Finally on the Road!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffmcgill3

Reaction score
Well, it's been a long wait, but I'm finally on the road on my new-to-me 2007 FJR. Purchased in 6-28-12. I was in pain at the time and couldn't ride it home, so bike was delivered 100 miles for free by dealer (Full Throttle Powersports, Lowell, NC) and covered for protection. I was diagnosed with cancer (Multiple Myeloma) a couple of weeks later and underwent treatment in Winston-Salem, NC and Little Rock, AR until July of 2013. I wound up living in Little Rock a great deal of that time.

The bike sat under cover, taunting me during my breaks from treatment until 2 weeks ago, when I finally had recovered enough to actually ride it. What an amazing steed! I'm so glad that I took the time to find this awesome bike, which I purchased with 1,026 miles on it. Yes, you read it right. 1,026 miles! And thanks to this forum, this wrench-impaired rider managed to access the battery, remove it, recharge it and replace it. While I had the battery out, I managed to install charging terminals and keep a Battery Tender attached, so that it was ready to go when I was. Until I was able to mount up and ride, starting the bike and listening to the bike served as motivation for me to recover. I've gotten a new GPS (Garmin Nuvi 2595 automotive) and a RamMount AquaBox and am hitting the road for Maryland's Eastern Shore this weekend! It's gonna be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Meet "Whodini," the master escape artist. I know the man spelled his name Houdini, but since I'm old-school, I'm thinking that I may use the 80's rap group spelling. Maybe I'll figure out after this weekend of road therapy...

20140420_121415.jpg

Have a fantastic trip Jeff! And may the road traveled this weekend be much more pleasant than the road you've been down.

Let us know how it goes will ya?

She sure is a great lookin' bike.

As has been said....have a fantastic trip. Oh, and thank you for the perspective wake up call. I needed it brother. Just ride the heck out of that fine looking motorcycle.

Good lookin' bike, and not just saying that as another '07 owner.

Not to spread FUD, but since the bike only had 1026 miles, have you replaced the tires? If original, those skins may be coming up on eight years old and the FJRs tend to load tires a fair bit. I can't find a definitive recommendation on how old is too old, but thinking 8 years has crossed the line. Anyone else comment?

Enjoy your beautiful 2007 FJR Jeff. Take it on some shakedown rides before the big trips and check it over well.

You have been through a lot and may The Lord watch over and protect you on your travels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I will definitely have a great trip. And I always welcome the advice that comes from the forum. Denver_FJR, I haven't replaced the tires, yet, but it's on my short list. And this weekend's trip is a season-opening fun/fellowship run that doesn't include much in the way of technical roads. The eastern shore is flat and primarily straight. There will be some twisties, but nothing that will put me or the tires to any serious test. But thanks for the concern.

I'll let you guys know how it goes...

Wow, you've been on a long and difficult trip and survived. I think you'll find the one coming up much more fun and satisfying. Have fun on the ride, and hope to see you on the road!

Grateful to read your story and glad to hear you're getting out on the road. Hearing what you've overcome is inspiring and puts thing sin perspective.

Be Well and Ride Safe!

She's a real beauty, Jeff! We can feel your excitement. I'll echo others and say you deserve this ride, for sure. Be careful and enjoy the life you've been given. Safe traveling!

Love the stripes and silver undertail, and looking forward to your ride report. Keep in mind Harry is spelled Hairy after 4K rpms !