Close Call

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo

Reaction score
It happened on the way to work the other day. It's about 6:30am and about 30 F. This is after it had snowed the previous two days but most of it had melted and the roads appeared clear and dry.

I'm waiting for the light to turn green so I can make a left onto the freeway. I get the green arrow and begin to roll into the LH turn, then it happened. As I'm entering the turn, I goose the throttle, a little too much as there is abosolutely not that much traction available. Cold tire, cold concrete, plus residue left on the road from the salt trucks:angry2:.

The the rear-end begins to slide out from underneath me, so I lay off the throttle. As soon as I do, the rear tire regains traction. The bike suddenly jerks into an upright position and I'm thinking I'm going to high side this thing right in the middle of the intersection. As I'm fighting to get control, I notice my left leg flying around like it was a rag doll. As the bike osciallates bck the other way, my foot slams into the ground and I'm able to regain control. Today my knee is a little sore, but that's about it. I'm not sure how I was able to do it, but I was able to hang on and went on my merry way to work.

Whew...Feeling lucky...

Glad your OK Gizmo, and were able to ride it out. I try not to ride in temps below 40 or so (no matter how tempted I am) for that very reason.

It happened on the way to work the other day. It's about 6:30am and about 30 F. This is after it had snowed the previous two days but most of it had melted and the roads appeared clear and dry.
I'm waiting for the light to turn green so I can make a left onto the freeway. I get the green arrow and begin to roll into the LH turn, then it happened. As I'm entering the turn, I goose the throttle, a little too much as there is abosolutely not that much traction available. Cold tire, cold concrete, plus residue left on the road from the salt trucks:angry2:.

The the rear-end begins to slide out from underneath me, so I lay off the throttle. As soon as I do, the rear tire regains traction. The bike suddenly jerks into an upright position and I'm thinking I'm going to high side this thing right in the middle of the intersection. As I'm fighting to get control, I notice my left leg flying around like it was a rag doll. As the bike osciallates bck the other way, my foot slams into the ground and I'm able to regain control. Today my knee is a little sore, but that's about it. I'm not sure how I was able to do it, but I was able to hang on and went on my merry way to work.

Whew...Feeling lucky...
thank god no harm was done. I live in the snow and ice region and I am always on the lookout for ice, salt and sand. The only remedy for this is to be patient and safe about riding. We all love to do it but lets be safe about it. Your right, count your blessings only your knee is sore.

Yep - it happens fast. Glad you're ok.

I'm still trying to totally understand what happened a couple weeks ago when I dropped mine in stop & go traffic. Uphill right hand turn in the rain, travelling less than 5 mph and coming to a stop I downshifted from second to first but got caught in neutral. As I was almost completely stopped traffic started moving, which is when I noticed I was in neutral. After thinking on it, I've determined that I either lost it when I shifted from neutral to first and the bike lurched, or more than likely I stalled the bike. Tipped it right over on the right side.

Yep - it happens fast. Glad you're ok.
I'm still trying to totally understand what happened a couple weeks ago when I dropped mine in stop & go traffic. Uphill right hand turn in the rain, travelling less than 5 mph and coming to a stop I downshifted from second to first but got caught in neutral. As I was almost completely stopped traffic started moving, which is when I noticed I was in neutral. After thinking on it, I've determined that I either lost it when I shifted from neutral to first and the bike lurched, or more than likely I stalled the bike. Tipped it right over on the right side.
Rick-Sorry to hear about the drop. I've been there too - I'll bet your RH side looks suspiciously like mine now. I'm getting used to new riding boots so I have to make sure I *slam* it into first when downshifting. Typically, I'll stay in N except on uphill slopes at a stop...

Glad your OK Gizmo, and were able to ride it out. I try not to ride in temps below 40 or so (no matter how tempted I am) for that very reason.
Decided to go ahead an ride that morning since it was going to be 60 and sunny that day. The ride home was great...

Scary huh? I had my rear tire slide out a couple of times last summer on what I think was sand. Sure gives you a great big HELLO!

Great save. Yours in one of the reasons I am adding a G2. Sometimes a little blip is just too much and hard to gauge with thick winter gloves.

Good to hear you kept it upright! :clapping:

Typically, I'll stay in N except on uphill slopes at a stop...
WTF are you gonna do if you need to either move out of the way fast or get rear-ended? I'm always in gear and ready to launch, with an escape route planned, if needed.

Ride the bike....

I agree with Toe, glad to hear you are o.k. but don't be in neutral at stops. be ready to get out of the way and leave yourself room to escape.

Gunny with Toecutter and flyball. You only have to be almost rear-ended once to (In my experience) deceide to keep the bike in gear and an escape route handy at stops. My own worst personal experience with the rear end unexpectedly stepping out came on my V-65 Magna on an Interstate on-ramp that was slightly uphill and did a full 180. It was a late fall evening with as I was to find out, a light frost and I suddenly found myself flat tracking my way onto the freeway. Knowing that coming off the throttle would cause the in-evitable high side I called on my years of dirt riding to stay on the trottle and keep the bike heading into the slide. I'm sure it was impressive to the freeway traffic watching a guy powerslide a nearly 600lbs Motorcycle onto the freeway but that is exactly what I did. I'm not recommending it, but nothing good ever comes from chopping the throttle when the bike is in a slide.

Typically, I'll stay in N except on uphill slopes at a stop...
WTF are you gonna do if you need to either move out of the way fast or get rear-ended? I'm always in gear and ready to launch, with an escape route planned, if needed.

Ride the bike....
Yea, I've always had mixed feelings about this for this exact reason. I'll hang on in first until I see traffic coming to a complete stop behind me, with plenty of room in front to escape, (flashing my brake light the whole time) but it's difficult to know what the asshats behind them are doing:glare:

I agree with Toe, glad to hear you are o.k. but don't be in neutral at stops. be ready to get out of the way and leave yourself room to escape.
I see pattern developing here...

Gunny with Toecutter and flyball. You only have to be almost rear-ended once to (In my experience) deceide to keep the bike in gear and an escape route handy at stops. My own worst personal experience with the rear end unexpectedly stepping out came on my V-65 Magna on an Interstate on-ramp that was slightly uphill and did a full 180. It was a late fall evening with as I was to find out, a light frost and I suddenly found myself flat tracking my way onto the freeway. Knowing that coming off the throttle would cause the in-evitable high side I called on my years of dirt riding to stay on the trottle and keep the bike heading into the slide. I'm sure it was impressive to the freeway traffic watching a guy powerslide a nearly 600lbs Motorcycle onto the freeway but that is exactly what I did. I'm not recommending it, but nothing good ever comes from chopping the throttle when the bike is in a slide.
It seems like the consensus is to stay in 1st at stops just in case a quick escape is needed :clapping:

Sounds like a great save Silverbullet :clapping:

I was thinking about not rolling off the throttle as I knew the potential consequences, but there was no way I was going to power slide this thing around the corner without laying it down. So since I was just entering the turn, I took a chance and I got lucky. Oh and today, my knee is feeling a little better, but now the inside of my shin is sore.

It seems like the consensus is to stay in 1st at stops just in case a quick escape is needed :clapping:
I stage with my left foot down, in the left cage tire track (so as not to step in an oil slick), with my clutch lever just at the point of engagement, and throttle ready to go. My right foot is on the rear brake, so my three brake light arrays (OEM, Fred H. Givi and brakeflasher) are lit up until the cage behind is stopped at a safe distance back.

Also, I leave enough room to dart to the left of any cage that may be in front of me, in those rare instances when I don't have room to share to the front of the line and be totally safe from danger behind. Sorry, sharing's a California-only thing, for now. Hope for change....

I've been guilty of keeping it in N at lights in rush hour traffic. With tons of stop and go traffic sometimes in my downtown commute my clutch hand gets tired from feathering so sometimes I give it a rest at the light if I know I'm headed into more feathering traffic. It's a risk, but I'd like to have fresh hands once we're moving.

Anyways--nice save Gizmo! Way to go.

Slightly OT: But why aren't the back of motorcycle boots neon or something? When I put my feet down at a light I'm always thinking that my black riding pants and black motorcycle boots should have some high vis facing the cars behind me to get their eyes on me. Every little thing...

Whew...Feeling lucky...
That would have made a great youtube video. :)

As an old instructor of mine used to say, "Throttle chop bad". Been there, done that, flying leg, stomping foot, and always learning. That's the best part. I can always be a little smoother. I just have to ride more.

Did the same thing on some loose sand in the road on my SV650 way back in '04 just after I bought it. Had the wife on the back, going through the corner...rear tire sliding, left leg smacking down to the ground. I stayed up and my knee was a bit sore for a few days, but all was well.

Much happier now with the big FJR, but I do sort of miss the light & nimble SV. Too bad there wasn't room in the garage for both.

Glade to hear you are OK .

By the way stay in gear at lights and watch rear mirrors

1978 I was taking my new Yamaha XS1100 for a run of about 600miles each way to help break it in.

Sitting at a set of traffic lights at about 6 am with the sun just up . I was the only one at the lights when I cheched the rear mirror .Time for any thought was out the window just went as hard as a could including wheel in air , reason interstate truck was not stopping at the lights ,I managed to get away and out of his lane , he was obviously on drugs . My father had a truck driver deliver to his work a few weeks after that . The driver had driven 18 hours straight , then he loaded at up at another place and continued driving . He made the same set of traffic lights and did not stop at the red light ,he ran over a Volkswagon killing a women and her two children, the truck then fell over on it side crushing two other cars . Be very carefull out there .