Dropped _(*^@_(&_((^^$#%@$

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumotony

Reaction score
Saturday, 02/24, with 9 major events taking place in Atlanta, I decided I would get out of town and perhaps avoid some of the traffic and possible gridlock that was projected to impede travel in the metro area.

I have a place in North Georgia and decided it would be a great day to check it out and get some miles on the new '07. Traveling up I85 and I985 toward Cornelia and Demorest was uneventful. I then took the back roads to the area in Demorest on the Chatahoochie where I have a get away retreat. The last couple of miles is on an unpaved, rutted gravel road. I dreaded this section and was going so slow and picking what I thought to be a good path, when at a speed of approximately

.5 mph, the front wheel got into some heavy gravel that had pushed up out of ruts in the road, and the wheel started sliding and nothing I could do to keep her from going over at this point. The road bed under the gravel was soft and the Skyway slider on the ride hand side of the bike sank all the way into the road with the fairing laying on the gravel portion of the road way.

Damage - Right hand can has a fair size dent in it and is scratched. The right hand side bag has some major scratches on it. Right hand fairing and Rh mirror have minor scratches. The one thing that I have not figured out is a dent on the right hand side of the gas tank, approximately 6 inches to the left of the Yammi logo and toward the top.

The dented and scratched can will just have to be character additions, but I would like to get the side bag repaired and see if the scratches on the fairing and mirror can be repaired with out too much expense.

Does anyone in the Atlanta area have anyone they would recommend for the cosmetic repair? My wounded pride will take some time to heal, but I will get over it.

sumotony,

I feel your pain and glad you didn't get hurt physically. Don't know of anyone who can help you with the repairs...do you have collision insurance? If not, perhaps your insurance agent can point you to a good shop referral. Hope it all works out for you soon.

That was a cool video. Was it yours and did you go to all those places?

IF so, that is impressive.

A few months ago, one of the Techs at H-D of Atlanta told me he did some repairs on an 04 FJR and found the correct paint to match exactly. If U have time U may want to stop by there and ask around for this guy. Seemed to know what he was talking about.

There are plenty of pros in our Hotlanta area, ask at all the shops.

Later, De :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
sumotony,I feel your pain and glad you didn't get hurt physically. Don't know of anyone who can help you with the repairs...do you have collision insurance? If not, perhaps your insurance agent can point you to a good shop referral. Hope it all works out for you soon.

$500.00 deductible on the collision, just was not sure that I wanted to make a claim and suffer the rates possibly escalating.

That is a great video! Wish I could take credit and had been to half of those places.

Unfortunately, Not mine - but wishful thinking.

A few months ago, one of the Techs at H-D of Atlanta told me he did some repairs on an 04 FJR and found the correct paint to match exactly. If U have time U may want to stop by there and ask around for this guy. Seemed to know what he was talking about.
There are plenty of pros in our Hotlanta area, ask at all the shops.

Later, De :rolleyes:
Thanks. I found the paint here https://www.colorrite.com/CRPLmanYear.php?typeID=2. I am sure that a good body shop could match it as well.

We have a place in Tucker that I may check out, called Ted's Auto Body Shop. He does quality work on autos, including restoration to Corvairs.

Not sure if he has ever worked on a bike before, but may put that on list along with the motorcycle shops.

If the guy that does restoration is known for quality, take it to him. Won't make any difference that it is a bike or car for paint work. Let him check about the paint too. I talked with my PPG rep the other day and he actually has some of the motorcycle codes, including 2007 Yamaha's. Should not be a big deal at all.

You are talking about painting plastic so make sure that the guy doing the work understands how to do that.

Sumotony,

Sorry about your drop, glad your ok though. Actually traffic wasn't too bad on Saturday. I think they hyped it enough on the news that it scared everyone off.

Good luck with the repairs.

-jwilly

Sorry to hear about your bike. Did that last year - also slow - not damage to me - but killed the bike. The bike was a R1200CLC - almost $4k in damages. Ouch - sold the bike.

Anyways - glad you are ok.

The video is GREAT !!!!

Diane

2006 1300A

Another candidate for the 0-5 mph automatic depolying training wheels!!!!

Seriously, this would have saved many members from the dreaded 0-5 mph drop. Including myself.

Sorry to hear that happened, gravel can be a bitch! Get a quote from the body shop. Compare it to buying the parts new from University motor sports. I know a half a pint of colorite is like $80, and $14 for half pint clear coat. Add in the labor for painting and it could add up pretty quickly.

You should be able to get the whoe fairing new with factory paint for like 280ish, and the bag cover is like 300 I think. The miror and lower right fender are easy to replace, you should do it yourself to save on labor. You can do the bag too if youk have a rivet gun, but you also have to change out the locks. Slightly more difficult, still do-able. Subtract the money you can get if you sell the parts on ebay for like 50-100 bucks.

Most likely the cost will be close, but cheaper to have it painted. Just make sure you get a good body shop. I had repaint work done, and it came out piss poor. I'd rather put the 600 bucks in for new parts and know they will be painted perfectly with matching paint and no chance on body shop imperfections. Sorry to hear it happened, but your right, you'll get over it and while that FJR is one pretty SOB, remember we ride for the fun of riding, not for looks, or else we'd be on Harleys.

If the guy that does restoration is known for quality, take it to him. Won't make any difference that it is a bike or car for paint work. Let him check about the paint too. I talked with my PPG rep the other day and he actually has some of the motorcycle codes, including 2007 Yamaha's. Should not be a big deal at all.

Hey Scab,

Nice to meet you the other day at the big MC show in Atlanta. No offense, but you don't look as good in person as you do in your picture. Jesse

The one thing that I have not figured out is a dent on the right hand side of the gas tank, approximately 6 inches to the left of the Yammi logo and toward the top.
Sorry to hear about your get off. Glad you are OK.

try to remember exactly what happened during the fall...It is likely that your dent on the tank is from your elbow or knee as you tried to save the bike. Don't ask me how I know. Those can usually be popped out with the proper tools from the inside. "A ding doctor" or mobile auto ding repair person can do it. The FJR tank is very soft.

Good luck.

sumotony,I feel your pain and glad you didn't get hurt physically. Don't know of anyone who can help you with the repairs...do you have collision insurance? If not, perhaps your insurance agent can point you to a good shop referral. Hope it all works out for you soon.

$500.00 deductible on the collision, just was not sure that I wanted to make a claim and suffer the rates possibly escalating.

That is a great video! Wish I could take credit and had been to half of those places.

Tony, I am in Lawrenceville! Have you called Pauleez (770-236-8412) in Lawrenceville? He is straight up hwy 29 (Lawrenceville hwy) he specializes in painting sportbikes!!!!! And I've seen his work, he knows what he is doing! Its worth a try bro!

Good luck and keep us posted!

MJ

Hey Sumo,Sorry to hear about your mishap,Hopefully you can get agood repair and paint job.

I recently had some parts painted for my wifes bmw at a shop in Lawrenceville called WickedWays.

They did a nice job for us but it wasn't cheap.Guess you have to pay for a good qaulity paint job.

Where's your house up in North Ga.? Is it above Helen?

Ive got a place up near Cornelia on the Hooch and my road is very steep but paved.

Leave the gravel roads to a dualsport,the FJR is versatile but is really to top heavy to be dancin in gravel.

god luck with your bike.

Hey Sumo,Sorry to hear about your mishap,Hopefully you can get agood repair and paint job.I recently had some parts painted for my wifes bmw at a shop in Lawrenceville called WickedWays.

They did a nice job for us but it wasn't cheap.Guess you have to pay for a good qaulity paint job.

Where's your house up in North Ga.? Is it above Helen?

Ive got a place up near Cornelia on the Hooch and my road is very steep but paved.

Leave the gravel roads to a dualsport,the FJR is versatile but is really to top heavy to be dancin in gravel.

god luck with your bike.
I actually already talked to a guy by the name of Brian at Wicked Ways. They are just down the road past Lawrencevile Honda Yamaha where I bought the bike. He said he would meet me on a Saturday to give me an estimate. I have also talked to a guy near home in Tucker at Ted's Auto Body that said he would have to buy a pint of paint from PPG to do the job, but would have most of it left that he would give me to keep. I know how meticulous this guy is as he did some body work on my wife's Jetta. He restores old Corvairs and there are always 2 or 3 of them sitting at his shop.

My place is off Hwy 105 also called Cannon Bridge road. From the Wal*Mart in Cornelia you take 105 toward hwy 115, cross over the Soque river, and hang a left on Twin River Orchard road just past an apple orchard and an electrical company. You wind back toward the river on Ponderosa road and White Rapids drive. The road goes from paved to county maintained, to no maintained where the folks that live back in that area occasionally buy a dump truck load of gravel to put in front of their house to fill in some of the deeper ruts. I actually have a very steep concrete drive down to my place, but getting to it is the tricky part. I won't be FJRing back anytime soon.

Tony, I am in Lawrenceville! Have you called Pauleez (770-236-8412) in Lawrenceville? He is straight up hwy 29 (Lawrenceville hwy) he specializes in painting sportbikes!!!!! And I've seen his work, he knows what he is doing! Its worth a try bro!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks. A guy at Lawrenceville Honda Yamaha recommended Pauleez and Wicked Ways as a couple of places to get estimates. I also have a local body shop that indicated he would give an estimate and would have to buy a pint of paint from PPG, but would have most of it left that he would give me when the job was completed. He stated that he did not do disassembly and reassembly of the parts, which would be fine with me and he is near by.

MJ

The one thing that I have not figured out is a dent on the right hand side of the gas tank, approximately 6 inches to the left of the Yammi logo and toward the top.
Sorry to hear about your get off. Glad you are OK.

try to remember exactly what happened during the fall...It is likely that your dent on the tank is from your elbow or knee as you tried to save the bike. Don't ask me how I know. Those can usually be popped out with the proper tools from the inside. "A ding doctor" or mobile auto ding repair person can do it. The FJR tank is very soft.

Good luck.
I think you are probably correct on the dented tank. I did not consider having made it from contact with my body initially as I came away unscathed, no bruises or anything, but then again, I was wearing tourmaster pants and jacket with armor in both elbow and knee areas, and may not have felt it anyhow if the tank is as soft as you indicate. After I get the plastic repaired I will take your advice on the ding doctor. It is actually barely noticeable, but I am some what of a perfectionist, and I know it's there and want it repaired.