EOM Great Rides - Deer, Gravel, Black Bear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR1300Mark

Reaction score
This was one great weekend. Well a little longer than a weekend. West Virginia has some good roads. The people that put together the meeting went way beyond! Everything seemed to just work and that doesn't happen without a lot of planning.

Thanks to all.

So what did I learn?

Ride smart!

Gravel sucks.

Deer are as dumb as dirt but a lot faster!!

I came up to a mother deer and doe on the left side of the road. I slow down to a very managable speed and sure enough the mother jumps the fence and travels away from the road way out of my path. The threat seams to have been averted until the doe runs in the opposite direction straight across the road in front of me! Thankfully I had slowed first.

They might be going for the Darwin awards.

And then on the ride home through a heavily forested ride which was way cool. I spotted something with fur moving so I slowed - and a black bear went scurrying across the road in front of me. I thought it would be good to slow for bear, but maybe not stop.

There were too many new things I might have to go and try now.

Geezer did the TBS while I was there. He said I wouldn't feel too much of a difference but he works magic. I was really enjoying the ride and I knew I was flying. When I stopped I had to take a picture.

fjr1300%20005.jpg

And then some more.

img_1022.jpg

Seneca Rocks

img_1020.jpg

img_1019.jpg

Good friend is Hinkle. Now he knows he owns a town in WV.

img_0997.jpg

The ride down to the bottom was one lane or less at times. But the bridge and the view was worth it. The bridge deck (road) was made out of 2/4 on edge. Wet and slippery even to walk on.

img_0999.jpg

img_1001.jpg

img_1002.jpg

img_1005.jpg

img_1004.jpg

img_1017.jpg

img_1016.jpg

One fast ride.

Ok the GPS reading is real, just that I must have left it on while on a Homeland Security Flight the next day.

Once again thanks to all!

Nice pictures. It looks like you went down the same roads I did. I carried my camera in my tank bag all the time, but never did stop to take a picture. Maybe next year I'll do that, but for now I'll just copy some of yours. ;)

Nice pictures. It looks like you went down the same roads I did. I carried my camera in my tank bag all the time, but never did stop to take a picture. Maybe next year I'll do that, but for now I'll just copy some of yours. ;)
Thanks for your help on the TBS. while I was the last of 12 or 15 I really liked it when you put the caps to the vacumn lines back on. After I dropped the fourth one in the engine I was mighty gun shy.

You are welcome to the photos. I kept the camera in my inside pocket but when I stopped I took some photos. The one in Hinkleville I had to ride past the sign and park several hundred yards down the road so I was out of traffic and then walk back. I just had to get the picture for my friends "the Hinkles" in florida.

the ride home was going to be too short so I added a few miles and made it a little too long. The seat was getting mighty hard as I rode into the driveway. But the views, the roads, the day was just perfect.

Next on the list is a better seat and to take one wrap off the throttle spring.

Thanks again.

Mark