Dealer Maintenance Plan - 6 visits or 3yrs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No doubt, a cap on the miles is simply ridiculous. The whole reason my dealer's plan works for me is that it's 3 yrs / unlimited miles. The "deal" you were offered Smooth would not work for me. If I were capped at 3yrs / 12000 miles I'd burn that off in less than a year. But with my annual mileage around 20K per year the deal was a simple no brainer to me. I rolled up 55K the first three years I had the bike and didn't pay an extra dime for regular service. However, the "extra" maint such as valve checks, brake fluid flush is not included. But oil change, spark plugs, rear dif, regular lube, checking for loose screws/bolts/fasteners etc, parts, labor etc.. ... that's all included. I throw my service writer the keys and he calls me the next day with a smile on his face saying hey Mr. B I've got your FJR ready to roll. IMHO I'm the one that should be smiling b/c I'm coming out like an FJR Bandit! :D :yahoo:

I've only had experience with one bike being maintained under a dealer maintenance plan - this link only speaks to one thing I found, there were certainly others.

Relay Arm Bushing

I suppose that dealer maintenance agreement is fine if you have the ability to check their work, and ensure that it's being done.

When I bought my FJR in Colorado, I called a dealer in Albuquerque that would do a maintenance plan. I didn't know anything about this bike, and hadn't found this forum yet.

I paid around $1000 for a three year unlimited miles plan. They did everything including servicing the bearings and the valve check. They did 10 services before my 3 years expired. Some of them were back to back as I would get a service, go on a 4000 mile trip and take it in the next week for another.

During those 3 years, they got to know me, I got to know them and they always did great work on my bike. Since they know me, warranty work and recall appointments are always fast, and they treat me very well.

I thought about re-upping my plan, but I have learned so much here, I now do my services myself. Things like fork seals and valves, I'm not comfortable with because I've never done them nor seen them done, so I will take it back to the dealer for that and just pay outta pocket.

So, if you're not comfortable doing your own service, for whatever reason, shop around at other dealers and see if someone will sell you a better maintenance plan. I really liked mine.

Things like fork seals and valves, I'm not comfortable with because I've never done them nor seen them done, so I will take it back to the dealer for that and just pay outta pocket.
I had no clue myself, I'm a dumbass yet also poor so I'm forced to figure out how to do these things myself - I printed out the how-to on valves that is easily found here and walked out to the garage and have done it a couple times now. If you can change spark plugs, you can at least check your valve clearance yourself. First time I did it with a buddy, last couple times solo. You can do it.

As I sat in the Yamaha dealers office doing the paper work on my FJR, they came around to the obligatory offering of the YES. I said no thanks but left with the knowledge that I had 30 days to change my mind. As I walked out I had doubts about my decision as they had various drive train components that had suffered catastrophic failure mounted on the wall with large dollar amounts for added effect. Then a few short days later I was charged $288.74 for the 600mi oil change (err, umm service) and I realized that I could buy alot of tools, service manuals, oil and filters for $1500.00 and the service would be done to MY standards. I've spent just under $300.00 and I have all the tools and manuals I need to perform all my own services. I spent $700.00 on a jacket and helmet and I still have $500.00 left for future accessories.

Oh crap. After reading through the posts on this topic I'm starting to feel a nasty gloomy blackness coming down on me courtesy of a $999 3 year, six main services plan.

Bike had 8600 miles when I bought it and the plan, and 2 yrs of YES and I believe the previous owner had done three oil/filter changes including diff, the last at 7500 mls, but not much else in five years.

Now I've only done c 1400 miles in 4 months and intend to return to the dealer for my first 6 monthly service in August by which time mileage will be up around 10800.

Looking at the owners manual servicing guide, aside from oil and filter change I'm having a problem deciding what else I should expect to be done, given that I'm never going to rack up loads of miles to warrant six 'main services'.

Should I only expect six monthly item checks? What about spark plug changing and swingarm lube?

Will appreciate opinions of forum members, apart from the deserved 'you should have thought about that before signing'. I know, I know, I'm a dummy.

SHIT!

As I sat in the Yamaha dealers office doing the paper work on my FJR, they came around to the obligatory offering of the YES. I said no thanks but left with the knowledge that I had 30 days to change my mind. As I walked out I had doubts about my decision as they had various drive train components that had suffered catastrophic failure mounted on the wall with large dollar amounts for added effect. Then a few short days later I was charged $288.74 for the 600mi oil change (err, umm service) and I realized that I could buy alot of tools, service manuals, oil and filters for $1500.00 and the service would be done to MY standards. I've spent just under $300.00 and I have all the tools and manuals I need to perform all my own services. I spent $700.00 on a jacket and helmet and I still have $500.00 left for future accessories.
Excellent point ;)

Oh crap. After reading through the posts on this topic I'm starting to feel a nasty gloomy blackness coming down on me courtesy of a $999 3 year, six main services plan.

Bike had 8600 miles when I bought it and the plan, and 2 yrs of YES and I believe the previous owner had done three oil/filter changes including diff, the last at 7500 mls, but not much else in five years.

Now I've only done c 1400 miles in 4 months and intend to return to the dealer for my first 6 monthly service in August by which time mileage will be up around 10800.

Looking at the owners manual servicing guide, aside from oil and filter change I'm having a problem deciding what else I should expect to be done, given that I'm never going to rack up loads of miles to warrant six 'main services'.

Should I only expect six monthly item checks? What about spark plug changing and swingarm lube?

Will appreciate opinions of forum members, apart from the deserved 'you should have thought about that before signing'. I know, I know, I'm a dummy.

SHIT!
I disagree - with the dummy part. Tis why I posted this. I was contemplating the service plan and now feel this woould not be for me. While customer service is good, what is the reliability of the shop crew? In this day n age, some will let your bike sit and claim the work was done while some will perform the work as they love their job/work. I want this "new" bike checked out and have already established some concerns via this forum. For now, they seem receptive and willing - we will see. Since the bike is "new", I think I want the 600 mile service on record and just see if they catch anything. I have learned much from the old heads here as well as the novice. Thanks all :)

It has been well documented on this forum that I have absolutely no business wrenching on a bike.

As an alternative, I organize Tech Days and watch as other folks who are competent mechanics work on my bike. CCT, valve check, rear shock replacement, plugs, fork service, new front tire...

Hell - you don't even have to host it! Just find someone relatively local who has the space and is willing to host. Plus ya get to meet new people around here, check out their bikes (and get farkle idears!), and drink the hosts beer! I call that a win for everyone.

All great points! Looks like the 'deal' is not that great. Now I look back to the day I traded in my Warrior, the Sales Manager and I were talking about working on the bike. Then I told him I changed out the fork seals, his response was "Wow, you're brave, I wouldn't tackle that job!" :huh: I guess if I can do that, I can do my own services on the FJR.

What do you all think of getting the 600 mile done at the dealer so it's on record?

Not to mention I'm keeping an '83 Jaguar with 250K running. :D

All great points! Looks like the 'deal' is not that great. Now I look back to the day I traded in my Warrior, the Sales Manager and I were talking about working on the bike. Then I told him I changed out the fork seals, his response was "Wow, you're brave, I wouldn't tackle that job!" :huh: I guess if I can do that, I can do my own services on the FJR.

What do you all think of getting the 600 mile done at the dealer so it's on record?

:yahoo: :yahoo:

:yahoo: :yahoo:

Don't think I would shell out for the 600 miler. My previous owner did it himself and filled in the owners manual with all the details and that was good enough for me. Trouble is, as a Brit I would say you have your hands full with the Jag.

You won't get to the expensive valve adjust service in the first 6 official service intervals and you can be certain that they won't be properly lubricating the swing arm bearings and such as part of the work they do. They are thinking a half dozen oil changes. You are thinking full by-the-book maintenance.

Save your money, I suggest you do your own oil changes and other minor work and invest some of the money you saved in the extended warranty - it paid off for me and for many others.
+1. Bram's got it right IMHO. Two reasons. The FJR is an extremely reliable bike: major maintenance is really rare, and the stealership knows this. Second, the "how to's" and pictorials explaining them are abundant and well done. The more you study this forum and it's links, the more you'll see (like I did) that most simple maintenance on an FJR is straight forward and uncomplicated. Not to mention that there are other FJR riders who can twist a wrench in your area. It's great to get together with a new bud to do a project or two. Most stuff can be completed in an afternoon.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator: