Final drive oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graler

Reaction score
For the first time in a while I have had a bit of extra time. I decided to learn a little more about my bike. Tonights learning was about oil. No I am not going to ask what kind everyone uses - I wasn't born yesterday. That discussion is only definitive on tires anyway. :huh:

I started at the final drive. Read my little owners manual. Oil up to the lower threads - thats easy. I loosened the bolt and was welcomed by oil streaming out. It appears that the PO wanted a place to store extra oil so he put it in there. I let it drain until it stopped - right at the lower threads.

Bike was on the center stand and it was cool (3 hours since I road last).

So almighty borg. What would the impact of too much oil in the final drive be? I would think pressure would be higher and maybe blow past some seals? This might show up at the weep hole right. I have found some oil there. Not a lot but some.

I have the level right now correct? Lower threads with drive cool and on the center stand.

I agree with all your conclusions. This thread made it to NEPRT before anyone could even reply. I personally think some of us benefit from the so-called NEPRT threads. It might have saved me from buying Dex-Cool coolant if there had been some current discussion. Anyway, I installed gear-lube yesterday to the lower threads, bike on center-stand. Good job!

not even worth calling you a putz.. AS you have posted in English I'll ASS U ME you have at least read the intro here..

I personally think some of us benefit from the so-called NEPRT threads.
You're so right! If only somebody could create an area of common NEPRT things......maybe call it "Best of NEPRT" and pin it for both newbs and regulars to read....and have it include links to common questions asked before many many times. Gawd if we only had the technology..... :(

Oh wait...we do...and this subject is already linked in it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
not even worth calling you a putz.. AS you have posted in English I'll ASS U ME you have at least read the intro here..
- groveling - I heartily apologize for posting this question. I did a google search on too much oil in final drive - several different ways and never saw the NEPRT match. In the future I will be more diligent. Do I have to give myself a -1 now? :unsure:

- groveling - I heartily apologize for posting this question. I did a google search on too much oil in final drive - several different ways and never saw the NEPRT match. In the future I will be more diligent. Do I have to give myself a -1 now? :unsure:
Totally worth a -5 dood. But the good news is you can ignore Bust. He's prolly drunk!

Don't stress the extra oil. Unless your bike blows up...Then, we told you so!

They were actually nice to you, compared to some others that have asked for information that already exists on the forum. You'll be fine. I like the NEPRT threads too!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah... Yer pretty much relegated to ziila's status........................ Fucked. :lol:

Might be prudent to wait a bit longer before checking fluid levels. Like tire pressures, I prefer to check mine stone cold (having cooled overnight) whenever practical. Don't know whether there is much advantage (or disadvantage) to any particular method, as long as ya do it regularly, religiously. So, what say the (self-proclaimed, and otherwise) experts? Or is this a NEPRQ(uestion)?

Latest posts