Does anyone ride between 6-7k rpm's?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicrocker

Reaction score
Does anyone ride between 6-7k rpm's?. I have been experimenting on some rides. Hitting the twistys and riding 70-80MPH in 3rd gear. This puts me about 5500-6500 rpms.
Do you ride (for any real time, or distance), at higher rpms?
I am sure the bike can take it, and I like riding at higher rpms. But where is the sweet spot?

and discuss.................

Not 6-7, but 7-8, yes. Many, many hours of it. It runs well in that range.

I accidentally left it in 4th one at 9000-9100 for 15-20 minutes in Nevada and eventually a yellow light comes on....which is outside the sweet spot. After you shift back to 5th gear the light goes off and it's back to the sweet spot.

The sweet spot is anything between it lugging the engine at sub 1000 and up to 9000.

I accidentally left it in 4th one at 9000-9100 for 15-20 minutes in Nevada and eventually a yellow light comes on....which is outside the sweet spot. After you shift back to 5th gear the light goes off and it's back to the sweet spot.

What yellow light came on? There is no shift light that I know of and what indicator light is related to "the sweet spot"?

As for riding between 6-7K RPM it' depends on the situation. If I'm just commuting or out for a leisurely ride I'll spend most of my time between 3-4K. Riding hard in the twisties it's between 4-7. The bike makes so much torque I don't see the need to rev the snot out of it.

Does anyone ride between 6-7k rpm's?. I have been experimenting on some rides. Hitting the twistys and riding 70-80MPH in 3rd gear. This puts me about 5500-6500 rpms.
Do you ride (for any real time, or distance), at higher rpms?
I am sure the bike can take it, and I like riding at higher rpms. But where is the sweet spot?

and discuss.................
Sure, in the twisties. Lower gear, higher rpm of course. Minimizes shifting and braking. Sweet spot? Kinda like seats- everyone likes something a little different. YOUR sweet spot is what works for YOU.

What yellow light came on? There is no shift light that I know of and what indicator light is related to "the sweet spot"?
And as I noted, it was outside the sweet spot. It's a tongue-in-cheek way of still affirming the FJR has a very wide sweet spot and you have run above red line for 15-20 minutes before the yellow "check engine" light turns on and you're not in it.

Personally, I always ride in the highest gear that is practical for the situation. I’m probably part of a small minority but rarely shift over 4,000 rpm and don’t linger in lower gears in the twisties.
This is an intriguing conversation and I will be paying attention to other opinions. There’s always something new to learn…

How is mileage affected at those revs?
I wasn't able to contrast mpg in 4th at 9100 versus 5th at 7500, but imagine mpg for that bit was pretty crappy. I just know FJR nominal speeds in the late afternoon when there's a lot of convective turbulence and buffeting, you get only 23.5 mpg. I burned up the full stock tank plus and additional 9.2 gallons in the special aux tank I was running.

P.S. I'm over that behavior now. :)

I'm surprised the rev limiter didn't kick in at redline.
Me too!

And I wasn't joking on that particular run...I just obliquely refer to it to remain plausible deniability of having done something seriously insane on the FJR that one 23 hours and 57 minute day in 2015. In the LD world the FJR has an RPM range than can easily produce a "Higdon triple-veiner".

Personally, I always ride in the highest gear that is practical for the situation. I’m probably part of a small minority but rarely shift over 4,000 rpm and don’t linger in lower gears in the twisties.
This is an intriguing conversation and I will be paying attention to other opinions. There’s always something new to learn…
count me in the minority too :)

all i know is that if i try stay under the 4.000 rpm, (cruising) i can do 360 km with 20 litres
that means filling up every 2 days , 40 euro gone. if i have to much fun, i need to fill up after 270 km.....
+ speedlimit 120 km/hr and speedtickets aren't cheap here
so , or i must win the lottery, or i let Celin Dion sing in my helmet

Genuinely curious what the purpose or desire is to ride in the higher revs? Unlike the smaller CC bikes that you have to wind up, I feel that anything above 2k is extremely responsive even in T mode, at the 'lower' speeds in the twistees. If you just like the scream of the engine/exhaust, that's a fair answer. lol.

Not sure I would agree 100% with that Rocket.
There is definitely a difference between PROPER engine braking, vs down shifting way too aggressively, popping the clutch and watching it bounce off red line. lol. No different than thinking 1500 rpm is going to gain you anything.

But this can still be achieved lower in the rpm range. Not 100% sure on this one, but I BELIEVE once you have load on the engine, max engine braking is achieved. I don't believe it "grows" with rpm. Again, not 100% sure on that one.
Just a thought, not an argument.

I do agree with the rebuild / replace comment though for sure.

Thanks for answering the question.