Dented rim

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renink

Reaction score
I caught a hole when riding through a puddle and it put a small dent in my rim. Not noticeable at speed but when riding slow like in a parking lot it can be felt.

Am I limited to only a stock 06-12 rim? Do Gen I rims fit? Are there any aftermarket rims or wheels from other makes that would work? Brand new wheel cost $709 + tax and labor and I was told they are on back order until June. I have seen some used wheels but do 't know about fitment.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be able to get the dent repaired if the metal has not cracked. Just google 'motorcycle wheel repair' to find a place near to you and read some reviews of their work.

Actually, I'm wondering if the model years are even more limited that that. One dealer told me he thinks only 06-07 but couldn't guarantee it

Hello Geezer, I called a few. 2 told me they don't do motorcycles anymore. I left a voicemail for 3 others. No cracks or stress that I can see but you can see the lip is a bit dented.

So far none of the shops anywhere close to me does MC rim repair. The only ones that I can find to do it are online and I have to ship it to them and wait for them to ship it back at my cost. for $275+ shipping both ways. I know our bikes aren't highly sought after models but I couldn't believe there are no aftermarket wheels when I saw the $700 price for the front rim. I see old 2005 and 2008+ rims on ebay and used forums but nothing for 06-07.

I don't know where your located but GP Frame in California has very reasonable rates, does good work and usually fast turn around time. Gerry, the owner is highly regarded.

https://www.gpframeandwheel.com/

I had a tire on rim repaired about 4 years ago and it was less then $150. I know it would have been less if it was a bare wheel.

Sorry, I didn't state it earlier but I'm in Long Island, NY.

There's an 06 Front wheel on ebay and an 07 rear wheel $249.99 for the front $349.99 for the rear! Hope this helps!

Yeah, I saw that front wheel before posting but according to the pictures and that description it says its bent.

It's possible but the obvious damage to the rim looks to be the first think I should focus on. I believe that tire wasn't that old and visually doesn't look damaged but I can't know for sure until i get it removed and looked at.

For what sounds like a small dent, definitely try and have the rim repaired. Panman has had a couple rims repaired / straightened locally with good success. One front had a pretty big "wow" in it and it turned out great.

For used replacement, you're good with '06 & '07. Comparing parts fiche(s) and numbers, '05 ABS fits too. If you source used, remember ABS was an option in '05 so ask questions. FWIW new rims are listed at ~$500 from various on-line parts houses.

Good luck!

--G

I caught a hole when riding through a puddle and it put a small dent in my rim. Not noticeable at speed but when riding slow like in a parking lot it can be felt.
Am I limited to only a stock 06-12 rim? Do Gen I rims fit? Are there any aftermarket rims or wheels from other makes that would work? Brand new wheel cost $709 + tax and labor and I was told they are on back order until June. I have seen some used wheels but do 't know about fitment.

Any help is appreciated.
I think that a 04-05-06-07 with ABS would fit.

Covered in the Comparison Matrix you were strongly encouraged to read when you signed up.
I searched the forums and went through the '06 - '12 Bin O Facts (Generation II) and couldn't find or understand the right answer. I didn't notice the comparison page. This isn't a question of tire size that is easier to find. I didn't see a problem with looking for clarification when even local dealers couldn't get me a straight answer.

Covered in the Comparison Matrix you were strongly encouraged to read when you signed up.
I searched the forums and went through the '06 - '12 Bin O Facts (Generation II) and couldn't find or understand the right answer. I didn't notice the comparison page. This isn't a question of tire size that is easier to find. I didn't see a problem with looking for clarification when even local dealers couldn't get me a straight answer.
You're alright. Lots of people don't know, and those things are hard to read when you're not exactly sure what you're looking for.

Basically, the '05ABS-'07 Wheels work for sure. I'm not 100% sure about the '04ABS, but I wouldn't see why not. Everything about the '08 wheels are the same, except Yamaha changed the ABS sensors. So, while it would fit, your ABS wouldn't work. That first round of Gen2 bikes is pretty narrow, when it comes to wheels.

Good luck.