Devils Highway

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devanator

Reaction score
Might be coming down there to visit a couple of my wifes brothers Feb or March. They have Hardley Davidsons.

Have been thinking of trailering my FJR down there (no laugh's please) to ride some of the roads.

2 questions I have are...

A. Other than what is on the motorcycle web sites i have visited, are there any hidden gems that I can get from any of you regarding roads?

B. I also was thinking of the Devils Highway, but can a person ride that during that time of year regarding elevation and such? Not quite familiar with riding that far south with the elevations and snow.

I road one of his Harley's a few years ago to Black Canyon City to eat at the Four B's for breakfast. That was in January. When we were leaving a week later it was snowing on the way up to Flag Staff. So I do know it can change the higher you get. Black Canyon isn't to high though.

Any advice would be nice.

devanator

Might be coming down there to visit a couple of my wifes brothers Feb or March. They have Hardley Davidsons. Have been thinking of trailering my FJR down there (no laugh's please) to ride some of the roads.

2 questions I have are...

A. Other than what is on the motorcycle web sites i have visited, are there any hidden gems that I can get from any of you regarding roads?

B. I also was thinking of the Devils Highway, but can a person ride that during that time of year regarding elevation and such? Not quite familiar with riding that far south with the elevations and snow.

I road one of his Harley's a few years ago to Black Canyon City to eat at the Four B's for breakfast. That was in January. When we were leaving a week later it was snowing on the way up to Flag Staff. So I do know it can change the higher you get. Black Canyon isn't to high though.

devanator
Most of the best roads we have are in the northern part of the state. If you can stand some cold weather they can still be ridden. Yarnell hill from Wickenburg to Prescott is usually ok. Some of the roads around Payson are good. Checking the weather is always a good idea. The higher elevations in the eastern part of the state where 191 is located are not always so good.

In Feb or March you have a good chance of snow as the elevation on some parts of 191 reaches above 8000 feet. You will want to check the forecast very carefully before you set out on the Devil's highway that time of year.

Drop me a note when you get here and I would be glad to ride with you.

I'm sure the other desert rats will have some pointers so I yield to them.

Burk

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the best roads we have are in the northern part of the state. If you can stand some cold weather they can still be ridden. Drop me a note when you get here and I would be glad to ride with you.

I'm sure the other desert rats will have some pointers so I yield to them.

Burk

I am from MN, and have ridden snowmobile in below 0 weather. I can handle cold.

Seriously though, thanks for the advice about the 191. I really would like to ride that, but getting caught in bad wheather isn't my idea of fun.

I will send a PM when it gets a little closer and we get some actual dates and plans set. Any more advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

devanator

<snip>Might be coming down there to visit a couple of my wifes brothers Feb or March. Have been thinking of trailering my FJR down there 2 questions I have are...A. ...are there any hidden gems that I can get from any of you regarding roads?

B. I also was thinking of the Devils Highway,

Seriously though, thanks for the advice about the 191. I really would like to ride that, but getting caught in bad wheather isn't my idea of fun. I will send a PM when it gets a little closer and we get some actual dates and plans set.

Any more advice would be appreciated.
Regarding The Devils Highway (AKA: The Coronado Trail; The Clifton - Alpine Hwy): once you're a handful of miles north of Clifton/Morenci the altitude increases rapidly to about the 7000' level and increases to about 9000' at Hannigan Meadows. The town of Alpine AZ sits at about 8000' with the pass to Nutrioso & Springerville, 8500'. Needless to say, winter months are not, normally/always, conducive to motorcycling in the, appropriately named, White Mountains.

Although the highway itself isn't, normally, closed -- there are signs warning that it will not be snow-plowed on nights and weekends. Barring anomalies (many un-seasonably warm days in a row) there is a high likelyhood of snow being present -- especially on the shaded north sides. Still..., it's not impossible to ride 191 in winter months -- just hit-and-miss. Especially, if you're trailering to AZ for that.

If you really want to ride 191? -- you'll want to heed 'Badcat's advice "to check the forecast very carefully before you set out." And..., the longer you can postpone your trip towards Spring -- the better (probably?).

OTOH, there's still much fine winter riding -- almost anywhere that can be easily accessed from I-10. Rides to places like: Arivaca, Patagonia, Bisbee, and the Chiricahua Natl. Mnmt. can all be warm and pleasant in winter months.

As you can probably tell?, altitude makes all the difference. But, anywhere there are cacti growing is a good bet (for anytime motorcycling).... :)

devanator: Keep my info handy [email protected] H: 480-917-3863 C: 480-440-4666 I'm fully retired now, when you get to Arizona give me a post and I'll come up with a ride for you. Badcat Burk, SkooterG, Test Rider, vectervp1 and I have the Devil's Highway memorized by now; we run it at least 3 times a year. We usually avoid riding it during February and March because it's freezing ass cold to we Zonies, we don't have the thick blood you Minnesotans have got! Cold sucks!

Thanks for all the advice. When I get arrangements made I will let you guys know.

My time on the bike even if I do bring it down will be a little limited as I am coming down to visit the relaticks. But will be able to take a couple days out. Really would be fun to ride with a few other FJR brothers. We will see how things play out.

Thanks Again.

devanator

Yea, don't pm him, post it here. I am only and hour and a half on the east side of 191. So if you do plan that post it up so more of us can join in. Tombstone/Bisbee would be good for that time of year though not as twisty and not as scenic.

DK

Yea, don't pm him, post it here. I am only and hour and a half on the east side of 191. So if you do plan that post it up so more of us can join in. Tombstone/Bisbee would be good for that time of year though not as twisty and not as scenic.
DK
Deming Dirk, Your post got me thinking about a Southwest FJR Forum Overnighter. devanator, any chance you could convince the wife and the in-laws that coming to Arizona over either the last two weekends in March might be a good idea?

Here is what my pea brain is scheming: Meet either Saturday March 20 or Saturday March 27 at either Tombstone or Bisbee.

I'd think, based on living here over two decades, we can count on the third or fourth Saturday of March with no '666' snow!

Plan to meet up at 3pm at the designated hotel in either of the famous historic Arizona mining boomtowns we decide upon.

After a Saturday evening of fun FJR Forum partying and drinking, and nobody does that better than our FJR Forum, do a clutches out at 8am Sunday morning and ride North up The Devil's Highway. We could stop for breakfast in Willcox, Arizona.

Run up Hwy '666' with many photo stops at curves where we can do action shots of our FJR group going through the twisties.

Final stop and lunch in Alpine. From there Los Nuevos Mexicanos head east, while Phoenicians head west. Arriba, Ai, Fiesta!!!

DK
Deming Dirk, Your post got me thinking about a Southwest FJR Forum Overnighter. devanator, any chance you could convince the wife and the in-laws that coming to Arizona over either the last two weekends in March might be a good idea?

Here is what my pea brain is scheming: Meet either Saturday March 20 or Saturday March 27 at either Tombstone or Bisbee.

I'd think, based on living here over two decades, we can count on the third or fourth Saturday of March with no '666' snow!

Plan to meet up at 3pm at the designated hotel in either of the famous historic Arizona mining boomtowns we decide upon.

After a Saturday evening of fun FJR Forum partying and drinking, and nobody does that better than our FJR Forum, do a clutches out at 8am Sunday morning and ride North up The Devil's Highway. We could stop for breakfast in Willcox, Arizona.

Run up Hwy '666' with many photo stops at curves where we can do action shots of our FJR group going through the twisties.

Final stop and lunch in Alpine. From there Los Nuevos Mexicanos head east, while Phoenicians head west. Arriba, Ai, Fiesta!!!
yea man. That sounds good. What route would you take down from Phoenix area? lets meet at say Sonoita around 10am and ride SE Arizona to a destination hotel via Tombstone/Bisbee etc, maybe end up in Wilcox. Then have breakfast in Safford. I don't know how long it takes to run up to Alpine from there, but that gets us home earlier on Sunday.

devanator, any chance you could convince the wife and the in-laws that coming to Arizona over either the last two weekends in March might be a good idea?

This all sounds great by me. But I will not be able to make any decisions for at least a month. I had to cancel CFO because of finances this year and we might have to go at a drop of a hat as is were depending upon how my work comes in. I'm self employed and work a couple different part time jobs.

You guys have got me excited about some of the riding already and I will frequent this post and keep you updated as to how things are looking. My brother-in-law was happy about me bringing the bike so maybe he would even be able to take part.

I have a couple of contracts for Feb so maybe March would work better, but we will see how the next month plays out with work. Sound fun though.

devanator

I think at this point the ride is on even if you don't make it. We will try to work around your schedule, speaking for myself anyway. It is a ways off. We'll see.

I think at this point the ride is on even if you don't make it. We will try to work around your schedule, speaking for myself anyway. It is a ways off. We'll see.
devanator, if you let us know by January 1st what weekend in March you could do this, we here in the Southwest are good to go with that. Naturally, your brother-in-law and his Harley-Davidson riding friends are warmly welcomed along, I have owned H-D's for 39 years ago and I still have a Big Twin FXD in my garage.

DingusKahn, if we Phoenicians were to meet you in Sonoita at 10am we would just beat it down Interstate 10 and then South on AZ 83. Your route and day stops in Tomstone and Bisbee sound great. Do you know of a decent hotel in Willcox with a good restaraunt and a great tavern nearby? Willcox sounds doable!

DingusKahn, if we Phoenicians were to meet you in Sonoita at 10am we would just beat it down Interstate 10 and then South on AZ 83. Your route and day stops in Tomstone and Bisbee sound great. Do you know of a decent hotel in Willcox with a good restaraunt and a great tavern nearby? Willcox sounds doable!
I can't think of the name of it right now, but there is a hotel, I think Best Western, that has a restarant and bar next to the old truck stop on the south side of the freeway. I'm sure I will be through there before this ride, so I'll stop and look.

do you know if AZ83 south of Sonoita is open through the base? I have never been on that part of the road.

DK

Just had friends try to go through the base and they

had problems. They had to have their MSC card with them or no go.

They had to go around.

Joe

Just had friends try to go through the base and they had problems. They had to have their MSC card with them or no go.

They had to go around.

Joe
Thanks for the on the scene information, Joe! Dinguskahn, we'll have to scratch out 83, take Route 95 to Bisbee first then!!!

Just had friends try to go through the base and they had problems. They had to have their MSC card with them or no go.

They had to go around.

Joe
Thanks for the on the scene information, Joe! Dinguskahn, we'll have to scratch out 83, take Route 95 to Bisbee first then!!!
We can take 82 over to 90. South through Sierra Vista for lunch (or defer to Bisbee) to 92 (I can't find 95) and on to Bisbee. Then 80 up to Tombstone. If we don't didle too much we can make Wilcox well before dark. Checked out your link. That is the Best Western I was thinking of.

Joe, hope you can join us. Maybe Gregory can make it too.

Too bad we can't get through on 83. Oh well.