Dunlop Road Smarts -HOLY CHRIST!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very NO-NO on the silicone grease.

:)

The silicone dismount story is not much to tell. I was surrounded by plenty of people, but most of them were throwing dirt on me with their rear tires since it was a race. :) Someone finally noticed I was missing from the ranks and came looking for me on the far side of the track. I was pinned under the bike and couldn't get out because the broken arm was what I needed to push myself off the ground.

The track was about an hour from home and I knew (unfortunately from experience) that I had roughly 45 minutes before the swelling and pain set in and the arm would be immovable. So I used my good arm to lift the elbow onto a fence post and simply set the bone with my own weight. No blood or gore, no heroism involved, nothing special about it, just knew it had to be done, so I manned-up and did it myself. The Ortho doc was all wide-eyed the next day when I told him how I set the arm. He said I did as good a job as he could have. It was a proud moment. :)

Once I determined what had caused such a bad spill on such a small jump, I felt very stupid. We're talking about a tubed tire coming off the rim from a minor impact with a dirt rut. That doesn't come close to comparing with the side load pressures on a tubeless street tire when the FJR is layed over and pushing through a sweeper. The thought of silicone on that tire bead scares the bejeeshus out of me!

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
On the other hand, tube type tires do not have the same bead design as tubeless tires, and are more likely to dismount themselves regardless of mount lubrication or anything else. Explains the trend to tubeless tires in all forms of motor vehicles. Add silicone (a REALLY BAD THING IMHO) and the likelihood of a tire incident worthy of a thread here go through the roof.

So, is there any kind of lube (other than silicone) that would be ok to use (please no KY jokes).

tire changing rookie

Man, this is a BAD idea IMHO.
Jeff,

Thanks for your opinion on the silicone. I will definitely rethink that proceedure. Although I have been using it for many many years with out incident I guess that doesen't mean that I will never encounter the right set of circumstances to cause a problem. Maybe a big pothole strike or something.

Always appreciate feedback, thanks.

So, is there any kind of lube (other than silicone) that would be ok to use (please no KY jokes).
tire changing rookie
Yeah -- go to an auto parts store (e.g., NAPA) and buy a gallon of tire mounting lubricant for under $5. (Use what the pros use at shops that mount tires.) It not only lubes the bead and rim to assist in getting the bead over the rim and makes it easier to set (with air pressure) once on the wheel, but it helps seal the bead on the rim when it's seated.

....I have never had a tire that swung from one end of the performance spectrum to the other over it's treadlife, to the degree that the Dunlop RoadSmart has. I am bitterly disappointed in the final grade I am giving this tire: C-
However, within about 1500-200 miles, a funky "high ridge" developed on the front tire. A very, VERY strange wear pattern, one that I have seen photos of on other tires, buy have never experienced myself. The "ridge" became so pronounced over time, it began to take MAJOR effort to tip the handlebars into a turn. It got progressively worse, and proved to be completely distracting as time wore on. They had maybe 500-1000 miles left on them when I ripped them off the FJR.
Oh Fudge! This is certainly distressing news (tire-changing probs aside as I have to pay someone else to do it) - I bought the RoadSmarts strictly based on the info gleaned from the Forum when I was looking to replace the BT-021's - which were not exactly satisfactory what with changing out two fronts for one rear. I had a measly 15K km on the new Smarts when I picked up three nails over two days and rode 600 mi. home with two plugs and a headless nail in the rear. I've just had the new tire installed and now I read from the Wizard himself that I may as well have flushed the $$ down the toilet.

Such is life - but thanks to the Forum I'm constantly informed.

Kasey

tire changing rookie
Yeah -- go to an auto parts store (e.g., NAPA) and buy a gallon of tire mounting lubricant for under $5. (Use what the pros use at shops that mount tires.) It not only lubes the bead and rim to assist in getting the bead over the rim and makes it easier to set (with air pressure) once on the wheel, but it helps seal the bead on the rim when it's set.
ags-rg18-400.jpg

tire changing rookie
Yeah -- go to an auto parts store (e.g., NAPA) and buy a gallon of tire mounting lubricant for under $5. (Use what the pros use at shops that mount tires.) It not only lubes the bead and rim to assist in getting the bead over the rim and makes it easier to set (with air pressure) once on the wheel, but it helps seal the bead on the rim when it's set.
ags-rg18-400.jpg

So I guess "Prestone" will work? The MSDS sheet for RuGlyde says the main ingredient is ethylene glycol, (antifreeze) mixed with a little soap. Seems reasonable as the glycol will not negatively effect rubber or metal.

Wonder what others use?

Read Up

The glycol is, I believe, there for it's lubrication qualities as well as providing protection against corrosion, important on steel wheels-water doesn't have this quality. It also won't freeze if used in cold weather mountings-in the jug, on the applicator, or on the wheel-which could cause a fast and dangerous loss of pressure as it opened up the bead-wheel interface. It dries, but doesn't turn into a powder or any other possibly abrasive material, which, in the flexing that occurs in a tire sidewall, could wear both the tire bead area and the finish of the wheel it's mounted to. It's all we use at the shop, and have for years. One might be able to produce a similar product with substances found in the home, but why? It's not expensive at all.

thanks for advise on slickum. I've never done my own tires, but i may this time. I'm currently riding on a set of 021s that get more freaky feeling with every additional mile.

However, within about 1500-200 miles, a funky "high ridge" developed on the front tire. A very, VERY strange wear pattern, one that I have seen photos of on other tires, buy have never experienced myself. The "ridge" became so pronounced over time, it began to take MAJOR effort to tip the handlebars into a turn. It got progressively worse, and proved to be completely distracting as time wore on. They had maybe 500-1000 miles left on them when I ripped them off the FJR.
I had this exact same experience with the roadsmarts. I put on a new set just before NAFO and just finished wearing them out. I have to admit good tread life on the rear and I just kept riding that knarly ass front. It did get better when I pushed the psi on the front to 40psi at about 3/4 life The strong push in the bars once leaned in went away for awhile. It was back though at the end, about 8000 miles. I am thinking of trying a different front with the roadsmart rear. I read Jeffs report on how some tires wont play well with this one. I like my front to wear out with the rear so that you get that all new tire feel when they are changed so I may go with a Pilot power or something soft and grippy. Post up if you have a combo like this that is working for you.

RS has been the worst mileage tire I've put on, never again( close to 5k f/r ) . The desert heat may be a factor but I doubt it. the PR2CT has done the trick for me, over 11K on the front ! YMMV

I did not experience any extra difficulty in mounting my RoadSmarts. One "tool" I have used to good effect is an old 17" car wheel. I use it while breaking the tire bead with my JC Whitney bead breaker and while dismounting and mounting the the tires using tire irons or spoons. With a length of rubber hose around the edge of the rim, the wheel and rotors are protected and the wheel/tire combination is off the ground and becomes much easier to manipulate. With the offside of the tire clearly within the shallow well of the wheel, levering the tire on is comparatively easy with, in my case, only minimal use of soapy water.

As to mileage, with trips to the N GA mountains, the Cherohala and EOM; my mileage was a little over 4,000 miles per tire. Tire wear was even over the entirety of the tread area and grip was consistent throughout the life of the tires. At sporting speeds, I make it a point not to bitch about tire life if the necessary grip is there. IMHO, if you want a great sport touring tire with the emphasis on sport, the Road Smarts are a great bet for your FJR.

One "tool" I have used to good effect is an old 17" car wheel. I use it while breaking the tire bead with my JC Whitney bead breaker and while dismounting and mounting the the tires using tire irons or spoons. With a length of rubber hose around the edge of the rim, the wheel and rotors are protected and the wheel/tire combination is off the ground and becomes much easier to manipulate. With the offside of the tire clearly within the shallow well of the wheel, levering the tire on is comparatively easy with, in my case, only minimal use of soapy water.
I built the same set up as a tire changing station, but I'm betting that like me, you have a 14" car wheel from a junk yard -- that's the size that works on these 17" motorcycle wheels. I have a 3/4" plywood base for the whole affair, with a 5/8" threaded rod through all of it. I slide a piece of 1x wood onto the rod over the spool of the wheel and then gently tighten a nut down to hold it. My wheel and tire is FIRMLY held in place for me to work on it then.

Mine were easy....I had the Yamaha dealer mount them this morning. I am going to pick the bike up this afternoon......ready to ride.

After wrestling with tires on the ground for years (resting on buckets or other tires), I also acquired an old car wheel (actually found it dumped on the side of the road). This [SIZE=14pt]15"[/SIZE] wheel is now bolted to a piece of 2" square tubing with a long threaded rod so that I can slide it into the trailer hitch on my truck. Now the FJR rim can't budge while spooning tires on or off. Makes a huge difference! My next tire will be a Roadsmart, so I guess I'll find out how tough they are soon.

I threw in the towel with my RoadSmarts as well...very disappointing. I've put on Azarros, Storms, and PR2s successfully. I hope I don't like these RoadSmarts...they were impossible to mount. :(
I just went on a ride today out to Galena, IL on these RoadSmarts...all I can say is WOW :yahoo: These tires are the most confidence inspiring tires in the curves that I have ever had...rock solid. :clapping: :clapping:

I WILL find a way to mount these suckers...

These tires are the most confidence inspiring tires in the curves that I have ever had...rock solid. :clapping: :clapping:
I WILL find a way to mount these suckers...
You are right, I had that exact same feeling when I first put them on. Unfortunately, after 2 or 3K miles they feel like you lost the belt to your power steering and became very "Truckish." Droping the air presure from 41 to 38 helped at that point, but still the front wore out well before the back and that was it for me. I did get to use them in some severe rain/leaves in the WV mountians and they stuck like glue.

I think I'm going back to Stradas? I don't know.

Back to Stroms until something new comes out to try.... :unsure:
Warchild,

I had a similar experience with the RS on the front. Mileage was under 4K, however, unlike your experience, I had to hold the FJR out of turns as the bike just wanted to keep pulling into the turn.

I replaced the rear tire with a STORM which took 2 ounces of balancing weights. I don't detect any tire shake. Should I worry about 2 oz of weights?

Slardy

This [SIZE=14pt]15"[/SIZE] wheel is now bolted to a piece of 2" square tubing with a long threaded rod so that I can slide it into the trailer hitch on my truck. Now the FJR rim can't budge while spooning tires on or off. Makes a huge difference!

Any pictures?

Thanks