Clunkity Clunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
Having a problem finding the sweet spots to shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third. Owner's manual says no speed shifts and to close the throttle when shifting. Shifting with the finger shift or the foot control, same thing. Clunk and throttle snatch. :dribble:

As the acceleration in 1st slows I ease off the throttle just a touch, click the finger or foot shifter and right back on the throttle. Mine shifts nice and smooth that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try shifting with just a very little backing off of the throttle. Ignore the manual's instruction to close the throttle completely. You should have very smooth shifts with practice.

There is some clunk in the AE. Don't worry it's normal.

You can reduce some of it with some timing I would best describe as a throttle "blip" at time of shift. This is no where near a throttle unload. Just a subtle twitch.

No clunks in mine. I just back off the throttle a bit (maybe 1/4) and siultaneously feather the clutch and stab the shifter with left toe.

Oh yeah... You need a clutch lever to do that. Newvermind.

No clunks in mine. I just back off the throttle a bit (maybe 1/4) and siultaneously feather the clutch and stab the shifter with left toe.

Oh yeah... You need a clutch lever to do that. Newvermind.

Are you from New England?

Oh it's in your profile "NH" Never mind, that explains it.
assassin.gif

You're just jealous of my clutch and my location. :lol:
Fred, at times.. both

Can't say I never miss having a clutch lever, and born in Tewksbury MA. We had a cottage up on Squam Lake.

Added: Then again there is the fact I've never gone more than 2 weeks without riding (even without a clutch) while you where blowing snow
wink.gif

How many miles on the bike now?

I assume that you know that your trannie will get smoother once it's broke in. I have an 05 and though it's not an AE, many of the basic shifting principles are similar. Mine was a little clunky when I first got it. I just needed some time to get acquainted with it and the FJR needed some time to get broke in. Not sure if this will answer your question, but there's some interesting reading here: clicky 1.

Needless to say, the tranny is a lot more accommodating if you shift at really low RPMs. However, at higher RPMs the smoothest shifts are achieved when you get off the throttle just enough to unload the tranny, but not so much that you are decelerating. There's a "sweet spot" between accelerating and decelerating where the engine is not pulling the bike forward nor slowing it down. Shifting at this exact throttle setting is REALLY smooth. This is why the guys say they blip the throttle. This takes practice, but it's worth it: it works well. Timing is everything, and when you do it right, the FJR rewards you with a smooth seamless shift. On my bike, if my "blip" it too short or quick, it won't shift at all. As long as the engine is still producing thrust, it will not shift (without the clutch). If I "blip" it too long or too deeply, it CLUNKS. Reason? Engine RPMs were decelerating past the point of no load. As soon as the shift is completed, for an instant, the engine is decelerating the bike. If ya get back on the throttle quickly, the forward thrust takes up the play in the driveline, resulting in the clunk. But getting that blip just right isn't easy. However you will find that if you practice it at lower RPM's it'll come to ya. This principle is the same on an AE or a regular FJR. A little practice turns a clumsy clunker into a master blipper. So, let us know how it works for ya.

Gary

darksider #44

You're just jealous of my clutch and my location. :lol:
Fred, at times.. both

Can't say I never miss having a clutch lever, and born in Tewksbury MA. We had a cottage up on Squam Lake.
Ah yes... on Golden Pond. Much nicer than the big lake, IMO.

Added: Then again there is the fact I've never gone more than 2 weeks without riding (even without a clutch) while you where blowing snow
wink.gif
Yeah, there is that. As time goes on I become increasingly less tolerant of the winter down time. Not just for lack of motorcycling, though I'm sure that is part if it. Just the lack of daylight hours messes with you emotionally. I just don't know how people even further to the north of here (Canadians and Alaskans) can do it.

But the other ~9 months of the year all is forgotten and it's a wonderful place to be.

How many miles on the bike now?

I assume that you know that your trannie will get smoother once it's broke in. I have an 05 and though it's not an AE, many of the basic shifting principles are similar. Mine was a little clunky when I first got it. I just needed some time to get acquainted with it and the FJR needed some time to get broke in. Not sure if this will answer your question, but there's some interesting reading here: clicky 1.

Needless to say, the tranny is a lot more accommodating if you shift at really low RPMs. However, at higher RPMs the smoothest shifts are achieved when you get off the throttle just enough to unload the tranny, but not so much that you are decelerating. There's a "sweet spot" between accelerating and decelerating where the engine is not pulling the bike forward nor slowing it down. Shifting at this exact throttle setting is REALLY smooth. This is why the guys say they blip the throttle. This takes practice, but it's worth it: it works well. Timing is everything, and when you do it right, the FJR rewards you with a smooth seamless shift. On my bike, if my "blip" it too short or quick, it won't shift at all. As long as the engine is still producing thrust, it will not shift (without the clutch). If I "blip" it too long or too deeply, it CLUNKS. Reason? Engine RPMs were decelerating past the point of no load. As soon as the shift is completed, for an instant, the engine is decelerating the bike. If ya get back on the throttle quickly, the forward thrust takes up the play in the driveline, resulting in the clunk. But getting that blip just right isn't easy. However you will find that if you practice it at lower RPM's it'll come to ya. This principle is the same on an AE or a regular FJR. A little practice turns a clumsy clunker into a master blipper. So, let us know how it works for ya.

Gary

darksider #44
I take exception with "the tranny is a lot more accommodating if you shift at really low RPMs"....my tranny is accomodating at any RPM :ph34r:

But, ahem, other than that, Gary has it right. Its not so much a roll off the throttle as it is a blip...like, a quick 1/4 or 1/2 inch turn off the throttle. Smooth as silk at any RPM or throttle.

Doesn't the computer cut the engine during a shift? Why would you let off the throttle at all? :yahoo:

Doesn't the computer cut the engine during a shift? Why would you let off the throttle at all? :yahoo:
<BR><BR>No, the computer only shifts. It does not interfere with motor (RPM) in any way. It only replaces manual clutch function.

I use the blip or the wrist twitch method as well and am able to pull of super smooth shifts. Works the absolute best I find if you roll on the throttle fairly aggressively before each blip. The downside to that method is you end up doing 100 mph before you are into 5th.

I use the blip or the wrist twitch method as well and am able to pull of super smooth shifts. Works the absolute best I find if you roll on the throttle fairly aggressively before each blip. The downside to that method is you end up doing 100 mph before you are into 5th.
And by 5th you mean 3rd right?

The throttle oepration for best shifting isn't much different than non-AE bikes, I'm thinking. Not closing the throttle, but breathing it during the shift.

If the shift took 2 or 3 seconds, like the school bus you rode in the '60s, then yes, close the throttle. But closing it on a motorcycle just upsets the bike, throws the weight forward, applies drag on the rear wheel, and forces you to find a point to release the clutch lever, which you can't do on an AE.

Just breathe the throttle a bit as you shift, and put it right back where it was. Shouldn't even need a half-second of reduced time.

I shift by the sound of the engine. I don't really blip or back off the throttle. Just a very slight pause. When I hit the sweet spot all I hear is a slight click and continue to accellerate. I don't accellerate as hard as some but try to be smooth.

Don

I used to bemoan the clunk-jerk commotion the first few forays early on with my AE. I wasn't sure what technique would work in situations where I was more familiar with a manual clutch I could feather. Even a throttle blip at moderate speeds would cause a very slight weight shift bobble. It wasn't until after some day trips that I came to realize that by not blipping the throttle and simply shift, things started to click in my head. Even under harder acceleration, same thing but I'm more careful on when to time my shift and that realization became more familiar with time on my bike. Any harder acceleration beyond that required a little blip of throttle, but I normally wouldn't need to do even that just to get on the freeway.

The low speed stuff in first gear basically required that I manage the throttle roll on at under a quarter twist (even less after roll on play is taken up), but a buttery smooth roll on. That took my wrist more education than what I left with from my BRC. With the right amount of nuance to the parking lot roll-on the clutch would feel as if it were feathering itself. Any more abrupt roll on than that which was required and the clutch gave me a mild "clunk-jerk" . My U-Turns needs some work. Anyway, I've only a couple thousand highway miles on this bike and none prior. It wasn't until I spent a couple of hours the first time I practiced my low speed U-Turns did I start to get a feel for that AE's clutch engagement characteristic at low speed.

Work in progress.....

So, Monte:

You started this thread but never responded to anything we said. We'd like to know if the feedback we provided was of some help: we'd like to hear from ya. You still out there?

Gary

darksider #44