Business Trips and Airport Parking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbvolfan

Reaction score
So, I have taken my FJR to the local airport before for overnight or at most 2 night trips but in two weeks I have a 5 day trip. I really enjoy riding the bike to the airport (98 miles) but have a little concern over leaving it there for so long.

How many of you routinely take your FJR to the airport and am I just being paranoid? We are talking the Loiusville airport here. I just hate to drive the car anymore unless I have to take the kid somewhere. :)

I'm lucky. I just park at the firehouse at O'Hare, FJR or Tahoe, doesn't matter. When I was in the Navy I wouldn't leave my truck at an airport for more than a weekend. Just me though, I'm paranooid about that kinda stuff because of the crew I used to hang out w/ as a kid. Thiefs are smarter than you think. My .02

I don't know...maybe it's just the newness that hasn't worn off, but leaving mine at the airport would cause 5-day heartburn.

The airport garage is probably safer than most places we park. After all, there's security, and everyone who parks there pays, and is presumably on camera.

In Portland, they offer motorcycle parking right next to the terminal. I've left mine there for a week at a time with the cover on it and alarm set. Anymore, I just don't worry about it. Personally, I think it would be safer than leaving a car parked at the airport.

Given that my car has been stolen twice I should be more paranoid about it than anything. I checked with the Louisville airport to see if they had motorcycle parking but no such luck. I guess the airports East of the Miss. arent as friendly as those out West towards motorcycles. :(

I guess in the end a lot of it will come down to the weather. If it is REALLY cold I probably wont take it. I'd hate to get back in 6 days and the battery be dead (it's only 8 months old but when it sits outside all day in 30 degree temps it isnt the strongest cranker.

Have done it at DCA and BWI. My minimum requirements are a place RIGHT where everybody enters the garage from the terminal, or next to the guard/tollbooth, and something to lock the bike to. I centerstand it and think somebody sat on it once, but no damage.

Bob

My airport choices are Kennedy, Laguardia, and Islip here in NY. If you were to bring a 10 year old garbage truck and park it at any of these airports for a week it wouldn't be there when you got back. I can't imagine ever bringing my bike in for even a couple of hours. This thread peaked my interest so I tried to find some statistics for vehicle thefts and was surprised to learn that NY state actually was 5th (in 2005) for total# of vehicles stolen with California being #1. We'll try better next year though. :rolleyes:

I live in Louisville and traveled a lot out of the airport. Before they build the covered garage I had my car brocken into and items stolen. I do not know if they FJR will set the gates either. It would probably be fine in the covered parking area chained to a post but otherwise I would not even consider it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about other airports but at ATL they survey the parking lots and record EVERY license plate every 24 hours. There are security people patrolling the lots all the time. I'd say its by far the safest public parking around.

Although I've thought about it, I have never parked my bike at any airport. But I might someday.

With that said, just last week I noticed a BMW RT in the airport parking garage closest to O'Hare and situated the bike on an end near constantly moving traffic. I don't know how long it was there but the choice of high-traffic (but pricey) garage nearest to the terminal and the high traffic location of the parking spot seemed like a great position. (Then again, as the evilmedic said, thieves are smart.)

They check license plates at the Louisville airport too but it is basically to make sure they get paid for parking if you loose your ticket and I am sure they have used it for security reasons. They make sure they get your license plate on a picture when you check out too. I always carry my parking ticket with me since if you leave it it can be used to get your car out. A nice van and a bike could be removed with no one wiser until you get back thats why I suggested chaining to the post. But if a thief wants it enough they will get it.

Ive parked mine at the columbus OH airport for 3 days at a time, covered, short term, close to the terminal door. never worried about it. Here's the thing, if I want to ride,,,,, I ride. If someone steals it,,, I call Allstate. Lifes too short, enjoy the ride.

wildman