Cal Sci now shipping '06 Shields

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjrieth

Reaction score
For those waiting for an 06 shield......Got a note from Mark Lawrence yesterday...my CalSci shield has been shipped

I absolutey can't believe the difference. I purchased the medium, about 2 inches higher than stock and it's perfect for my size. I'm 5'7 and weight 155. With the shield all the way up it's very quiet and no buffeting. I rode about 300 miles yesterday and another 200 today and find I like the shield 2 or 3 inches down from the top. I turned 5000 miles on the odometer today and road the first 4500 with ear plugs in and couldn't believe how yamaha could design a shield with constant wind noise. Shield up or down ear plugs in or out. CALL MARK NOW at cal sci you'll be glad you did.

denny,

Sounds like you have been doing some serious riding. B) Just to confirm, we are talking 06 right? If so would you care to share a few more details? How was the noise/buffeting and where was the wind hitting you when you had the shield where you like it, “2 or 3 inches down from the top”? When did you order it? How long did it take to get it?

Please forgive the barrage of questions. Have been waiting anxiously for release of, and as much news as possible about, the new aftermarket shields. The VStream sounds like it works well for the 05’s. Didn’t know if I would have to wait on it or if one of the other makers would come out with a suitable shield.

And by the way. Thanks for the report on your shield. :p

shokdimn

I riding an 06, I was in contact with cal sci after the first weekend of getting my new bike. When I called the company that monday morning the owner said I was the 2nd call and they just opened. I never heard of the company before I just came accross the name on this forum and liked what I read. Order time only took a couple of days. With shield down a couple of inches I'm just looking over top of shield, but still get nice air movement around me. I don't like looking totally through shield, way to much like a car.

I love the new 06 FJR shield from CALSCI. I helped develop the shield with Mark Lawrence. He used my factory shield as a template for the mounting while I provided input using a prototype shield for the size and back pressure vent. Mark put alot of time into this shield. I tested it last week at Deals Gap and rode over 500 miles. Best shield ever (afterall, that's my bike in the new photos).The tall shield was developed using my height and size (5'11" - 190lbs). Order one from Mark and lets go riding!

Wade

06 FJR

04 FLTRI

That vent is HUGE ! I wonder if there would be any issues riding at the bike's max top speed with the shield full up. Not that I have any immediate plans to do that, but I'd hate to hear about that sucker breaking on someone under that scenario.

ok wade, i took your advice. just sent the order for the tall shield :yahoo: . i'm 5'11" and 200. i don't know if my arai quantum is especially noisy, but i can say i've never heard the exhaust note on my FJR unless i was ducked down and over 5K.

so now that i've dropped $193 on the shield, i guess i'll have to wait for some holeshots for a bit....

thanks for the tip. i was laboring over whether to go with the cee baileys or this one, and you sold me on the cal sci. the v-stream just looks a bit weird to me, though a lot of guys swear by them...

anyway, once i get that puppy mounted and give it a whirl, i'll add my $0.02

ok wade, i took your advice. just sent the order for the tall shield :yahoo: . i'm 5'11" and 200. i don't know if my arai quantum is especially noisy, but i can say i've never heard the exhaust note on my FJR unless i was ducked down and over 5K.
so now that i've dropped $193 on the shield, i guess i'll have to wait for some holeshots for a bit....

thanks for the tip. i was laboring over whether to go with the cee baileys or this one, and you sold me on the cal sci. the v-stream just looks a bit weird to me, though a lot of guys swear by them...

anyway, once i get that puppy mounted and give it a whirl, i'll add my $0.02

I'm confident you'll be happy with it. Don't worry about the vent...I was at 130+ today with the shield raised 3/4. No problems.....

shu,

Have you received your cal-sci shield yet? :unsure:

How about it folks: has anyone else gotten their 06 cal-sci shield yet? Specifically the tall one. And if so, how do ya like it? ;)

I'm still waiting for Mark to release the X-Tall version. I'm 6'3" and I don't think the Tall version will do it for my height. I'm 190lbs so I'm not as worried about the width as I am the height. Right now with my stock shield all the way up (riding on the highway at 80mph) I have to lower myself (duck) down about 4-5 inches before it's nice an quiet with no air blasting me.

I'm really hoping Mark gets the XT version available soon (like in the next week) because I am leaving on the 22nd (2 weeks and a day) for my first trip of the year. I really don't want to go with the stocker on either.

Come on Mark!!! :clapping:

shu,

How about it folks: has anyone else gotten their 06 cal-sci shield yet? Specifically the tall one. And if so, how do ya like it? ;)
Got it today. Here's the WHOLE STORY: https://www.whidbeyjames.com

Bottom line, I'm very :yahoo: . Is it PERFECT? Not quite. Is it WAY better? OH YEAH... B)

Check it out.

shu

shu,

Thanks for your post about the windshield. :rolleyes:

I decided to go ahead and order one too. Before I had an opportunity to read your “amazing adventure”. :eek:

Your post will no doubt be read and appreciated by other riders.

Perhaps the folks that made the windshield will read your “amazing adventure” also. :unsure:

shu,

Got it today. Here's the WHOLE STORY: https://www.whidbeyjames.com

Bottom line, I'm very :yahoo: . Is it PERFECT? Not quite. Is it WAY better? OH YEAH... B)

Check it out.

shu
Shu, thanks for such a great review. I'm 6'3" with a 35" inseam and am waiting for the X-Tall version (+4.5"). I am kind of worried about the two screws and the deflection you have mentioned. It won't keep me from ordering though as soon as Mark gets the bigger size.

Again, thanks for such an indepth review!

Interesting that the cutout on the '06 CalSci shields is one big hole, versus the two smaller ones on the previous year models....

CalSci windshields...

Last edited by a moderator: