Busted Mirror

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grnarrowe

Reaction score
As you may have read BleBear's 06 is having ignition problems. This all started in Valentine NE which even people in NE consider the middle of nowhere. This happened last Thursday, June 14th. We spent all day Friday trying to get a rental truck or get it to a shop in Perre SD. Well we get a rental truck late in the morning and it's in Rapid City SD, which is 200 miles west of where we are. So off to Rapid City we go, got there in 3.5 hours. The truck was not ready so we went and got some tie downs and lunch. After we get back to U-Haul we load my bike into the truck and secure it to the front and side walls. Leaving the rental place I clipped a curb and when we stopped for gas we open the back of the truck to find my bike on it's left side, DOH! The mirror broke;

165107.jpg

And the bracket under the faring is bent

191426.jpg

I also stripped out one of the bolts holding the windshield bracket in place. So I have a tap out for it. I'll get to that tomorrow, this is what it looks like now.

191253.jpg

190844.jpg

After I get the bracket out I'm going to try to bend it back in place, if not I'll be buying a new one. And as long as I have it apart I may get the FZ1 mirrors for it. Will the 05 FZ1 mirrors fit on it without any mods?

And I'll clean it up since I killed so many bugs while we were on vacation.

Last edited by a moderator:
After I get the bracket out I'm going to try to bend it back in place, if not I'll be buying a new one.
That's what I did. I have a rather large adjustable end wrench and with a little patience and some applied torque....voila'! The angles are a bit tough to align, not only the front to rear, but rotationally (?) so that the bracket doesn't "push" the nose piece. It may take 2 or 3 attempts, but it can be done.

And as long as I have it apart I may get the FZ1 mirrors for it. Will the 05 FZ1 mirrors fit on it without any mods?
That's what has been reported here. If not, there is reportedly a metal spacer that can be removed, but IIRC, they just bolt into place.

Sorry about your mishap and I'm glad its a simple fix.

Please not that when you tie down your FJRfor moving in a truck or tow truckyou can not tie it down like a dirt bike or else it will go fall over and go bang or break a whole bunch of stuff.

I do not have any pics , but you need to get the type of cross over tow straps that the towing companies use for the handle bars. This insures that when you cinch it down they are crossed and front end will stay in place.

How do I know I left my key on in Oregon and had it towed to the shop where I was getting my suspension work done.

Just a help hint . Sorry about you tip over. when they loaded and towed I was like this :angry: than when all charged up I looked like this :D

weekend rider :)

Between the time I looked at my bike and I picked it up I reckon my bike fell onto it;s left side.

There was a bit of scratching on the side case and and the left mirror bracket was bent.

It took a bit of inventive bending and a few refits to get it right but it now looks fine.

:yahoo: I have got my FJR put back together. Got the FZ1 mirrors put on and the bolt I stripped out. All is right with the world, almost. Still need to get BlueBears bike fixed. Yamaha called our dealer and said they would 2 day overnight it. What they didn't tell them is that the ignition is still in Japan.

Anyway this is how mine looked, (warnnig the following pictures are of a NAKED FJR, parental discretion is advised)

105232.jpg

This is the bent left hand mirror bracket

105249.jpg

Adifferent view

105336.jpg

We got it bent back with little effort.

Right hand side

105256.jpg

And now all put back together and cleaner that before.

171542.jpg

This wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be. Thanks to all for your tips and if anyone needs a right hand side mirror for an 05 FJR I have one.

I think if you haul on a truck or trailer a wheel chock or something to trap the front wheel will prevent a tip over. I know of several bikes dropped in the manner you described. I hauled my new 06 from D/H in AL. to south Tx in the back of my pickup but I built a wheel chock out of channel iron anchored to my GN hitch in truck bed. I secured (strapped) rim to channel and then strapped four corners of bike and hauled with out any issues. My son and his buddies hauled some Harleys in a box trailer to Daytona with just straps and darned near totaled the bikes getting there.

cctxfjr- ideally anything would have been better than what we had which was a Uhaul truck with wooden rails and a curb that was in the wrong spot. :lol: I still think the center stand may have helped a bit too, but that is my opinion and does not represent the entirety of this household. :)

But it looks like I too may actually get my Blu back before the Chicago winter hits again.

Spoke with Yamaha and the chances are good that I may get to bring Blu home this weekend. I'm not sure of all the details yet, but I sure am hoping!