Finished-up Audiovox Cruise Control Install, Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machyoung

Reaction score
Just finished install and test ride. All works, I assume properly. I did not have an oportunity to really travel far from home traversing hills, ups, downs, etc. My initial observation is that the engagement is exteremly slow ( perhaps 1 - 2 seconds). This may be self inflicted as I did leave quite a bit of slack in the chain. I suppose I could remove tank and re-adjust. Looking for feedback!

I also unwound the throttle spring 1 wind in an attempt to ease throttle stiffness. The spring came off/on the tang w/o difficulty. What I immediately noticed however is that the spring is super loosey goosey. Like the spring does not even rely on the tang until you start to roll on the throttle. Is this right? Wrong? I did buy the bike used but I can't believe that the previous owner had already performed the spring unwind. Anybody?

All in all a success. Will further test rideability in the next few days! Thanks for any responses, Robert

you need to put a check valve in the vacuum line and then there is no delay in the engagement.

R

Just finished install and test ride. All works, I assume properly. I did not have an oportunity to really travel far from home traversing hills, ups, downs, etc. My initial observation is that the engagement is exteremly slow ( perhaps 1 - 2 seconds). This may be self inflicted as I did leave quite a bit of slack in the chain. I suppose I could remove tank and re-adjust. Looking for feedback!
I also unwound the throttle spring 1 wind in an attempt to ease throttle stiffness. The spring came off/on the tang w/o difficulty. What I immediately noticed however is that the spring is super loosey goosey. Like the spring does not even rely on the tang until you start to roll on the throttle. Is this right? Wrong? I did buy the bike used but I can't believe that the previous owner had already performed the spring unwind. Anybody?

All in all a success. Will further test rideability in the next few days! Thanks for any responses, Robert
Mine had about the same engagement delay before I removed the cable slack. Now it's almost instantaneous.

Pat

I did use a check valve (Napa something or other). I also used Smitty's vacuum canister and recomendations for Gen 1 servo/vacuum canister placement. I'll test over the next few days, possibly adjust out some slack, and post-up the results.

Every one I've installed, bike or car, has had an engagement delay as you describe.
You don't have to live with this long delay in engagement. In most cases the delay is indeed caused by slack in the bead chain. If an application does not have a vacuum canister and draws from only one vacuum port low vacuum could be the cause.

I installed my servo last night on a 05 Gen I. I too released the spring off the tang and could not remember if I had already done this some time before. Yes it to was loose and did not rest on the tang. The throttle would then not return back to itself positively.

So now the task of winding the spring back on. Study and Study the location. Ha Ha. 20 inches of safety wire, folded in half, twisted to leave about a 1/2" inch loop at the end then make it crisp with screwdriver tip.

Make a rough 3 inch soft loop from the looped end, now slide it from the rear under the spring location and needle nose grab the looped end as it comes back up the front the the spring.

With needle nose catch the looped end onto the springs 90 degree tang section. Then gently pull the wire assembly back out and it will then proceed to wind the spring back tighter one loop circumference. Once the looped end has appeared back on top just catch the springs 90 degree bend back on to the tang and wala........ done and wound back tighter one full turn. Go this done in 5 minutes.

the throttle then snaps return positively and I trust that more for a confident return.

So it goes to say the spring i must have unwound some time before and this last time was to weak for it to do its job.

Dont panic it can be done without removing the air box and boots, but the fuel rail removed does make it easier.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Even though mine appears to be too loose, it still has a very positive return. Working great so far. Thanks for the insight however just in case I change my mind!