Canectomy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSLong

Reaction score
In lieu of getting aftermarket an aftermarket exhaust, has anyone gutted/removed baffles or otherwise modified the stock exhaust cans?

What did you do? How loud was the result? Did you get any extra power or just noise?

Thanks.

Wild Hair accessories (whaccessories.com) has a kit that can be purchased for around $200. You use a large drill to open it up and a cap/tube assembly. Check it out. Have only heard said that it doesn't make much more sound.

In lieu of getting aftermarket an aftermarket exhaust, has anyone gutted/removed baffles or otherwise modified the stock exhaust cans?

What did you do? How loud was the result? Did you get any extra power or just noise?

Thanks.
Are you looking for 1) more noise, 2) "better" sound or 3) more power.

I haven't heard of it being done but my guess is that you would end up with:

1) Yes

2) Doubtful - subjective

3) Unlikely that you would notice an improvement

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks.
Are you looking for 1) more noise, 2) "better" sound or 3) more power.

I haven't heard of it being done but my guess is that you would end up with:

1) Yes

2) Doubtful - subjective

3) Unlikely that you would notice an improvement
I was hoping to get more flow, better sound and performance. If the "kit" is $200, I'll just spring for the Two Bros system.

My FJ1200 has Cobra slip on cans with nada inside-getting so I don't dare ride anywhere near town-the Phuzz are writing noise tickets like wild men in these parts..I was thinking like you about hogging out the cans on the FJR but I guess I'll leave them alone..

I would question how any motorcycle, given EPA-mandated lean-from-the-factory design settings, could possibly benefit from "more flow" in the performance department.

If a motor is running lean to begin with, and you increase "the flow" either by gutting the airbox, gutting the muffler, or both, than without supplemental fueling, the bike is going to run even MORE lean, reducing performance, not increasing it.

It's "Hotrodding 101". Increased flow requires increased fuel. Plain and simple.

Perhaps the fuel injection ECU will compensate for the increased flow, but ONLY back to the baseline settings designed into the system, i.e., leaner than a mo-fo for EPA certification.

If I'm wrong on my assumptions, then screw it. Cut the damn things off at the connectors right behind the cat-con and let 'er rip! :p

I would question how any motorcycle, given EPA-mandated lean-from-the-factory design settings, could possibly benefit from "more flow" in the performance department.

If a motor is running lean to begin with, and you increase "the flow" either by gutting the airbox, gutting the muffler, or both, than without supplemental fueling, the bike is going to run even MORE lean, reducing performance, not increasing it.

It's "Hotrodding 101". Increased flow requires increased fuel. Plain and simple.

Perhaps the fuel injection ECU will compensate for the increased flow, but ONLY back to the baseline settings designed into the system, i.e., leaner than a mo-fo for EPA certification.

If I'm wrong on my assumptions, then screw it. Cut the damn things off at the connectors right behind the cat-con and let 'er rip! :p
Well my FJR came with a PCIII installed (thank you prev owner) and I put in a free flow air filter, so now I just need to open the exhaust up a bit. More flow + more fuel = wheelie on demand.

Well my FJR came with a PCIII installed (thank you prev owner) and I put in a free flow air filter, so now I just need to open the exhaust up a bit. More flow + more fuel = wheelie on demand.
I guess at my advanced age, I just don't get it. Sorta like what the young punks say -- "If it's too loud, you're too old."

Good luck getting that 650 pound pig to fly "on demand." :p

More flow + more fuel = wheelie on demand.
Not quite. Your Gen II has a longer wheelbase, in part to curb wheelies. ;) It's got 145 Hp. Ya could just learn to use all of that. Go find the rev limiter in 3rd.

Just how much extra HP are you expecting? My experience with a PC III, K&N filter, and aftermarket (Leo Vince)exhaust suggests you might get a couple of HP, but I haven't experimented with mine very much. I certainly can't run away from other FJR's that are not similarly equipped (even with my Custom Dyno Tune). "Wheelies on demand" with this heavy a bike, the forward weight distribution and the long wheelbase aren't as simple as it sounds. IMHO, the major advantage of the PC III is to tame the engine behavoir somewhat at lower RPM to reduce jerky throttle response. Not to say you can't get a little more out of the motor but...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...for the record, I was kidding when I said "wheelie on demand" I know it's a big bike, just wanted to make it smoother and take advantage of better flow, better tuning and smooth it out a bit. I went from a 650lb Harley to a 650lb sport touring bike, neither of these will wheelie on demand, but they WILL wheelie with the proper application of throttle and clutch. Now, back to the original topic....

I don't mean to be unfriendly, JSL, but please do us all a favor and keep your cans intact. More noise is not going to help motorcyclists. Two more horsepower, if you actually achieve that, will not be noticeable. The FJR makes a very cool sound as-is (if you had a Honda ST13 I'd say "go for it!")

Call me a geezer (I am) but noise is hurting our sport. I want to keep riding on public roads everywhere. Having a legal bike is a small price to pay for that.

pete :to_become_senile:

I don't mean to be unfriendly, JSL, but please do us all a favor and keep your cans intact. More noise is not going to help motorcyclists. Two more horsepower, if you actually achieve that, will not be noticeable. The FJR makes a very cool sound as-is (if you had a Honda ST13 I'd say "go for it!")

Call me a geezer (I am) but noise is hurting our sport. I want to keep riding on public roads everywhere. Having a legal bike is a small price to pay for that.

pete :to_become_senile:
I agree with you on the noise issue. There are many Harleys in the area that think "louder is better" and they are doing nothing to promote the sport of motorcycling. I was just trying to make it sound a little lower in resonance. I don't want to annoy the neighbors or draw attention to myself with the local LEOs.