Feedback Please--Ram X-Grip Phone Holder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another x-grip user here. I use it with my iphone. I've noticed that sometimes the phone will start jumping ahead as if someone is touching the screen - my theory is that one or more of the rubber pieces is contacting the glass and causing this. I've been using the phone without a case because My earphone jack doesn't fit through the opening in the case. I've just installed a Sena 20s so I'll be cutting that cord and using a case going forward, hopefully that makes this issue go away.

Check this one out from Ram, more secure and not so clunky looking 100 % adjustable.RAM-HOL-PD3U

I have four of these and use them on the bike snowmobile 4 wheeler.

Looks like 128 around Boston. Some seriously nasty road surface. If you do a frame by frame analisys your lucky you didn't high side in one of the grooves. Never mind the phone. If you have a 75 mile an hour wind and bumps like that all bets are off the table.

Hope you had insurance for loss.

Dave

Not my video, just remember seeing the video and made the connection reading this thread.

Another x-grip user here. I use it with my iphone. I've noticed that sometimes the phone will start jumping ahead as if someone is touching the screen - my theory is that one or more of the rubber pieces is contacting the glass and causing this.
I figured out the problem that was causing the songs to rapidly fast forward. The iphone has a "shake to shuffle" feature, and the bike/x-grip vibrates enough to shuffle the music. Going into the settings and turning this feature off solves the problem.

I have one on my Tenere as well...and its mounted to the dash plastic, which does get some vibes. Between that, and the gravel roads I've been on, the phone doesn't move in the mount. I use the same arm in my truck now too...

I would imagine that if your phone is not large enough that the grips may or may not have enough space to hold the phone....

I have an Galaxy S4 with an extended battery and case to fit, which is much larger then an Iphone.... when the wings are spread they land on the phone with at least an inch inside the top and bottom of the phone.... I also have a rubberized case, not plastic sided case, which likely adds to the fact that its even less slippery for the grips themselves. Clearly its a YMMV type scenario with which phone you have here and which case if any ?!?

I bought the ram bone so I could buy the x-grip. I love both the ram-bone and x-grip. I had the same concern as you. I used it just before my trip to Colorado. I was concerned that my iphone would go bouncing down the highway. I ran a little bit of fishing line through the holes in my iphone case and then attached that fishing line loop to my tank bag retaining strap. It turned out that I didn't need to do all that, as the x-grip does its job perfectly. My experience has been the phone doesn't move. my only concern is when it rains, but then it just gets slipped into the tank bag. while your buying stuff and getting setup. if you have a batter tender (SAE cable end) did you know that battery tender makes a SAE to USB connector. I have my battery tender up by my bars, so I connect the USB adapter, then I can plug my iphone in and keep it charged. My helmet links to my phone, so using siri I get nav directions to my helmet and don't have to worry about iphone battery going low.

@Rrarthur: GREAT suggestion, at least for me. I have a Battery Tender pigtail wired into the battery and the lead comes out right next to the Ram Bone. Plus I have just one ciggy lighter adapter that I use for my GPS, electric vest, or whatever, so now I can easily run two at once. $11.69 at Amazon. Thanks.

I had the X grip. I didn't like the way it rotates a little less than a quarter turn while holding your phone.
This would be my one and only single complaint. Otherwise I love it. Last week the wife said she wanted a phone holder for her car since she uses the google navigation a lot. She was looking at el cheapo ones. I closed her browser windows and went to Amazon and ordered her an x mount with the requisite car stuff. Still waiting on it to arrive, but for me there was no question about what to order, even if it was more costly than the ones she was looking at. I told her that if it wouldn't fall out on the bike, it wasn't going to fall off on her car. Looking forward to it coming in.

Here's my daily commute setup so I can keep an eye on traffic ahead and navigate accordingly. In the photo you can see to the left the accident I'm going around thanks to my phone being visible.

1017014_10201873288304187_1393432365_n_zpsa874e61b.jpg

I just got one and put it on the bike. Thought the bit of movement within the hub of the x-grip that occurs with the arms engaged around the phone would be an issue despite the solid and secure clamp down on my Motorola Droid. Wasn't an issue at all. Took the bike out for a good spin. Ran a good section of slightly improved back roads and interstate speeds up to 85 mph with 10-20 mph gusts. Phone stayed right in place. Phone mounted on left side over the clutch reservoir. Me like my first Farkle. Getting the rubber feet to not come in contact with my power, volume buttons and also not get in the way of the power cord plug-in was at first a concern but aligning the one rubber foot between the power and volume buttons clears the other rubber foot of the power supply access. I'm good.

I use them on multiple bikes, and have never had an issue with the grip. However, the rubber pieces that touch the phone are prone to coming off. A touch of your favorite all-purpose glue solves that problem.

I also have a detachable camera strap wrapped around the handlebars, with the opposite end threaded through the lower left-hand corner of the Lifeproof case, and attached when riding....just in case.

I did have my xgrip mounted on clutch reservoir mount and it did well 99% of the time. But I have been on a couple of rough highways in SF Bay Area where my iPhone bounced out of cradle. The charging cord is the only thing that kept it from becoming a high speed hockey puck. Second time it happened I pulled the mount from clutch reservoir (where I think rough road vibration may be more significant) and mounted down between the bars. Now putting Velcro strap around it as a fail safe though, can't bring myself to trust it without some sort of lanyard/retainer.

+1 on xgrip + RamBone. Works well with both iPhone5 and 6 in an otterbox. Doesn't move, inclusive of spirited pace.

+1 on the X-Grip and Rambone. Holds my Galaxy Note 3 perfectly. Your phone will not come out of this accidentally. Excellent product.

Just transferred my Xgrip from my Rambone on the 05 to the MV Motorrad Riser Ball..... perfect setup with the 3" long clamp...

At first I thought, why did MV put that ball all the way up by the key, this aint gunna work, I'm going to have to drill and tap a new location... :(

When I moved it over, and slung it as low as I could down along the riser and towards me, it turned out to be a perfect setup..... thrilled with the location, forgot to take a pic, but I will when I get home.

When I was looking at the X-Mount, I heard that there were issues with the phone coming out of the cradle as well as the cradle itself rotating/turning from vibration. Someone recommended this mount to me and I am using it instead for a Samsung S4 in an UAG case. Works great and is very solid! Adjusts to many phone sizes and will work with cases too.....

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN4U