Developed a skilz drill for freeway practice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uhhh? :unsure:
I think Toe is onto a good thing, don't get me wrong. Those who have chimed in are to be respected for their opinions = all of them.

My target fixation "thing" is different (maybe?). Let me describe.

When I ride to work, I head into the sun = heading east. Out of my driveway, the route is a relatively straight shot for approximately 6 miles on a 2 lane road (traffic both directions), before I make a single left turn (north) and run into town.

My pavement distraction is caused by the morning sunlight. No, I don't look right at the sun (when it is out). I do however, enjoy(?) the sparkles on the pavement. I can't really say that I target fixate on them, as they are going by too fast and there are way too many of them, but they are distracting enough to give me a pause of concentration and that's not so good. I have trained myself to scan to the horizon, below the sun's direct light in order to stay on a easterly heading in the early AM. It works well, as in the past I have found myself in a drift toward the center line or the shoulder on occasion. I "think" I have some form of Astigmatism when it comes to heading into billions of sparkling lights?
Sounds like an acid flashback to me, George. ;)

Wasn't it Ken Kesey (author of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and one of the Merry Pranksters) who was the collegiate All American wrestler who described being in a match where that sort of cosmic distraction suddenly caught his attention and he got pinned while he contemplated it? :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I just thought it was my obsessive compulsive nature that had me always seeking to avoid those dashes and raised markers. :huh:
Sounds kinda like a zen exercise you're describing, Toe, and a good one -- if I understand correctly.

Been doing this for decades, before I was riding, even.
but otherwise buck naked. Rusty asked him WTF was up with that, and Jack just said "this way, I can't fall." I don't know
Is this why Barb always rides naked? Or is just for the attention?

You will quickly discover that once you have identified the line that you intend to take, that you will not need to look down. Keep your head up and concentrate on where you want to go. It is amazing how you will be able to put the bike on its intended line. It is automatic for me after 40 years of offroad riding.
Cigar Mike
But Mike, how will you know which cigar to enjoy? It is not nearly as intuitive as the proper line. And, for some damn reason, whether I look at my cigar or not doesn't have any bearing on how well I enjoy the cheroot.

C'mon, share. We all need to know...

;)
As you are quite aware. Like picking your line, that decision is made long before you reach that point. For the cigar it is made before I put it in the humidor.

As far as the line you pick while riding it is like any other skill that is learned. The feed back from when you miss teaches you to hit the mark. When in the dirt the feed back is more dramatic. When you pick a line to miss the boulder and don't, the feed back is immediate and intense. On the FJR the ground is passing under the wheels at a much greater rate and it is even more important to being riding out ahead of where you are. How many times are riders caught on decreasing arc turns because their heads are not up looking through the turn.

I think it is time to burn one. B)

Cigar Mike