Catskill Mountains Weekend-Whim

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
Forecast was 2B GORGeous for this weekend (9/28-29).

My honey wanted to do a "fall foliage" trip on the bike (surprising me somewhat). OK, I blurt out, "hey, let's go to the Cats'?" (one of my favorites!) She says "awesome! [hey, I'm getting excited] then comes the... "I want a one-on-one romantic trip with you!" oh, crap. Okay, I'm game. At least I get to ride the Cats.

So Debbie's conditions are... (and more are adding up as we start planning, gay life has gotta be so much easier!)

-No buddies and no beer drinking belching crap.

-Keep it around 300mi/day and not much more.

-It better be a nice Hotel, or else! (I won't get any, that's what else!) ;)

-Hotel has to have a jacuzzi (ja-cooc-kee).

-Wine in hotel for showering and before/during dinner.

-I have to put out a full body massage after dinner upon arriving back at hotel.

No biggie, now I lay out my demands!

-Not taking the quick (slab) way just to get there to hop in a stinking jacuzzi.

-I plan the route entirely, you go where I say (except for the hotel), and when I say.

That's it for me. I just wanna be riding-happy :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sat 9/28, lil after 8am, time for "Shove off". Gips is loaded with my roads/route. Indicates 308mi. to 9A (heavily populated w hotels/restaurants) where I will seek Debbie's desired shelter for the nite....

DSC00640_zpsb52f5133.jpg

Leaving my house, we have some early morning fog...

DSC00642_zps26bf35db.jpg

1st stop was Norwich NY for some energy drinks and bagels. I've now got Debbie complaining about how her helmet makes her hair look like shit. I'm just starting "now" to know why I like riding with the guys much more...

DSC00643_zps65926592.jpg

DSC00644_zps8fe9fdb7.jpg

Cascading your way down into the Cats' is really a fun ride. The more you go, the more you achieve that big ole smile!

DSC00646_zps09033188.jpg

A few more "leg stretchers" than normal when I'm with my honey. Would not need a RDL seat evah! (not that I have one anyways!)

DSC00648_zps507b5ffe.jpg

We passed through "Geezers" hometown (Greg, you lucky bass-tard! what great riding you have right in your friggen backyard!). This pic was at a gas station outside of Woodstock, we (probably more so Deb) get the stare down from the HD crowd...

DSC00645_zpseba6d2c9.jpg

I missed tons of the twisty pics, I just was having too much fun to even think about stopping. When I did it was on the boring flat stretches... (sorry, my lame ass g/f wouldn't take the camera!)

DSC00659_zps4d3871e5.jpg

DSC00658_zpse897cabc.jpg

Houses were getting stranger looking, we must be gett'n closer to the Cats!

DSC00660_zps4740a933.jpg

Roads were now really getting to my liking, plus the colors of the foliage were starting show some bling

DSC00657_zps29c5d335.jpg

Even though I've been down here several times, I just simply love these Mountains. For pure riding, I prefer the Cats' over all other North East destinations (Sorry NERDS/Vt.). It's like every road is awesome (avoiding Rte 28 and some other touristy roads of course!). Tons of roads to be had... yeah, yeah... they're all straight as an arrow...

DSC00649_zps054d7a68.jpg

Every stop just seemed to have something funny or interesting, couldn't pass up this Kodak moment with Deb (and it is a true fact!) ;)

DSC00666_zpsf6852b0a.jpg

Out of the Mountains now crossing at Poughkeepsie shooting fro Rte9 (avoid!! sucks!! stop lights everywhere!!) anyway it was the place that I knew I could find a room close to a nice restaurant for walking (drunk) distance. It was Sat nite, I had my work cut out for me. 3rd place was the charm for vacancy. It was a Hilton located right next door to a Charlie Browns Steak House. Purrfect!

DSC00650_zps605a59ca.jpg

Wasn't worth any $199/nite however! oh well, this part was about Debbie anyways...

DSC00652_zpsd438e38d.jpg

Great dinner, premo-fabulous nite... I'll withhold and spare you the sex cabarat shit. In the AM we wake up to more fog (view from our balcony)...

DSC00651_zps9aac54df.jpg

Loading up, it was barely 45deg out. The nite really dipped the temps. Deb didn't complain, I was surprised and thinking... hmmm.. "Deb musta got what she wanted alrighty!" (and she does admit to being a nympho btw). I don't care, I got the ride I wanted in also! (BIKE RIDE that is!)

DSC00655_zps60f94e0a.jpg

1st stop; Breakfast! Late but I passed on the Hilton's complimentary breakfast for a more Cat's Country experience. So we head across the Hudson to get back up in the Cat's as quick as we can. Our Bfast stop is quite unique to say the least, Deb's soaking up the sun as we finally get some 60's hitting us...

DSC00664_zps077ea1a4.jpg

DSC00661_zpsfe4ad6a1.jpg

One of my trip goals was to ride the 4 main reservoirs down in the Cats. The big Ashokan (looped it yesterday), Rondoit; one side yesterday, the other today and the westerly ones; Pepactan and Cannonsville. Eventually getting back up to my neck of the woodsand keeping Debbie happy at the 300mi/day mark (I may cheat a bit here or there, she won't know anyway till it's too late!) ;)

Spotwalla/Bubbler-Pro w 5-min pings full trip viewer here

Catskills_spot_zoom_zpsd95fedcc.jpg

Mountain Goats? For real. Easy boys, don't get too excited.

(Best part of this, Debbie.. "why you taking a picture of that?" ME.. "If you only knew honey!"

DSC00667_zpsc8902804.jpg

Back in familiar turf now (Ithaca) we try to hit a lunch at the Train Depot... Sunday.. Closed! WTF?

DSC00668_zps9f02aa04.jpg

Now in the upper 70's, Deb loses her riding pants. I give her the ATGATT speech, does no good whatsoever.

DSC00672_zps73567a52.jpg

DSC00670_zpsaaa10966.jpg

We need some late lunch/dinner now and Deb is craving a Beer? (yeah, Ms Wine lady has switched gears). She insists we hit a juice joint before we get home. I however plans for an additional stop prior (up Rte 89, along Cayuga Lake we go)...

DSC00679_zps9d705cd7.jpg

The falls is actually higher (drop distance) than nearby Niagara Falls. Puny is volume comparison however but it still has it's place for a quick photo-stop...

DSC00676_zps31c5f5e7.jpg

DSC00677_zpsb6a9a5d3.jpg

Hungry and thirsty, I got the place in mind and it's just up Rte 89 about 10 more miles. I never took Deb there b/c I use to date the bartender and felt it good to keep that place to my own. Guess not anymore. Welcome to O'Malleys on the Lake honey...

DSC00680_zps4e470b2b.jpg

Great food, if you are in this area evah? Must Stop!

DSC00681_zps7ef52177.jpg

After Amber (bartender) gave me the big smile and "so, how have you been?, I haven't seen you in like forever!" delio... I had some explaining. It didn't go all that well. Deb had 2 beers, left her food untouched and booked out the door (no joke)...

DSC00682_zps48df70d8.jpg

Yes, I have a very jealous G/F. It probably didn't help that the bartender is beautiful with gorgeous eyes (do I have to also mention huge firm titties that stand up and say hello to ya when you talk to her?) hmmm. guess not.

Anyways...It was a great 2 day venture even though the desert part of the trip went kinda south. She calmed down later and said she was really pissed when she heard her name, made the connection and that she saw it in my cell's phonebook one nite when snooping. Putting 2+2 together along with Ambers looks just lit her up I guess.

Note to my foot in my mouth: (and earlier in this report) didn't I mention being gay must be easier?

'nuff said. Can't wait to ride the Cats' again!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT IN

Oh, one last report.

(Mainly for Fred W) ...about the FatSider that I run (190/55). Basically how you don't use all the rubber (chix strips) especially or more so with the fatty's. True, you have a tad more waste of good rubber that never gets to be used. Me? Don't really care, sometimes I can't finish my entire meal at dinner either. So? yes, the dumpster gets some, my tummy doesn't. So be it. This was riding 2-up w Deb. She pats me on the back if I get too spirited for her likings. [i personally hate it when I'm seeking the apex of a turn and get a pat on the back]. She's getting better and maybe I will use even more of the 190's girth soon...

DSC00685_zpse8ca99a9.jpg

Nice report. It is a little early for the peak of the leafing season, but they are getting colorful. I was on that same tight (marked 5 mph) curve in your picture this weekend. The one on the eastern end of Minewaska.
bike.gif

Nice report!

I bet it was nice and chilly in the AM around the reservoirs.

I'll have to book my return visit to Geezer's house some time. :)

KJ,

Here's a little link to share with Debbie before the next time she decides it's too hot for the gear.

She's worried about the helmet hair? How about how messy her entire body would look after a get off in those stylish designer jeans.

At least you've got her wearing an armored jacket and decent helmet and not a spaghetti strap halter top and bandana.

BTW - No worries about those chicken strips there, man. Everyone knows you fatsiders are all show and no go!
tonguesmiley.gif

Nice report. It is a little early for the peak of the leafing season, but they are getting colorful. I was on that same tight (marked 5 mph) curve in your picture this weekend. The one on the eastern end of Minewaska.
bike.gif
Yepp, Minewaska State Park (edge I believe). As said, ur a lucky dawg!

Say, when we stopped in Shandaken, I asked an elderly lady crossing the street (gotta love modular helmets!) if she knew where a good looking bike-riding guy with handlebar twisted mustache just might hangout? She said "oh son, they aint'n no hillbilly guy like that liv'n round these parts!" Man, priceless, almost peeholed my panties. I needed a beer right then and there.

Hey, If NERDS doesn't migrate to include Cats'... you should ponyup and host a smaller roundup ( yes, I will volunteer to help). Dude, you are hiding some great riding in your neck of the woods. I know it's "old-hat" to you cuz you live there (taken for granted may even be an understatement). Give it up bro! Share sum love!

Nice report!
I bet it was nice and chilly in the AM around the reservoirs.

I'll have to book my return visit to Geezer's house some time.
smile.png
Book it Dano, around this time or a week or so later for maybe peek color. Maybe Greg will be a host and organize a Cats ride sometime! (If NERDS doesn't migrate this way of course)

KJ,
Here's a little link to share with Debbie before the next time she decides it's too hot for the gear.

She's worried about the helmet hair? How about how messy her entire body would look after a get off in those stylish designer jeans.

At least you've got her wearing an armored jacket and decent helmet and not a spaghetti strap halter top and bandana.
I know Fred, I tried. I showed her the Chaps 'ass burn image' from a post back in the springtime. At least she's not wanting them anymore. It's tough keeping my woman "stylish" but safe(er). Maybe a sermon from you sometime will help..hey, I'll supply all the liquid refreshment you can handle... I just hope you can handle it! lmao
no.gif
haha.gif

...I'll supply all the liquid refreshment you can handle... I just hope you can handle it! lmao
no.gif
haha.gif
Don't tell me Fred was pukin at NERDS!

biggrin.png

No, no, Mark. I'm not the pukin' type.

I think he's talking about me "handling" the backlash from his GF when I give her the ATGATT speech.
YUUP! This will be entertainment at it's best. (I'll be pulling up a chair with my own brews)

If you get anywhere with here, I'm hiring you to do much more work for me! Yes, you just may be buying a new '14 FJR very soon!

She's not mean, it will be cutesy laughing stuff.

The bottom line, I want her wear something not because it's stylish or pretty in her mind, but because it may work to her being stylish sometime down the line. Like scars are not very stylish.

Coming from a veteran like Freddie, it may hit home. Hope it does!

Coming from me? She knows my crazy past and what stunts and chances I have taken/done. Doesn't work for me to preach this ATGATT to her. Yes, my past has not dictated a good future as examples are lead by. My father was always right, you learn this I guess later in life. Sometimes too late.

RIP, Pops.

Last edited by a moderator: