Canyon Cages vs Ruchka Gaza crash bars vs...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

someguy

Reaction score
I've always like the idea of canyon cages (two dirt naps on this bike, shoulda thought of them earlier)

I am interested in perspective on canyon cages and the Ruchka Gaza (see link below) or any other similar products.

i'm interested in the collectives thoughts in general.

1. anyone ever leaned over far enough (knee down) to touch down with these?? (imagine there is no forgiveness at speed)

2. installation ease?

3. any downside? does this risk damage to a mounting point on the engine? frame?

4. other questions i should be asking?

my bike is 2010

i want to mount some type of forward peg for long distance comfort

maybe mount light brackets

i don't want to touch down when i lean it over

https://www.ruchkagaza.com/product-page/yamaha-fjr1300-a-ae-as-es-2006-2018-crash-bars-yccs-model

the website shows two different models as well as rear guards. (some riders on other FJR sites who have installed are happy and say the cage is tucked in a little tighter to the bike than the CC...

(I have no affiliation or experience with either of these products)

I have canyon cages on my Gen 2 - front and rear - the rear cages are actually for the Gen 3 bikes (larger tube diameter 1" instead of 3/4"). I have highway pegs on the front - you can find 3/4" clamps at JP Cycles. You can mount them on the vertical bars or the horizontal. Mine are on the vertical - lots of hard parts would touchdown long before these do. The rear bag guards could be a touchdown point - personally i do not lean that far so even a peg scrape is a rare event. Initially i would hit my shins on the front guards. They are very hard and your shin loses the battle every time. I have adjusted my posture and contact is not as frequent now. I used to ride without bags frequently - the rear bag guards make it look really odd with no bags. The bags are on all of the time now. That is actually a benefit - i keep spare gloves and stuff in the bags - there have been a couple of instances now where that came in really handy even on a day ride. Plus the bags aren't hanging around the garage waiting to get kicked as I walk through. Mounting was easy - took a matter of minutes.

Joe

I haven't seen anyone with the rucka cages yet... but they do have gen 1 available, so they piqued my interest a little. Not quite there yet.

Russian Gaza cage. Not really much room to mount lights on it, I'm actually thinking of clamping them onto the crash bungs.

The instructions are more of a packing list really, and it's not very accurate even then. Seems to be good quality tho.

20180505_150927.jpg

Check out T-Rex crash bars. Love mine and within 1 week after installing them I put them to the test. No damage at all on the bike.

Dave