Chatterbox

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super d

Reaction score
I went out riding with a friend who was using a Chatterbox intercom, we hit sporadic rain showers so he would keep stopping and taking it off and putting it back on. does anyone have any experience with the Chatterbox in the rain? It sure doesnt look very waterproof to me. :erm:

I have a Chatterbox and am not too thrilled with it. Have not used it in the rain. I’ve had plenty of rain rides, but none with a pillion and the Chatterbox.

That said, it’s an okay intercom up to about 70, then wind noise starts to take over. Not bad, but still it’s not great. Past 75-80, it's useless as an intercom

My major complaint is with the poor quality of their auxiliary connections. I purchased their radio cord and for the first few times it was okay. But after a month or two the connection continued to fail. I’d have to reach up and fiddle with the plug/socket to get the music. Then it was mono… then stereo… then mono. New cords from Radio Shack, switching between a radio and an Ipod – nothing helped. I’ve pretty much given up on it as a gateway to music. Like I said, the intercom function is acceptable, but it’s not the quality unit I’m looking for. Maybe it’s their mic that’s picking up all the wind noise. But I bought their “system.” It should work without me searching for alternative speakers & mic.

Would I buy it again? No. And that’s when it’s dry.

Starcom1 gets it done for quit a bit less than Autocom and Baer.

From the months of homework I did, before buying, all other options are a waste of money. Including Chattercrap. The volume of their customer complains on the forums is hugh.

Highest customer satisfaction seems to be with Autocom, if your pocket is deep enough. Autocom can be found at the closest BMW dealership, which provides customer service.

Chatter box has giant distribution channels, so even their inferior product leads the market.

Starcom1 is British and seems to rely mostly on word of mouth in the USA. For me ~$300 was a lot of money for a toy, but it changed the biking experience.

Baer does not seem very common around here. But I see them advertising in mags. I like their connect strip approach, but I think the price keeps the customers away.

B) :D ;) :alien:

That said, it’s an okay intercom up to about 70, then wind noise starts to take over.  Not bad, but still it’s not great.  Past 75-80, it's useless as an intercom
I have the chatterbox intercom, and I'm not that happy with it. Yes it works, but I had to add some additional foam on the mic to remove the wind noise at higher speeds. My biggest complaint, the wires on the speaker/mic are very susceptible to damage (as I have screwed up two over the years). I have now zip tied mine to my helmet, and rely on the extension cord (this cord is heaver and coiled) to connect to the unit itself. I would say the biggest advantage for me was the availability and relatively low price.

Not me, I plan to do a walky-talky type thing for bike-to-bike when I get around to it (and get a good PTT switch placement), but haven't yet.

My wife and I have used the older ChatterBox FRS models for many years under a variety of conditions. In light rain or moderate rain behind a windshield, they function normally. In a downpour, they'll malfunction within a minute or two. Within a couple of hours, they dry out internally and work just fine.

When we're expecting rain, we slide heavyweight baggies over them, with a twist tie around the antenna to minimize flapping and another to close off the bottom opening. The VOX and volume knobs can still be adjusted through the baggie plastic.

Jon

My Chatterbox HC-50 has been a pain. Right now I think the internal amplifier has failed because my XM Radio is barely audible and overridden with a great deal of static. I am not sure what is going on. I already changed the antennae and replaced the rechargeable batteries without success. Anyway, it was frustrating because the connectors were always working loose. However, unlike Autocom, it came with internal rechargeable batteries that would last 10-12 hours without need for a re-charge. I liked the simplicity of the power supply.

I was thinking about getting a communication system from Chatterbox as well. I think I will have to revise that thought after reading the negative comments and experiences that people have with it. <_<