Coast to coast in 48 1/2 hours

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic, fantastic report. Gripping. Inspiring. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations.

FYI, some additional statistics. For those of us whining about needing him to finish...he did sit down and write 18,806 words of actual report.
biggrin.png

Copied it to a word format with all the extra stuff filtered out so my teacher dad who has health issues can sit and read it as he enjoys these things.
biggrin.png

he did sit down and write 18,806 words of actual report.
biggrin.png

Copied it to a word format with all the extra stuff filtered out so my teacher dad who has health issues can sit and read it as he enjoys these things.
biggrin.png
That is awesome! Almost as much as the sunrise helmet picture.

That was, perhaps, the best ride report ever! I read it last night and was spent by the time I got through it. Man, what an adventure,,, Gary, with regard to health issues I wish you all the best and as a fellow "man of faith", I'll just reference Phil 4:13 and Jer 29:11 which clearly you know by heart. Brian the biknflyfisher
Bikenflyfisher:

Those words mean more than you know. But then again, maybe you do know. Through the years, I've found a great deal of comfort from that one in Philippians. When I think of all that I am NOT, and all that He has used me to accomplish, I'm reminded that He is my strength, and that His strength is made perfect in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9 "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." Now there's a mouthful. Paul says, "I will glory in my infirmities." That word refers to ALL the stuff that is wrong with this guy, not just the physical. Pretty cool, hugh?

Tomorrow I step back into my classroom for the first time since early June. In just over a week, my classroom will be filled with 50-70 kids most of whom I don't know. These 8th graders have been selected by the state of Florida to be sent to my class because they have failed the FCAT, which is Florida's standardized statewide reading test taken by every public school student in the state. This test has revealed that these kids were approximately 2 years behind in their ability to read, if not more. If my new kids are any thing like the ones I've enjoyed for the past 8 years, some of them will read at a 2nd grade level. Some will be extremely difficult to work with. Most will not want to be in my class and some will ask mommy to come to the school to get them transferred. I will have some kids who don't speak English very well, and many who come from broken homes. There will several who hate school, hate teachers, and hate just about everybody around them. From all over the school they will come, and in all too many cases, their teachers will enjoy the time off. But before one of them arrives, I will take a few minutes and sit in every seat in my classroom to ask God for the strength I need to reach the heart of each child. My goal is to inspire them to become better readers. This in turn will enable them to succeed in all their classes. And maybe, just maybe I can help to encourage some of them to be all they can be, and stop the cycle of failure that has become their comfort zone.

I've got 180 days to make that happen. It all begins in a week.

Thank you for the encouraging words.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
HRZ, Gary's job is to keep them from meeting you on your job.

More power to you Gary. As I said, both of my parents are teachers. I know for a fact I'm not cut out for that. For a while I managed movie theaters. In the end, me and my parents could relate on a lot of topics because we dealt with kids of the same age. I did point out though, that in the end, I always had the ability to fire mine if they didn't work out. Doesn't work that way in a school. Pretty sure I'm not made of the stuff that can handle that. I'm quite glad there are those of you that are though.

Good luck Gary!

Reading has got to be the most valuable skill. Everything else requires it.

Perhaps they need fun stuff to read. I thoroughly enjoyed the works of Edgar Rice Burrows in my younger days.

I think this ride report (with the pictures!) would make a good resource for helping your class in their reading skills....

Well done Gary!

What an amazing adventure you took us on! Thank you for sharing it with us and I hope you have a wonderful school year!

Ya know Gary....maybe you could use your ride reports as reading assignments for your class. Give them something cool to read.

It worked in the movies, but I can't see you using erotic books as reading material for the class like they did in that movie.
smile.png

I've always enjoyed reading so it was never an issue with me, but I had an English Teacher for my college comp 101 class who was one of the best teachers I've ever had. Watching him draw us out and get involved in what he was teaching was as much a lesson as the class itself.

I think this ride report (with the pictures!) would make a good resource for helping your class in their reading skills.... Well done Gary!
AVGeek,

I guess I could give it a try, but just reading is not what I'm supposed (or allowed) to do. My kids need to learn a certain amount of standards so that they can pass their Florida state FCAT next April. The stuff they read has to be tied directly to the standards that they must learn. That said, I can make it available, but I can't make it required. Appreciate the thought.

Ya know Gary....maybe you could use your ride reports as reading assignments for your class. Give them something cool to read.
It worked in the movies, but I can't see you using erotic books as reading material for the class like they did in that movie.
smile.png

I've always enjoyed reading so it was never an issue with me, but I had an English Teacher for my college comp 101 class who was one of the best teachers I've ever had. Watching him draw us out and get involved in what he was teaching was as much a lesson as the class itself.
Well what do you know, after all this time I finally stumbled upon just HOW to do these multi-quotes. Must be my lucky day.

Anyway, Ray, when others suggested this, I thought about it. I've even jokingly mentioned it to a couple guys. However, as I mentioned to AVGeek above, I can't assign something like this. It's too long and can't be tied directly to the standards I must teach. However, I see no reason why I can't make it available as something optional to read.

Thank you for the input.

As far as I know this will be the final installment on this thread. This writing project is complete.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
"It was about refusing to allow a dream to die. It was about timing, sacrifice, a little $$ and a lot of sweat, a touch of luck and a great deal of prayer and the help of many along the way. The doctor told me not to do it, my friends asked me why I'd want to do it, my family hoped I wouldn't do it, but my heart told me that I must do it. And against all the odds; including the record setting heat in the desert and the limited abilities of this body of mine, I pulled it off. "

Great closing remarks! I enjoyed reading about your trip. Thanks for sharing.

Just revisited this thread for fun. I'd forgotten a few of these things. Ha... now I'm wanting to take another journey. But that will have to wait a while: awful busy in the classroom these days.

However, I don't think I'll try another 50cc again.

Once is enough for this lifetime.

And what a journey it was.

Gary

darksider #44

I was browsing through the ride reports last night and came across this one. I couldn't stop reading it until I finished it about 12:40 a.m. Great story and very inspiring!

Deserves a bump.

Extra Credit Reading/Writing assignment:

Give the kids a copy of your report, and then have them plan their own trip or your next trip. Kids will have to do internet research, map work, math, some history, and geography. All the while learning without realizing it. For many of these kids, they will never travel outside of the 50 miles local to their area. You went across country on a motorcycle. You are the coolest teacher on the planet as far as they are concerned.

Just my 2 cents!

Just reread your thread, glad it got bumped up.
I have recently been diagnosed with a rare form of non Hodgkins lymphoma - Waldenstroms Macroglobulinemia. I'm a week into my first round of chemo. After 6 months of treatment I'm hoping for a remission. Your thread reminded me that I better start planning now to make hay while and when the sun shines.

So far I plan to retire in a few months, I'll be 62 on Friday. My FJR is farkled to the max and ready for anything with only 25k miles on her. I have friends in South Carolina and I hope to be able to ride out and visit them via the USA.

I also have a KTM 950 Adventure which has received the CBM farkle treatment. Hoping to be able to do the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route with my brother.

I've got plenty of time to dream now, but when the time comes I want to be ready to hit it.

Thanks for the inspiration!