Fairing Repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpbfjr

WpbFJR
Reaction score
anybody have experience repairing the front nose of their fjr?

i need some help form those of you that have taken the front-end off your

fjr's...

i replaced the front with: new stay/subframe, new headlight assembly, and new

nose cowling... the upper left cowling mates fine to the forward mounting

points, but seems to be to 'far' rearward by 3/4 inches... it will not fall

into line with dash panel 'a'... also, the left front lower fairing misses the bolt hole that is in the middle by 3/4 inchs: think 4:30 position from frame post...

when i mounted the front stay/subframe, it was a tight fit, and i had to tap in

the retaining bolts, so i *think* it's snug and centered... there is maybe

1/32 inch to 1/16 inch of forward movement possible, but i doubt it due to the

snugness of the mounting bolts...

i took pictures of the disassembly process, and replaced all spacers, gromets,

ect...

any ideas?

thanks in advance,

dana

Last edited by a moderator:
upon further investigation, i *think* the stubs that the subframe mounts to are bent, also... grrrrrr... i measured the distance from different fixed points and find about 5/8 inch difference between right and left sides of the subframe...

maybe insurance total it, since i'm lost as to how the frame can be safely realligned...

grrrrr....

Why not try to "shim" the frame attachment?

I just finished epoxy repairing over a dozen of my fairing mounting tabs and headlamp mounting ears. Reassembly was a real bear. Patience and persistance will get you through this, too.

A few nights I quit because I couldn't figure out how to resolve a problem but thinking it through would allow an alternative plan to come through.

As I see it, this whole sub assembly (dashboard, front fairing & both top fairings) was put together on a workbench and mounted on the bike as one piece. You need very small hands and patience to do it.

I don't have small hands! <_<

dobias