Do I upgrade or do I farkle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeld

Reaction score
OK, I've got this big birthday this year and thought I'd get myself a new bike but I can't decide what. My present 2003 FJR needs a new rear shock soon so I thought I might trade it in before I replace it but...

I can't decide what bike I want. I've often toyed with the idea of a BMW but the FJR does so many things so well that I'd be loathe to change it. OK, a new FJR then but what does that give me - new clocks, slightly longer wheelbase and slightly taller gearing. I don't have a heat issue with mine and I am quite happy with the airflow that my current screen gives me. I also prefer the big indicator lights on the dash of my current bike. So then I ask myself "why do I need to buy another bike when it's difficult to better what I have now?". My bike has done less the 15k miles and is going very well. I've had it over three years and I still love riding it.

Maybe I should add a few toys to the old girl to give her a new lease of life. A new seat, a new shock, perhaps some wider FZ1 mirrors to see behind me. I'll probably get a GPS too but there isn't a great lot I can do to improve a pretty good bike already. Maybe the 2008 FJR might have something to tempt me and not just a new paint scheme. :rolleyes:

IF you replaced the rear shock and fork springs, it would seem like you had a new bike. Really! Don't discount what these changes would mean (and do) to the handling and responsiveness of your FJR. By all means, spend the $$ for the remote pre-load on the rear shock.)

The Euro '03 is the same as our North American '04, so you have the larger rotors, so you might also consider replacing the brake lines with the braided Stainless Steel lines. And a new seat? Your FJR isn't going to feel like the same bike.

If you love the platform, why not just improve what you have. You'd still be buying yourself a great birthday present. Like remodeling the house, money well spent and it "feels" like a new home but retains the comfort of the old.

The upside of this is there will be NO monthly payments, and NO increase in insurance or registration costs.

OTH, if you have your heart set on a new bike......... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for the shock and fork springs upgrade, perhaps talk to Dave at GP Suspension on Penske and Ohlins items.

Lots of good choices on a seat if you want something different. Go Custom, it's worth it. And not necessarily more expensive than some of the off the shelf options either.

Want a new bike? PAINT IT! It might still be the same bike, but all your friends will think it's a new one. :D Besides, having a uniqe color always adds to the joy of ownership.

Lookee there, 2 great minds posting at the same time! :lol:
2,5 actually... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

you might also consider replacing the brake lines with the braided Stainless Steel lines
While I agree wholeheartedly with all that's been said above, you might want to check the junction of the hard brake lines with the rubber ones for the front wheel brakes. This before you cough up the money for braided lines.

A number of 2003's feature a nice surprise from Mama Yama. The connection between hard lines and rubber is crimped and you must cut them :dribble: That's guaranteed to put you in a foul mood for the rest of the day when you find out.

Don't ask me how I know... ;)

Stef

OK, I've got this big birthday this year and thought I'd get myself a new bike but I can't decide what. My present 2003 FJR needs a new rear shock soon so I thought I might trade it in before I replace it but...
I can't decide what bike I want. I've often toyed with the idea of a BMW but the FJR does so many things so well that I'd be loathe to change it. OK, a new FJR then but what does that give me - new clocks, slightly longer wheelbase and slightly taller gearing. I don't have a heat issue with mine and I am quite happy with the airflow that my current screen gives me. I also prefer the big indicator lights on the dash of my current bike. So then I ask myself "why do I need to buy another bike when it's difficult to better what I have now?". My bike has done less the 15k miles and is going very well. I've had it over three years and I still love riding it.

Maybe I should add a few toys to the old girl to give her a new lease of life. A new seat, a new shock, perhaps some wider FZ1 mirrors to see behind me. I'll probably get a GPS too but there isn't a great lot I can do to improve a pretty good bike already. Maybe the 2008 FJR might have something to tempt me and not just a new paint scheme. :rolleyes:
assuming you didn't get the bike too late in the year - you're almost done with 4 years and only 15,000 miles??? you don't need a new bike - sounds like you either need more time or you need a new car.

If you are perfectly happy with the bike either add something to it - or ....

take it to a GOOD paint shop and have the whole thing custom painted. You'll have a very special fjr that way and it will be like falling in love all over again. get excited about designing the paint scheme and it will save you a bundle over a new bike.

Unless of course - you just want one of the faster blue '06 models.

But it sure is fun to...................................GET A NEW BIKE!!! Sort of like n.p., but because it is a motorcycle and not n.p., it will actually listen to what you have to say and the joy lasts much, much longer, and whatever isn't right can be fixed mechanically and with logic. With n.p., logic and reason are for the most part ineffective and there is no mechanical option.

I had the same bike as you and love the new 06-07 format. We had to at least have one person to encourage you to get a new bike.

A new bike!!! Oh boy!!

Sort of like n.p., but because it is a motorcycle and not n.p., ....
N.p.? Er....what is n.p.? Oh...wait a minute.. :spruce_up: ...he can't mean that... :rolleyes:

and the joy lasts much, much longer
by golly......he does!
Now I wish I remembered what that feels like... :tease:

Stef

Figuring out "n.p." just now was more fun than figuring out the true blue meaning of a vanity license plate. (Best laugh ever was years ago when I puzzled for a few moments over a California plate "ESADIE" that somehow made it past the censor in Sacramento.) :eek:

New bike or farkle? I cast my vote in favor of new bike. Y.O.L.O. (Tantamount to Carpe Diem.)

Figuring out "n.p." just now was more fun than figuring out the true blue meaning of a vanity license plate. (Best laugh ever was years ago when I puzzled for a few moments over a California plate "ESADIE" that somehow made it past the censor in Sacramento.) :eek:
New bike or farkle? I cast my vote in favor of new bike. Y.O.L.O. (Tantamount to Carpe Diem.)
I own an 82 Harley FXR, since new. True, it doesn't look or run like a stock 82, but I still have it. I'll probably never sell it. I ride my 06 Yamaha most of the time, but I still manage to put a couple thousand miles a year on the old bike. If you are happy with your 03, I agree with the others. Do the update.

:eek:fftopic:

Doggone, Lee

ESADIE was a cinch to figure out.... but YOLO... WTF? Your Latin translation didn't help, either, although

we converse in Latin here at the Vatican...

Stef

Doggone, Lee

ESADIE was a cinch to figure out.... but YOLO... WTF? Your Latin translation didn't help, either, although

Stef
You Only Live Once.

Doggone, Lee

Stef
You Only Live Once.
Speak for yourself, pal... B) dintcha read my comment?

Stef

PS: J/K, thanks bro :p

A new bike doesn't necessarily mean replacing the one you have. Two bikes are better than one.

Very happy '05 owner with Wilbers shock & fork springs. My rear shock wasn't worn out yet, but there was still a world of handling difference.

Good luck whichever way you go...

Thanks for all the help. It looks like I can give my bike a new lease of life by a few farkles and see what Yamaha do in 2008 to stay ahead of the Kwacker Concours.

So this is on my list:

Possible new seat

Possible new screen

Stainless steel rad shield (probably Beowulf)

Better mirrors (FZ1 carbon effect mirrors already ordered)

GPS (TomTom Rider or Garmin Zumo)

New rear shock

Inner bags for the cases (used but clean pair bought off of eBay)

Anything else recommended?

My only problem is that I don't know what a good rear shock should feel like 'cos I don't know th difference. My bike feels plenty stable when cornering and quite comfy but if I don't know what I decetn shock feels like, have I got spend a lot of money to find out? I need a new shock soon anyway but will I notice the difference?