Cat Convertor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rontoride

Reaction score
As a new FJR rider I have done almost everything suggested on cutting the heat flow. Have wondered if anyone has maybe put a shield over the cat conv. to direct about 1500 degrees of heat out the side. Autos have a shield over the cats to keep heat off of the floor boards. Also anyone removed the innards of the cat in order to cool exhaust????????thanks, new member but old old rider.

As an aside, Frank gets the converterectomy this winter. He's not looking forward to it....... ;)

Frank been over to the neighbor's garage boinkin' that Harley again, eh? Shoulda got 'em fixed when you first brought him home... :shock:

Getting 'em fixed makes them fat and lazy. On the other hand, the offspring between a Harley and a Feejer make just result in the world's fastest Ural !

He's talking about a crossover pipe, so that off the headers of a V8, you have 2 short straights, a h pipe connecting the 2 sides, then the duals back from that. It serves the same function as a crossover pipe in scooter exhaust, creating an artificially larger volume system than would be possible with each header feeding an individual pipe to termination. Its a torque improver due to the better scavenging at low velocity, and a horsepower improver due to the larger effective volume of the system, somewhat like getting a 2 1/2" system to flow like a 3" would. The same thing is accomplished more or less by the cat chamber-it is a common dump, though it's back a ways, it's pretty damn close to the headpipes, and accomplishes the same thing. There are also connectors at the headpipe, so that 2 pipes are shared by each jug. This is an assumption on my part-they are there for this purpose, for strengthening the head pipe, or both.

Prof. rad

Last edited by a moderator:
Dale Walker of Holeshot is finalizing his header. He's through with the straight pipes set up and is now working on including a crossover. If it improves performance than that's the final design. If it doesn't than he's sticking to the original configuration. Either way it should be late summer availability. I'm gonna be the first kid on my block to have one!

The coated pipes rock. I must say, really cleans things up. That ugly cat and post pipes really destroy the look of our otherwise flawless rides.

-BD

Radman,

I thought that's exactly what the stock FJR headers were. That's why I asked for a clarification. What's the difference between the present setup and the "proposed" X-type header?

dobias

The Bassani X-PIPE shown is a straight pipe, with no cats.

Those two other pipes with the bulges have converters, but the XPIPE depicted does not.

I don't know what the gains on the FJR would be, but I know on a Mustang GT, just pulling the exhaust system off the car from the end of the exhaust manifolds, and replacing with an X-Pipe and hi flow cats/muffler nets a 25HP or more gain.

On the FJR, if just replacing the slip ons with a set of Staintunes or Holeshots provides dyno tested gains, one would think with a proper cat replacement there would be even more benefits.