Changing Dogbones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dobias,

Where does the 12mm come from? If the rear is lowered don't you want to lower the front the same amount?

I have MCL risers but they will not allow the tubes to raise up through the triple T without modification.

AKfjr,

The 12 mm max. is the limit determined by the FJ Club in England, and is a result of their collective experience in lowering the FJR's from the beginning of the FJR models.

Lowering more than that will allow the suspension to bottom out resulting in damage to the brake lines... and that is without having a fork brace added!

I can't imagine the conflict you've encountered with the handlebar risers. The black plastic knob for the rebound adjustment is the first thing to hit on the bottom side of the handlebars. That is whether there's risers or not, in my experience. If you're saying the riser blocks are preventing the fork tubes from sliding up through the triple tree, I'd say something is wrong.

dobias <_<

Dobias,

The MCL risers installed protrude out over the fork tubes just enough to keep them from coming up thru the triple T. I plan to file down the side of the riser block to provide clearance. I talked with Larry about this and he had not had anyone requesting this. By filing down the side of the riser I will remove the powder coating. What options do I have to match the finish? Most of it may be covered by the tube.

Does anyone have any experience with dropping the rear more than the front as to affecting the handling of the bike

Thanks

akfjr

AKfjr,

Did I forget to mention my bike has the rear lowered one inch and the front lowered a half inch (12mm) ?

If you use the lowering links, you'll definately want to stiffen the stock shock with a spacer. They were sold by HMarc but he doesn't sell them any more. Try to get one of the 1/8", 3/16" & 1/4"spacers from a kind understanding soul on this site.

The Wilber's shock can be purchased as a shorter shock or even adjustable.

I filed the sidestand stop so the sidestand will swing past center allowing the bike to lean. You could add washers behind the sideatand attachment point to get additional lean. If you don't do any modifications, the bike will be too vertical and may tip over to the right.

Using the centerstand is more difficult when lowered but do-able.

dobias <_<

AKfjr,

PS: I have no handling problems. Theoretically, lowering the rear more than the front will require more effort to turn in but I don't notice any difference.

dobias <_<

Dobias

What do the shock spacers do? And where do they go. I have ridden the bike and all seemed well. :rolleyes:

akfjr

AKfjr,

When lowering the bike and longer links are installed instead of the stock links, the leverage changes. In effect, making the shock spring softer. The spacers are large washers that're fitted under the springs and preloading them making them stiffer. If your shock spring is adequate, you're in luck.

Those of us with weight problems need stiffer springs. Apparently Yamaha figures the usual rider is 175 lbs.

dobias <_<

Apparently Yamaha figures the usual rider is 175 lbs.
Wow. For the first time in my life I'm the average guy that they designed something for. 175 lbs. Cool.