Carbtune around Seattle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my guess some o-ring or the valve cover gasket was pinched/screwed up.
I would make sure they put new v/c gasket on it, even if they put a new one before. Wouldn't want that kinked/leaking gasket back on.

That really sucks having to deal with that b/s.

Hope you get it straighten out. On the brighter side at least you didn't just take off on long road trip and find out it's leaking bad in the middle of nowhere.

Seeing how much it leaks makes me question how did they get the bike to warm up for the TBS after valves check and didn't notice that..
Maybe they did the TBS while it was still in cold fast idle stage, and maybe why it won't idle now. Some "Flat Rate Joe" couldn't wait for it to warm up.

Just a thought.

No news on the fix yet however I have another question to the more savvy: Can the leak in the valves cover affect somehow vacuum generation and stability or otherwise be connected to idle issues?

A leaking V/C gasket won't cause a vacuum leak, but if the oil leak runs the engine out of oil that will affect the idle.

Nothing yet. I was on the phone with them on Saturday, they still didn't get to it. Monday all the shops are closed. I still cross my fingers to be able to pick it up on Friday. The only update yet is that my own carbtune arrived over the weekend so now I have two in the garage. I'll make sure to post the outcome.

An update: Just picked up my bike today. The shop replaced the valve cover gasket, "glued it to the valve cover", installed new orings on the coolant pipe where it enters the valve cover, replaced the coolant. They even washed the bike. The idle was a bit better this time but the bike would still die when fully warmed up.
no2.gif

Got home, put Dave's carbtune on it and did the TBS following the Unauthorized Throttle Body Sync from Candy Butt Association. I cross checked it with my new carbtune and it seems to be running just fine now.
punk.gif
I'll have to take it tomorrow for a few hour spin just to triple check everything but, while still crossing my fingers, after almost a month of dealing with this whole crap I may actually have my ride back!

Am I 100% happy? No, by far stretch no!

Am I happy I most likely have my bike back and ready to go? HELL YEAH!!!

One more carbtune available in the area and I'm happy to help if someone thinks TBS exceeds his/her "wrenching skills".