External mounted radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xc1974

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has mounted a radio? I've been using an i pod, but it's not the handiest thing...you can't hear anyone when you stop at a stop sign or something. I wondered if you could mount some speakers in those screen looking things on the outside of the fairing (outside of the instrument cluster. Also what for a radio you use.

Harley Davidson sells a kit. I think it is around 22k. You get the speakers and everything you need to mount them. They even throw in a bike. :)

You can get a remote for the ipod so you can start and stop it when you need to talk to somebody.

Depends on what you want to spend, I have a Garmin 2820

that comes with ZM Radio and an MP 3 player also has bluetooth

it all runs through the J&M CB radio that I have on the

handlebar.

ride safe :p

Depends on what you want to spend, I have a Garmin 2820

that comes with ZM Radio and an MP 3 player also has bluetooth

it all runs through the J&M CB radio that I have on the

handlebar.

ride safe :p
Damn...I only get XM radio on the 2730. I wanna hear about ZM. :p

I run the 2730 through an autocom, works beautifully. Mute the volume if you want to talk to someone at a stop, or strap somone onto the pillion with a second headset.

I mounted a Jensen AM/FM/Weather radio and love it. It has an aux plug for my GPS which has built in MP3. Reception is good in town with a marine antenna hidden under seat, but reception drops pretty quickly in rural areas. I think I paid about $150 each for the radio and GPS and another $60 for the mount. Have used it for a year with no complaints. There was a review of the radio on web bike world.

DSC07507.jpg

DSC07508.jpg

DSC07509.jpg

Amazon has several speaker kits that look promising. Google: "motorcycle speakers site:amazon.com"

I mounted a Jensen AM/FM/Weather radio and love it. It has an aux plug for my GPS which has built in MP3. Reception is good in town with a marine antenna hidden under seat, but reception drops pretty quickly in rural areas. I think I paid about $150 each for the radio and GPS and another $60 for the mount. Have used it for a year with no complaints. There was a review of the radio on web bike world.

DSC07507.jpg

DSC07508.jpg

DSC07509.jpg
I, too, am using the Jensen and love it. Around town, good reception, but on the highway I switched to an automotive antenna mounted back on the Givi rack. I'm running it through my autocom and use it for amplification of my I pods.

this should work.https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-radio/jensen-jhd910-radio/
That's mine. Photo of the installation:

BrktrtwGPS.jpg

And the answers for the next recurring questions:

I do like it and the reception is equivalent to our cars with the whip antenna. For commuting and around town there is a simple mount at the base of the right mirror for a rubber duckie antenna.

The mount attaches to the two forward tank hold-down bolts.

You do have to make your own bracket and while it's tight between the tank and steering head, it's worked fine.

The finger in this photo is pointing to a pad that I have between the bracket and tank.

Brktpad.jpg

No I didn't make a pattern for the mount. It was basically a shop throw-together but here're pix.

The mount is .082 aluminum (2024).

Under the side, the aft hole is for the speaker jack. The forward hole is for the BMW/Powerlet power port.

Brktrttupper.jpg

I no longer have the Gerbings controller mounted under the bracket, but here's another side shot of the bracket:

Brktrtside.jpg

I use earbuds. In the first photo, the thing pointed from under the radio toward the tank is a L-adapter from Radio Shack that the buds plug into.

I tried a bluetooth xmtr and headset. While it worked, I gave up on fussing with BT batteries and syncing for now. (Personal preference)