could do an all-CA 1500 and never leave I-5, but that just doesn't turn my crank.

The biggest risk/reward portion of the whole thing was Hwy 12 from Lodi to Fairfield. One lane each way, with regularly placed signs that said "Reckless driving - minimum $2500.00 fine". But I made up enough time on that stretch to finish my Bodega bay pit stop before CAJW started his. And there was a CHP prowling that stretch. Razor-edge stuff, for sure.

I need to re-do the route, to add a shortcut that presented itself, but I was hesitant to take. CAJW took it, and confirmed its value, so unless somebody knows where the eraser tool is in MapSource, I have to draw the route all over again. Once that's done, I'll email it off to you and whoever else wants a copy.

It would be a fun rally route. A small group of like-minded wacko's, all leaving at five minute intervals, after a get-together at my place the night before, then we swap stories the next night over BBQ and Ale.