Cal-Sci +3.5 Screen Arrived!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Franks

Reaction score
Well, the first farkle (second, if you don't count sliders) arrived this afternoon from California Scientific. I got the +3.5 inch windshield.

First, good on Cal-Sci for sending along real, live, stainless steel machine screws to mount it. Good thing, too, because one of the OEM plastic screwheads just snapped off

The screen itself works first-rate. At the lowest setting, I get a smooth flow of air on the helmet and shoulders. At the highest setting, I am sitting is a cocoon of almost perfectly still, noiseless air. It really is a first-rate screen for being buffet-free, even at speeds approaching--but not crossing, because that would be wrong--100 MPH.

There's no back pressure at all, and the weather protection is really excellent. I'm very impressed, especially coming from the windshield on my Sporty, which was a buffeting monster. The stock FJR screen is better than the Sporty's but the Cal-Sci windshield seems just about perfect.

I'm very happy with it.

First, good on Cal-Sci for sending along real, live, stainless steel machine screws to mount it. Good thing, too, because one of the OEM plastic screwheads just snapped off
Oh, now you done it. The plastic screw police will be along shortly to inform you of the inherent advantages of plastic "breakaway" screws.

[SIZE=8pt]I have black stainless screws on mine...[/SIZE]

Dale,

What FredW was trying to say is this: The plastic screws are there for safety reasons, so IF you have an accident and hit the Windshield you will not be Inviscerated when the plastic screws Breakaway.

Best stay with the Nylon or Plastic screws.

Ummm. yeah.... That's it.

Or you could just use whatever friggen screws you wanted realizing that we all take risks when we ride murdersickles and move on to the next hazard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I believe that the plastics screws are stronger than the relay arms on the lift mechanism. I wouldn't worry about the steel screws either.

Honestly, I believe that the plastics screws are stronger than the relay arms on the lift mechanism. I wouldn't worry about the steel screws either.

alfred_e_neuman.jpg

What me? Worry?

Yamaha POLICE! FREEZE!!! :gun:

All right, we heard you have replaced your windshield plastic screws with NON-Yamaha SS screws. That violates Yamaha USA Codes: 1300, FZ1000, YZF400, and directly ignores Crash code R1. :big_boss:

Do you know what can happen to you with SS crews in a collision? Well let me tell you, it's not pretty! :agent:

First off we pay many Japanese men lots-O-Yen to design these critical fasteners. And you think you can just do what you want with them? You Farklers! If we intended the FJR's to have such things we'd have designed them that way!

Now put your bike back to stock or we'll reposes it!!! :big_boss:

The names have been changed to protect the… innocent???

Ride Safe...

:dribble: :blink: :yahoo: :glare: :grin: :haha: :eek: :D

Roger that.

If you go ass over teakettle through the windshield, the relay arms are gonna snap like twigs.

Besides, I snapped the head off of one anyway. And the tiny Philips heads on about 4 others got stripped like a MoFo.

As it happens, I was using the plastic screws to mount the new screen at first, until I snapped the head off of...the seventh one.

Anyway, coming off a Harley, where a similar accident will eviscerate you from the jagged plexy edges, since that mount is going nowhere, I'd take the risk anyway.

As it happens, I was using the plastic screws to mount the new screen at first, until I snapped the head off of...the seventh one.
And that would be you overtorquing them. It's common when folks think they need to be cinched down. They're working exactly as designed.....to snap off when the shear force exceeds specification.

Have fun with the metal screws. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
And that would be you overtorquing them. It's common when folks think they need to be cinched down. They're working exactly as designed.....to snap off when the shear force exceeds specification.
Actually, it snapped off even before I got it all the way screwed in.

I admire your invincible self-confidence in your own opinions, though.

It's endearing. Really. But, in our short period of acquaintance, I have come not to rely too desperately on them.

Well, mister all-knowing and powerful Fred W, have you crashed your FJR and know through first hand experience what will happen with the windscreen?

Unfortunately I have. And not only am I glad I had on the nylon screws, but you can be damned sure I will never have metal ones installed.

Ignorance is bliss.....

You know, I really don't see the advantage to metal windscreen screws other than to the ham-fisted dolt who can't install them without fucking them up.

They are not needed for strength, as it been well shown the stock nylon screws work fine, so what's the actual advantage, other then occasionally not having to replace a measly cheap-assed nylon screw?

I can think of a couple disadvantages to the metal screws:

- Possible injury in a crash

- Damage to other windscreen operation components in a crash

- Possible damage to the windscreen from over-torquing the metal screws?

There's a reason those screws are nylon. If you want to swap them out with metal, be my guest. I have no problem with that.

Just don't try to preach to me about how there are no inherent disadvantages to the metal screws.

Have a nice day.

I would have to say that the reason nylon screws are used on the windscreens is not a safety issue, but to prevent the screen from cracking when it expands and contracts.

I would also like to say to Dale that since the new Black '08 belongs to him, he can use whatever he likes to secure his new CalSci. But if you're going to talk about it here, opinions will fly!

and add to that,

If a screw snaps the head being installed it could be one of several factors the final combining factor of the threads binding too early for the torque allowed on a plastic screw.

I figure the plastic screws are a combination of several of yamahas enginearing ideas most of which have been mentioned allready.

With the way the new bikes have added weight like 10 lbs per year every ounce that they can keep off they will.

Long term effect of the metal screw is it might actually fix the threads in a bad hole a bit.. You can allways go back to the cheap plastic if you have a mind too.

good luck and keep the farkeling going.

Thousands of people are counting on us to keep them employed.

I just keep a complete set of extra plastic windshield screws for the time(s) I get "ham-fisted" w/ them. They're cheap enough. And, replacing the plastic screws w/ metal ones is a risk I CHOOSE not to add to the otherwise long list of risks inherent w/ riding a "murdersickle."

Choose plastic or metal...as you wish...YMMV.

I just keep a complete set of extra plastic windshield screws for the time(s) I get "ham-fisted" w/ them. They're cheap enough. And, replacing the plastic screws w/ metal ones is a risk I CHOOSE not to add to the otherwise long list of risks inherent w/ riding a "murdersickle."

Choose plastic or metal...as you wish...YMMV.

Well, mister all-knowing and powerful Fred W, have you crashed your FJR and know through first hand experience what will happen with the windscreen?
Unfortunately I have. And not only am I glad I had on the nylon screws, but you can be damned sure I will never have metal ones installed.

Ignorance is bliss.....

You know, I really don't see the advantage to metal windscreen screws other than to the ham-fisted dolt who can't install them without fucking them up.

They are not needed for strength, as it been well shown the stock nylon screws work fine, so what's the actual advantage, other then occasionally not having to replace a measly cheap-assed nylon screw?

I can think of a couple disadvantages to the metal screws:

- Possible injury in a crash

- Damage to other windscreen operation components in a crash

- Possible damage to the windscreen from over-torquing the metal screws?

There's a reason those screws are nylon. If you want to swap them out with metal, be my guest. I have no problem with that.

Just don't try to preach to me about how there are no inherent disadvantages to the metal screws.

Have a nice day.
Who pissed in your cornflakes?

I'm not preaching anything. How 'bout you?

Try to find the plastic screws. The dealers don't stock em, most anyway or they never seem to have them. The last set i bought for extras that I can't seem to locate now that I need two was $13 for the set. A little steep for a few plastic screws. So I had to violate the laws of physics and install two metal ones until I can get a few plastic oem.

Who pissed in your cornflakes?
I'm not preaching anything. How 'bout you?
The Easter Bunny. And I'll preach to anyone who is stoooopid enough to listen. I just ***might*** have been in a bit of a mood last night and of which you were a recipient. :eek:

Try to find the plastic screws. The dealers don't stock em, most anyway or they never seem to have them. The last set i bought for extras that I can't seem to locate now that I need two was $13 for the set. A little steep for a few plastic screws. So I had to violate the laws of physics and install two metal ones until I can get a few plastic oem.
I have about 12 of them on hand, and they weren't anywhere close to $13. I also have a few extra of every fastener on the FJR. Nor do I count on my dealer to have any of this stuff. Whenever I ordered a part from UMotors, I would also update my collection of various fasteners, crush washers, and filters. Now I will simply do the same with whatever vendor I go with in the future.

Besides being ham fisted, age will harden the nylon screws. Once while re-installing my screen, I snapped about 4 of the screws, and it was not from over-torquing. They were really old and had gotten brittle. No big deal, replaced them with ones on hand. And I also once used metal screws. After a crash far from home, they were easiest to obtain. But they were replaced semi-promptly with the nylon ones at a later date.