Cdog joins crash club two up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, I hate to hear of yet another, but I'm glad you were boyh wearing the gear. I'm especially interested since I have the same gloves and pants.

I would be real surprized if they don't total the bike from the looks of it. Especially if the fork is bent.

Cdog: I have those same gloves, got mine from Cycle Gear I believe the price was $69.99 about half what you were charged. Your Alpine boots I wear them also you cant beat Alpine Star gear especially their boots always top notch

NIce to hear you INS. company is working with you. I considered them but was a little high for me

I see a deal being made on a new 08 schweet.....................

Glad y'all are good to go. You will replay it in your head many times, but you already know you did things right - you both were up and about on scene. I've heard that Dr. Jack helps with the soreness.

Did you have a passenger backrest in place? I've often wondered about my SO being able to get away from the bike with it on my bike if the need arose.

Cdog,

Sorry about the crash. Glad to hear you came out of it OK. Also, thanks for your detailed post, both about the riding and the gear.

I won't be offerring any safety advice though. We all push it a little. Any lessons learned apply to us all!

BTW, were you up on East Canyon Saturday as well?

Lake,,, I am taking it to South Valley. I personally dont care for plaza. Just some bad expieriences in the past.

Weekend, These gloves were about a buck fifty and I got them from Cyclegear on sale. I will buy them again and get some for the SO.. They had a chart above the glove rack. I bought the one that was rated the best for, well, crashing just like I did. They were gauntlet style and worked well

I will get the same boots as well.. My pants took a big hit.... But they did their job... I went back to the scene today... We slid just under 150 feet. So considering Kenra and I had ZERO!! Road rash... I will take that anyday

spklbuk Had the givi on. That was the E52 with the backrest pad on it... Kenra says "Nothin to it but the seperation is a bit vauge for her memory" but not even a bruise, NADA on her..

I think, if you take away I did not give myself any "leway" I did the best I could.... I just "rode it to ground: "Ride the bike" Much to my suprise, I did not panic, even tho I knew I was going down... I was too busy riding the bike

heritic, No I was on east the Sunday last weekend and Sunday this past weeknd. I kid you not,,, right now when there are little or no campers the road is pretty open.. Just those bikcycle riders and those cross country ski folks practising on the boards with wheels...

That road is getting bumpy in some of those 20mph about faces. Hope they dont let it go to long before they fix it. Last sunday past (8 days ago) I had to stand it up in one turn and scrub off hard and lay back into it.... FREAKIN SNOW in the corner on the road on the apex, Messed my line all up LMAO .... I had left myself some leway there, had to use it too

Mike, Dude, I got that stuff at WFO.. I have the same one you tested >lol<

I am glad I did not need it and my "Other" gear did its job.!!

ATGATT !! Saved Our ASS!!

Lookie here when replacing your gear.
Kevlar is your friend!
-1, -woof

Kevlar is only your friend if it is NOT the top layer. Most if not all road racing organizations will not let you race in leathers that have Kevlar as the outer layer, with the exception if areas like the back of the knees, under arm areas. In any of the impact areas Kevlar is not allowed, because it acts like the soft side of Velcro and the asphalts acts like the hooks.

Needless to say the Kevlar can start to grab the asphalt and cause you to start tumbling, and that leads to more significant injuries.

Road race organizations want leather. And only leather that is designed for racing with reinforced seams stronger zippers, etc... Your link does lead to a source of good leathers that are not to expesnive. You do get what you pay for when it comes to leathers though. Ususally the ones in the ~$1000 range have better zippers, double or triple reinforced seams and fit better. Loose leather can be as dangours to you as the Kevlar situation described above.

Leather is cheaper than skin, so I always look for something that fits properly.

my $.02

Interesting take about kelvar.. Feedback I had not heard before and reasoning behind it... Good job....

I wondered if it is so good why is it not used everywhere. Your perspective puts new,,,,, perspective on it..

I still like my Kelvar suit. Never tested it... But what I had on worked for sure

That IS interesting and something I've not heard. I know that anything made of nylon can melt into your skin. My kevlar mesh gear didn't "tumble" me during my crash-test, I just slid along the road @ 35-40 mph until I hit the guardrail with my helmet.

Kevlar is a good reenforcement underneath the leather for the padded protectors and for some back protectors have Kevlar built into them to prevent something from puncturing trough the back protector into the spine. The one made by Bohm does that I think.

One more thing now that I took a closer look at your pics of the damage to the suits. They look like areas that many of the manufacturers make padded inserts. If they are you may want to look into getting the suit sized so you can wear the pads comfortably. The do a couple things for you. First they spread out the impact area so it minimizes your chance of a break or injury from the impact, second if the leather does wear through or rip, the pad will add another layer of protection before the road rash gets to skin.

Unfortunately I have tested them virtues of the leather suit on the race track at very high speeds. The good thing is the suit held up and did it job as did the padding and back protector.

Glad to see that both of you wear the right gear when you ride. You never know when you will be depending on it...I am happy to see your SO comments about the accident. And that she is getting back on to ride again. :clapping: :yahoo:

Keep the rubber side down.

That IS interesting and something I've not heard. I know that anything made of nylon can melt into your skin. My kevlar mesh gear didn't "tumble" me during my crash-test, I just slid along the road @ 35-40 mph until I hit the guardrail with my helmet.

I think it has to do with being prepared for get-offs on the track that could be well in excess of 100 mph.

I think it has to do with being prepared for get-offs on the track that could be well in excess of 100 mph.
I was thinking that very thing. IF that were the case for me, I'd be buying and wearing the best leather I could afford. In my case, I have to ride in 100+ degree temps for hours in the summer, so I need to find a "middle ground". Perforated leather doesn't help in the area I live as its just too hot. Mesh gear is the best trade-off I could come up with and having seen what nylon based gear does (personally having had FirstGear overpantspants come apart) I chose the Kevlar mesh. My other thought is that most crashes end with a street rider of our genre hitting the pavement at considerably less speed than a racer would. In my estimation, each of the accident threads currently at the top of the threads, the rider "hit pavement" at less than 35-40 mph after braking and slowing as much as they could.

Leather is always the best. That has been proven for generations on the race track. But for those who can't ride everyday in leather, other options must be explored.

Leather is always the best. That has been proven for generations on the race track. But for those who can't ride everyday in leather, other options must be explored.
I agree. The main thing is to wear the best gear you can find for the conditions you are riding in. B)

I just slid along the road @ 35-40 mph until I hit the guardrail with my helmet.
Uhhhh...yeah. That'll slow you down every time. :rolleyes:
Its not the "slow down", its that sudden stop! You know it was a "good-one" when you vaguely remember the lifeflight helicopter and awaken in intensive care hours later. Definitely NOT RECOMMENDED!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread:

Robin, be sure and keep us updated as to your healing and the bike estimate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 99.5% now. I took the thingy off my arm. It gets in the way and it is just a bruise/sprain As stated before, Kenra has 100% nothing. Not even a sore spot from the get off.

Bike will be going to the doctor hopefully today at worse tomarrow. They say the estimate is about a week out before they can do the tear down

One more thing now that I took a closer look at your pics of the damage to the suits. They look like areas that many of the manufacturers make padded inserts. If they are you may want to look into getting the suit sized so you can wear the pads comfortably. The do a couple things for you. First they spread out the impact area so it minimizes your chance of a break or injury from the impact, second if the leather does wear through or rip, the pad will add another layer of protection before the road rash gets to skin.
His Kevlar Cycleport stuff comes with 3 layer armor. It's darn good stuff and spread the force of the impact he had over his torso instead of it being focused on his rib cage. You could see the imprint of the armor on him!

Out of the suit, here is the armor:

DSC00206.jpg

I dont think it is abrasion resistance here. It is the tumble factor. I am glad I did not tumble nor did kenra. However. Another 30 feet sliding and my denim would have been gone. My ass cheek was next. The pants ate 100% of the way through. Close call