Catalunya qualifying

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feejer222

Reaction score
Spanish truckers protesting over fuel prices threaten to block off circuit for race day. What that will achieve I can't imagine.

Brit 125 rider 16(?) yr old Bradley Smith had a bad crash in the last laps of the qualifying session. A similar high-side to Hopkins he went down the front of the bike and managed to get back and slid along the side of the bike. He and the bike went into the tyre wall and the bike bounced in the air and came own on top of him. We wait to hear how he is. He qualified 8th.

MotoGP

Lorenzo thought he was in China when he came round. He will take no further part in this weekends racing.

Hopkins has a back problem and has to be helped on and off the bike but is out for qualifying.

All riders complaining of traction issues, the track is very slippy.

Vast changes between morning and afternoon making tyre choices a big issue.

55 To go Nakano fastest.

54:50 To go Toseland fastest

54:23 To go Hayden fastest

53:49 to go Pedrossa fastest

52 To go Rossi fastest

51 To go Edwards fastest

Changing every 30 seconds at the moment.

49 To go Capirossi fastest. Capirossi looking fast, Suzuki going well. 1:42.989

Hayden looking fast, 7th fastest at 44 minutes to go has been complaining about traction control taking away too much power and been insisting that it's turned down. Possibly others been doing it and thats whats causing the crashes on this slippy track.

42 To go Pedrossa crashes no sight of him, just crashed bike.

Number 2 bike being prepared as Pedrossa returns to garage unmarked, no damage to bike either, would appear it was a breakdown.

Update....bike burst into flames whilst on track!!!

At 41 to go

Cap

Ver

Ros

Sto

Edw

Ped

RdP

Tos

Dov

36 To go Stoner fastest 1:42.710

Cause of Tony Elias crash yesterday was water dripping from a pedestrian bridge onto track. Bike was destroyed.

33 To go DePunier goes 2nd. Possibly first out on a qualifying tyre.

Stoner very pissed at DeAngelis over getting in the way and trying to get a tow, waving his foot then sitting up and turning round and wagging a finger at him.

30 To go

Stoner

DePunier

Capirossi

Vermulen

Rossi

Nakano

Edwards

Pedrosa

Toseland

Dovizioso

Hayden

DeAngelis

Hopkins

Elias

Guintoli

Melandri

West

Pedrossa's number 1 bike pushed down pit lane with a cover over it.

Kawasaki press release after Mugello Hopkins and West very unhappy. Hopper after 2 break-downs "this must not be allowed to happen again". West "It isn't me the bike just wont go any faster".

25 To go Toseland on a very hot lap

24 to go Tose goes Pole YEEHAAAAA!

23 to go DePunier takes pole...Bugger!

Qualifying tyres now being used with 22 minutes left to go. Pedrosa puts himself on the front row on bike 2 on race tyres. The mechanics working feverishly on bike 1.

Most teams have 4 qualifying tyres per rider, total of 30 rears and 18 fronts for the weekend per rider.

17 To go Edwards fastest. Toseland stays on the front row after anpther fast lap. First time at this circuit.

Rossi looks silly with his soccer kit leathers with pink arms and legs. His helmet looks cool painted to look like a soccer ball.

15 To go Toseland comes in for tyres. Edwards still fastest.

13 To go

Edw

RdP

Sto

Tos

Ped

Hay

Dov

DeA

Nak

Point 3 of a second covers the top 4

11 To go Edwards goes faster still 1:41.609 Absoloute track record.

10 To go Rossi comes in and changes bikes, taking time over getting other bike ready and only has time for 2 more tyres.

9 To go Capirossi runs off track.

8:30 to go Rossi goes out.

Speed limit on pit lane 30mph (?). When time is tight the fine is an accepted sacrifice to get out in time for an extra quick lap.

7 To go Pedrossa goes pole on bike 2. 1:41.561

6:42 to go DePunier goes 2nd by 4 hundredths of a second.

Stoner on a hot lap

5:56 To go Stoner can only do 1:41.6

5:25 To go Hayden takes pole 1:41.558

4:50 To go Rossi on a hot lap runs onto the grass, comes back in to change bikes again.

Suspicion that Hayden is on the pneumatic valved engine Honda deny it.

3:45 Melandri crashes

Hay

Ped

Dep

Edw

Sto

Dov

Tos

DeA

nak

2:32 Tose goes out on a scorching lap

1:49 Tose faster but only up to 6th

Elias breaks pit lane speed limit to get out.

0:08 To go Pedrossa takes pole 1:41.269

0:00 To go Stoner takes pole 1:41.186

Still riders out on final lap

Hayden goes faster than his own time but not fast enough to take pole. Has to be on air valved engine!!!

GO NICKY!!!!!

Looks like a great race tomorrow.

Bridgestone 2.......Michelins 5 poles this year.

Grid:

Stoner

Pedrosa

Hayden

DePunier

Edwards

Toseland

DaVizioso

Vermulen

Rossi

DeAngelis

Nakano

Capirossi

Elias

Hopkins

Guintoli

Last edited by a moderator:
great stuff feejer thnx for posting, looking forward to the race tomorrow.

> Pedrosa's number 1 bike pushed down pit lane with a cover over it.

Is this to possibly hide the air-valve bitsas? I don't think it went boom?

Sure is strange to see Hayden on the front row, but you know he's going to go backwards. :(

> Sure is strange to see Hayden on the front row, but you know he's going to go backwards. :(
I wouldn't be too sure, that is by far the best qualifying he has had this year. Maybe he has clicked with the circuit, maybe he has the new engine. Don't forget he did an even quicker time than the time that put him on the front row, just not quick enough to move up a place.

The big problem for all is the traction problems with the track itself, there will be a lot of fallers. I hope Hayden and Toseland can take advantage of that and get a decent result. If I could pick the podium and leave aside my obvious choice of Toseland for a moment, I would have Hayden and West up there With Edwards on the top. Sorry, I just can't cheer for Hopkins while he wears those rediculous caps to hide his ears! Why the hell doesn't someone tell him?

Let's not overlook Guintoli either. Last time out he went from dead last into the first corner to finish 4th.

Should be a great race whatever the case. How many of you guys can watch it live?

Last edited by a moderator: