Code 30!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Yep...I screwed up. First time I ever dropped a street bike and I got it on video. Embarrassing but here it is. Nobody hurt and fairly minor damage. Scuffed up the mirror and the fairing a little near the mirror. Scratched up the rear saddlebag pretty good. Surprisingly it's not bothering me that much. I almost feel like 'I got that over with'.

A bunch of little things led to it I guess. We were a bit lost on some backroads and I was "tired" from the night before. I pulled up to the stop sign too far to the edge of the road. I was a bit late shifting maybe, and when I put my right foot down it slipped for a split second, just enough to lose it. I love this bike but at slow speed two-up it's a top heavy pig. lol

Ah...well. https://youtu.be/K9_0Yw43MPU

Yep...I screwed up. First time I ever dropped a street bike and I got it on video. Embarrassing but here it is. Nobody hurt and fairly minor damage. Scuffed up the mirror and the fairing a little near the mirror. Scratched up the rear saddlebag pretty good. Surprisingly it's not bothering me that much. I almost feel like 'I got that over with'.

A bunch of little things led to it I guess. We were a bit lost on some backroads and I was "tired" from the night before. I pulled up to the stop sign too far to the edge of the road. I was a bit late shifting maybe, and when I put my right foot down it slipped for a split second, just enough to lose it. I love this bike but at slow speed two-up it's a top heavy pig. lol

Hey! Cool Chick! First words: you okay? Then, Woooo!. Good deal. You average everything out, you're doing fine. Just sayin. (Cool chicks are a lot harder to find than Feejers)

Remarkable restraint sir, a tip o the helmet to you.......some days stuff just happens...... :dribble:

Wow, my hat's off to you. Most people here would never admit to dropping their bike (myself included) let alone show it on video. What you show here is how in a split second shit can go really wrong! When this bike starts to go, there is no stopping her. I admire your lesson in humility and thanks for sharing.

I would check the frame under the front cockpit fairings as I bent mine when I lost it in the garage one night getting it up on the center stand. Good video and keep the chick.

When she goes past that point of no return is when you really feel what the MOMENTUM of a 600+ is like. A 600 lb bike tipped back up after a drop doesn't begin to give a sense of the forces at play. My case was the result of complacency due to having caught it on more than one occasion out on the road where I thoughtlessly had both hands off the hand grips digging through my tank bag....., but here I was in my garage where I was duly spanked while putzing around with a GPS mount sitting there with just my flip flops before donning my riding boots for the ride that morning. I had the bike off the kickstand and hands inside digging in my tankbag when she started to go over once again. Well there was no stopping her this time! Busted my right mirror as she leaned into my tool cart and nearly pinning me against the garage wall in the process!

Oh well. Live and learn.

:lol:

I tried and tried to find a pic or a clip...

That reminded me of the old Laugh-In skit, where Arte Johnson would ride a tricycle and fall over when he stopped...

Thanks fer postin... :)

The chick come across as a first class keeper. What I liked about the video it shows those that haven't dropped a bike how quickly it happens. Almost dropped one at a toll booth as my foot was on a patch of oil. Saved it but just barely. Dropped another bike in a parking lot thinking the side stand was down and locked...it wasn't..It's oh so obvious when you pass the point of no return. Thanks for the video.

Bill

You're not the first Nate ;) , and definitely not the last unfortunately :unsure:

My favorite (NOT !) are gravel parking lots and 2-up :rolleyes:

And your Lady has her priorities straight. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so short and my bikes are so high/top heavy, that I've perfected a back flip that enables me to get clear without anything falling on me.

PS: I will add that I'm currently recuperating from a torn abdominal muscle and tweaked disc due to yanking on the darn thing as I was asking a woman if she was OK (she drove right off the road into a ditch, right in front of me while texting)and my foot slipped-I should have let the darn thing go!

Buzz Lightyear said it best- 'Its falling- with style!' Good recovery for both of you but I know thats gotta smart a bit.

Wow, my hat's off to you. Most people here would never admit to dropping their bike (myself included) let alone show it on video.
seems any time i've ever dropped a bike, it's always been in front of an audience. :glare:

glad you're ok.

eventually you'll learn to tuck-and-roll; popping back up to your feet a little bit away from the bike. for style points, raise your hands over your head, arch your back, and smile for the judges. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You sure made picking it up look easier than it was for me!
You might not see it in the video but there was a young guy that pulled up behind us and helped out. With the 3 of us it went up quick but was still not easy.
I've posted something similar before but it's really important that you attempt to pick the bike up properly. You can do yourself serious harm trying to pick up a 600 lb bike incorrectly ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4MPyX0QCYw

You sure made picking it up look easier than it was for me!
You might not see it in the video but there was a young guy that pulled up behind us and helped out. With the 3 of us it went up quick but was still not easy.
When I dropped mine I picked it up myself but it was not easy, luckily I'm a big guy but compared to my previous bike (~400lb low to the ground cruiser) it was redonkulous.