Fearing pocket storage problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblue

Reaction score
Have an "05" & today the fearing pocket stopped locking. Nothing appears broken & didn't try forcing it shut.

There appears to be a small bar/sliding tab that works to make the hook latch onto to the cover to keep it shut. The buttom we depress to open it does not have any tention to it anymore so I can not get the cover to latch and stay shut.

The bike will start and I can drive with the cover in the open position.

Anyone run into this, any resolutions.

thks

catflip.jpg

Have an "05" & today the fearing pocket stopped locking. Nothing appears broken & didn't try forcing it shut.

There appears to be a small bar/sliding tab that works to make the hook latch onto to the cover to keep it shut. The buttom we depress to open it does not have any tention to it anymore so I can not get the cover to latch and stay shut.

The bike will start and I can drive with the cover in the open position.

Anyone run into this, any resolutions.

thks

o.k. I'm in another club, great.... :yahoo: so any fixes out there, just duct tape it closed or find a crashed FJR and grab the storgae pocket? Is there a year range that matches up? Any ideas on cost of replacement?

thks

Look hard, long and very closely at this photograph my FJR Forum Friends: This is the only pussy that RadioHowie has had in the last decade.

An interesting thread, never had a problem with the Glove Box on my '03! I'll give SkootyG a call and see if he knows of a fix, he's a smart fart!

I can't really tell what is going on from your description.

The glovebox on my first FJR lasted 7 years and 226,000 miles. The one on my 2nd FJR broke at 60,000 miles. I am fairly certain it was from some idiot forcing it open without ignition on/nuetral before I owned the bike and damaging it, and then that damage slowly getting worse. From the git-go, it never worked smoothly.

Best to disassemble and inspect and see what part is broken. Mine had a worn part in the latch mechanism. Un-fixable - I tried. I tried to find a used one for a while - here on the forum, ebay, salvage yards - all to no avail. Got plenty of advice here on the forum on how to jury-rig it with velcro and stuff but I didn't want to do that. Finally broke down and bought a new one from a discount parts vendor. I think it was around $100.

You want a box for an 04/05. They are identical.

Is the "Fearing pocket" where I am supposed to keep my fear of a getting a speeding ticket? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Fearing is what I'm doing now over the cost to repair/replace. Besides I need a secure place for crying towel after recent ticket in LUDLOW VT :angry2: Dam Sheriffs dept nothin better to do than hide behind buildings.

I got a ticket in Ludlow, VT years ago. When I made it to my friend's ski house and told them I got a ticket they said: "Oh yeah, that cop is there all the time." Thanks guys you could have told me that before I drove up here!!!

I can't really tell what is going on from your description.

The glovebox on my first FJR lasted 7 years and 226,000 miles. The one on my 2nd FJR broke at 60,000 miles. I am fairly certain it was from some idiot forcing it open without ignition on/nuetral before I owned the bike and damaging it, and then that damage slowly getting worse. From the git-go, it never worked smoothly.

Best to disassemble and inspect and see what part is broken. Mine had a worn part in the latch mechanism. Un-fixable - I tried. I tried to find a used one for a while - here on the forum, ebay, salvage yards - all to no avail. Got plenty of advice here on the forum on how to jury-rig it with velcro and stuff but I didn't want to do that. Finally broke down and bought a new one from a discount parts vendor. I think it was around $100.

You want a box for an 04/05. They are identical.

Mine broke a few weeks ago. Bought a small but powerful magnet at the hardware store and glued it on the inside. Stays shut, looks stock and easily opens by lifting up the lid. It actually works better than the factory latch solution.

I removed the button used to open it, just pops off as you know and the tab for latching onto the cover is intact. If I lift up that tab there is white post that rises and falls, that should get a few responses and that is fine. To the right of the tab that latches onto the cover there appears to be a post of sorts that is loose/broken. So that is what I'm assuming is preventing it from working properly.

Can u give me the name of discount source you used?

Looks like I need to reach in to the beer fund for a replacement.

thks