Congratulations Joyfulgirl

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations, JFG. You have to walk before you can run. When I bought my first M.C. four years ago, a Harley Sportster, I had them deliver it to my door because I was too afraid to ride it home. Then I got on it and rode it around the block at about 3 MPH. Then I took it out in traffic, and so on. But it was a weekend fun bike.

Then I got a client at a location where I couldn't take public transportation, and traffic was a bitch. So I "had" to commute by M.C. I was pissed, because I felt I was taking my life in my hands every time I got on the bike. I remember the first time I went up between the cars: I thought the world would come apart and I would die. So I quickly got back in line. Then I ventured up between cars again, and over time you learn how to commute smartly (I'm now at a point where I have to remind myself to rein it in because I get over-confident). Anyway, like Penguini describes, I got hooked. Now, my commute is the best part of my day. When I hear that there's an accident screwing up the Bay Bridge, I get stoked because it's a challenge. And there aren't many opportunities to always feel like a VIP--someone who always gets to go to the front of the line. What makes most people frustrated, we get to sail through with a grin.

Somewhere on this here forum I posted the lessons I've learned about commuting after doing it full time for the last three years. But the best recent tip I got was from Pat Hahn's book, where he recommends you re-design your commute route to maximize fun and scenery and minimize meat grinder encounters. Now I take back roads and stuff.

Before long you'll have your black belt in commuting. It just takes practice and experience, and with that comes knowledge and confidence.

But you know all that.

Have fun!

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
Rawk!

adipic.jpg

Woo Hoo! Way to go Sherri! Congratulations on making that horse tame. It's just like riding a bike...oh, it is a bike. Have fun and just enjoy. Del. <>< ;)

Great job Sherri!

One of these days i will be back out there on the bike and we can go for a spin! :clapping:

YOU GO GIRL!!! :clapping:

Sorry this is a late response. Been laid up for a week so just saw this today.