Cherohala Skyway, Dragon Tail, and camping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC_Yank

Reaction score
After being born and raised in Ohio (not my fault) and now living in North Carolina, I would shutter to have to go back to the buckeye state. Not to get my fellow yankees upset but lets face it.........there is a reason that Jo Dee Messina said, "Head Carolina, Tails California."

While it is true that I will always be referred to as a yankee, (usually $%#% yankee) I love what Carolina has to offer. This past weekend my plate was full of camping and riding the Dragon's Tail, Cherohala Skyway as well as some other less beat paths.

Mrs. NC has gotten into camping, which surprises me.........a good marriage full of good surprise.

Our past camping was the mandatory kind that Uncle Sam had us "volunteer" for when we put our name on the dotted line for 4 years. (Freezing your tail off in Korea in -30 below zero is not camping.......I figure if things get bad over there or anywhere else for that matter.......we got nukes......minds well use them.....it worked in Japan........anyway, I digress....thats another topic). That was 20 years ago and this body has had no desire to sleeping in a tent......at least not until the FJR came around.

My wife in her infinite wisdom found a campsite at the base of US 129, it was called Nelson's Hideaway, she would load up the Avalanche along with the kids and I would follow behind.

While the 4 hour trip there was rather boring to say the least, once we got to the camp site and I had thoughts of hanging around Deals Gap for a couple days made the trip worth while.

My first impression of the camp was not impressive but then again, we were a rock throw from US 129, so we set up camp in a jiffy and then waited for my brother and his entourage to show up. Fate having a funny way of spoiling your plans, my brother showed up just as I was getting on the bike to head to the Gap.

By the time we had his camp set up and made supper it was getting late.

As I said earlier, I was not impress with the campsite and my first impression would prove to be right.

Late that evening the water at the camp ceased to exist which in turn means no bathrooms. By 9 pm the bath houses are full of crap and piss that it was sickening just to go inside. I teach my children that 80% of the people in this world are as dumb as dog feces.......its a wonder that they can walk and talk at the same time. This especially held true this weekend. What makes a person think that if you continue to crap in a toilet until it over flows that some how it will magically go down. And of course the creek that the kids were playing in is now the place to take a piss..............go figure. Evidently the owners say this happens frequently but eventually the water "builds" back up and you will have water again. Well by 6am the next morning there was no water and the 80 percentile were waking up after drinking all night..........making their way back to the bath houses where they could continue to piss and crap in over flowing toilets.

By 7 am we had broken camp and were heading west to find another camp site. As we set west, I was depressed knowing that I had not made it to the Gap.

We eventually ended up in Tennessee at a camp located on US Hwy 64 and Tenn Hwy 30. By now it was 1 pm and by the time we ate and set up camp again it was 4pm. Fortunately my brother and family took the kids swimming while I jump on the bike and survey the surrounding area. I found that I was only about 40 minutes from the Cherohala Skyway, 165 / 143. While it was getting back to camp later that evening was filled with making plans to hit the Skyway on the way back home and then head north on 129 to the Gap.

Eager for Monday morning to come, I was in bed by 10 pm. When Monday moring rolled along so did the clouds. We broke camp and me and Mrs. NC headed toward the Skyway. Just as we got to the Skyway, so did the rain. Time to break out the rain gear............did I say it was MONDAY.........my freakin rain pants and boots are missing............oh well, the jacket would have to do. Anway, while the visibility was poor at times at least I was able to really test my Avons prior to hitting the Gap. I did manage to get a glimpse of an 04 & 05 FJR headed west.

Anway the Avons did great......matter of fact they did so well that I got pissed with a couple of HD riders whose top speed was 25 on the straight aways and 10 - 15 in the curves..........if they were going any faster they probably fall off. I hoped and prayed they would continue on 143 and I could head onto the Gap..............prayer was answered the rain had stopped and I was in the wind. The Dragons Tail was nice......it just was not long enough. The bike performed awesome and the tires held true except for one occassion when I pushed it to hard into a curve past where Killboy was filming.......I hit some gravel but was I back in first gear and on my way.......no one saw it happend so as far as Im concerned it was just a figment of my imagination.

I was so fixed on the road that I missed my tentative route to Hwy 28 to hook up with Mrs. NC on Hwy 19.

I thought there was a break in the Dragon and the next thing I knew I was about 35 miles outside Knoxville Tn. Talk about depressed.......it was now 2pm and I knew I had at least 5 hours before I hit Charlotte NC.

Oh well, at least I figured I could check off the Dragon Tails now and hopefully do it again under dryer conditions. I found myself on I-40 East with those same stupid 80 percentile that have nothing better to do then ram each other in the rear........as well as rubber neck which would back traffic up for an hour.

There ought to be a law that allows one to shoot rubber neckers on site.

Of course the rain was chasing me however more prayers were offered up and answered while heading through the mountains......for now I was staying dry............at least until Asheville. It was there that severe thunderstorms had caught me and lightning was flashing in my peripherial vision. Did I say I did not have my rain pants and boots........well within in an hour my boots were filling up with water. After about another hour of riding the rain subsided however the 80 percentile were still getting in accident and portions of the highway were not able to drain fast enough it was time to exit off the highway.

Exit 221 south seemed like a good choice............a transplant yankee figures anything south is good.

So much for that line of logic.............I think the Dragon was furious with me and decided to send a thunderstorm to chase my butt all the way back to Charlotte. Visibility was piss poor however the 80 percentile were on I-40 and I wasnt...........and while the weather sucked, I decided to look at the bright side...........it was Monday and I was not working...........life aint so bad.

One I hit I-85 south of Charlotte traffic was flowing at 85 mph or better (I was better).

I still had an hour to go before hitting home however it was a sweet ride and looking at my tripometer, I had almost logged 300 miles on one tank of gas..........you do the math.

Mrs. NC had just gotten home herself and unloading the Avalanche when I pulled into the garage........fortunately I made it inside the garage just before the Dragon sent one last thunderstorm my way................life is good.

God + 1 (keeping me safe)

Mrs NC + 1 (just for keeping me)

FJR's + 1

AVONS + 1

Dragon Tail + 1

Cherohala Skyway + 1

HD Riders - 1 (for not pulling over and backing up traffic)

80 percentile -1 (having their heads up their tail)

Camp Nelson Hideaway - 1 (would not recommend)

Overall, not bad.

NC_Yank

PS. Any recommendations about camping gear just for motorcyle riding would be appreciated.....my boys now want to go camping on the FJR alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, Yank
I can't open the pictures... :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Stef
Hey Stef,

This is about the 4th time I have tried to load these....I keep hitting the wrong keys and lose everything.

One last time.........these pictures also include our trip to BRP several weeks ago.

MyBaby.jpg

View toward Claderwood Dam.....I think.

MyBaby2.jpg

CalderwoodDam.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

BRP - awesome ride.

IMAG0045.jpg

swinging bridge that does not swing anymore.

IMAG0019.jpg

Linville Falls.........it rains on us here too.......darn rain.

IMAG0007.jpg

mansion off of BRP

IMAG0033.jpg

My real love

9ce11f13.jpg

At the top of Mt. Mitchell

IMAG0005.jpg

dream home

enjoy...

NC

Last edited by a moderator:
another adventure in motorcycle riding . g;lad you made it home safe . and for the moonshine drinking white trash hillbillys i hope theres shit all over there pants / shorts

Thanks for sharing, NC

I was there (Dragon, BRP, Cherohala Skyway) early last month and loved the area and the roads.

We stayed at the Fontana Resort and moved to the Tapoco Lodge on US129 when a thunderstorm

killed power at the resort.

I share your love for North Carolina, where my wife and I've become regular visitors every summer.

As Europeans we prize the people's attitude, the weather and the vegetation.

Oh well, another 11 months to go :(

Stef