fed up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jride

Reaction score
I have about 21kmi on my 09 and i have tried 4 different pairs of grips, grip puppies, heavy bar end weights and just this week a pair of vibranators

so far nothing seems to do much good. I am just about ready to sell the bike. I can't ride 30 min without my right hand going numb i never had this much trouble with my v twin. I had gel grips on and didn't even need to grip the bars to hold speed but still the vibration gets me.

I am open for suggestions but i don't thing anything is going to help short of a different bike

Last edited by a moderator:
Grip puppies and risers did it for me.

Have you looked into the throttle spring unwind?

Some bikes just don't work for some folks -- different frequencies and all that. Having said that, it's a good thing you didn't ride what I had 40 years ago -- a '69 BSA 650 Thunderbolt that would have numbed you all the way to your toes. But everything vibrated in those days. :lol:

Loosen your grip on the bars! Try a cramp buster for throttle help although the pull on an '09 is very nice...I wouldn't do the spring unwind on the '09.

Google Master Yoda riding position to try a different position on the bike.

Good luck.

--G

Agree on the TBS... that's if you haven't done it already. I'm sure there is some variation in vibes between individual FJR's. I don't notice any vibes in my bike. I'm often impressed with how smooth the ride is. +1 on the maybe try someone else's bike. Loosened motor mounts where frame sliders were added?

Might be hard to understand or even believe, but I'd swear that this advice reduced vibration on my bike. Linky That's only one of the benefits--and a minor one at that. ;)

New tires always help, too. :thumbsup:

One other thing to check is your engine mounting bolts. make sure they are torqued in the correct sequence to the specified torque :rolleyes:

Don

Some bikes just don't work for some folks -- different frequencies and all that.
This is actually an excellent statement.

I bought my FJR1300 from a very seasoned rider who is currently the editor of a motorcycling magazine. He'd had the Barbarian Mod and Throttle Spring Mods done, had a Performance® HeliBars® Replacement Triple Clamp installed (which he felt had eliminated a lot of the vibration that he had originally felt in the handgrips) but ultimately ended up selling the bike because.... after riding for any distance, his neck hurt. A LOT.

Simply put, he couldn't handle the discomfort associated with riding the FJR1300 as it just didn't work for him.

On the other hand, it fits me perfectly and I think that it's the most comfortable bike that I've ever ridden.

As to vibrations, I feel them when riding my CBR1100XX while my son feels absolutely nothing but silky smoothness when riding the Honda. Sometimes, I feel a bit of vibration on the FJR1300 but it doesn't affect me in the least.

All motorcycles vibrate but each individual will feel that vibration differently. Either they won't feel it at all (and swear that their bike doesn't vibrate), they'll feel it a little bit, a lot, or so much that they don't enjoy riding the bike.

Definitely try doing the TBS and any other changes that you feel might help but if nothing works for you, resign yourself to selling the bike and buying one that you can enjoy riding.

jride,

Sorry that you are having so much trouble with your FJR that you are considering to let it go. A quick analysis of your complaint points to your likely death grip on the throttle, or your left hand would be numb as well. You need to unwind the spring one turn and install one of the many throtte locks, or a real cruise control. I'm confident there is a solution out there waiting for you.

Bob

It's something other than engine vibration. Look for the real problem before dumping the bike. I used grip puppiew for a short time, didn't like em much, had to grip the bars harder in the tight turns, and they were mushie. Maybe a heli-riser for a differet bar angle.

The Master Yoda mentioned before is what came to my mind. You must remove all weight from your hands and arms, and not lean on the handlebar. Also, death grip on the throttle does no good.

As the owner of a cruise-control-equipped bike, I can state unequivocally that using my throttle hand puts my hand to sleep, using the cruise relaxes it. My bike has the throttle spring unwound one turn but the throttle is still quite stiff, and that pressure can fatigue your hand quickly.

Someone mentioned Helibars. [admin edit to remove rule 10 violation. member has been notified and warned.] Spieglerusa.com also makes a conversion kit to change out the clipons to a round bar style. That would give you many options to change your seating position so you are not putting a bunch of weight on your wrists.

jride,

Sorry that you are having so much trouble with your FJR that you are considering to let it go. A quick analysis of your complaint points to your likely death grip on the throttle, or your left hand would be numb as well. You need to unwind the spring one turn and install one of the many throtte locks, or a real cruise control. I'm confident there is a solution out there waiting for you.

Bob

I'm with Bob. The most likely reason that your right hand hurts and the left one conspicuously doesn't is because you are gripping the throttle side harder. You need to consciously loosen your grip of the throttle.

If the spring tension of the throttle causes it to close when you release your grip you can either reduce the spring tension (spring unwind) or increase your leverage on the throttle by using a throttle rocker.

I'm a constant user and big proponent of the original style of throttle rockers, or if you can't find one of those, try a narrow cramp-buster. I have one on all three of my bikes. These are the type of wrist rest that are just a self-gripping curl of plastic, locking only in the "throttle-on" direction, but freely turning in the throttle off direction.. They do not have velcro straps that attach them to the grip. Which allows you to adjust them dynamically to the conditions that you are riding in. When you are in the twisties it is a quick adjustment to get it out of the way. But when you are cruising or slabbing you can move it up into a position that keeps your hand and wrist ina neutral position without any grasp on the bars.

These things make all the difference. I know there are two distinct camps on these devices. Those that love them like me, and those that hate them because they feel they sometimes unintentionally bump the throttle. I think that most of the latter group either have not used one long enough to become accustomed to it being there, or else have one of the velcro attached ones that can't easily be adjusted when not desired.

Once you stop the death grip, your hand and wrist pain will be dramatically reduced.

Well, I don't know about some people feeling the vibes in a bike different than others. Maybe. I do know that I've had two FJR's. An 04 and my current 08 and the 08 has more high pitch vibes coming through the seat, pegs, and to a minor extent the grips. My 04 was much smoother. I think it is just that for some reason some bikes (FJR'S) are different in that respect. I've tried some home remedies and fixes, but none have worked so far.

GP

Well, I don't know about some people feeling the vibes in a bike different than others. Maybe. I do know that I've had two FJR's. An 04 and my current 08 and the 08 has more high pitch vibes coming through the seat, pegs, and to a minor extent the grips. My 04 was much smoother. I think it is just that for some reason some bikes (FJR'S) are different in that respect. I've tried some home remedies and fixes, but none have worked so far.

GP
+1

My 2nd 04 FJR is most definitely smoother with respect to vibration than my first 04 FJR was.

I have been struggling with the same thing with my 04 FJR. I have tried risers, corbin seat (to change how much weight is transferred to the handle bars) and grip puppies. The grip puppies seems to help the most for me, but nothing seems to completely fix the problem. I think its just the difference in vibrations between a 4 cylinder engine to a V Twin. Just runs at a higher frequency. But those 3 things seemed to have helps me a LOT!!

Good luck!