First 300+ Mile Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried most of the tricks for the hands. Nothing has worked for me - including heavier bar end weights. I have a Vista Cruise throttle lock that I engage every 20 minutes or so for a few minutes.

I've done many 500 - 650 mile days on the stock seat. I really don't believe any seat is completely comfortable for all day rides. The stock seat is the most comfortable factory seat I've ever had, so I just deal with it. Everyone is different though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased grip puppies and they do help with the vibration issue. I also wear a set of fingerless leather gloves with gel pads in them. I can ride all day now with no numbness in hands. I still have vibes in the seat at 4000 rpms but quess ill just have to tolorate that. I have never had an inline four that puts out a buzz like this motor does it sucks.

You can farkle yourself silly if your not careful!
+1 on that. You can add handlebar risers, but then you'll be sitting back further with more weight on your butt, so you'll need an expensive aftermarket seat, and your head will be further from the windshield and higher so you'll be getting buffeted, so you'll try several different windshields (none of which will really solve the problem).

Or you can learn the Master Yoda technique - slide forward on the seat, carry more of your weight on your legs relieving the pressure on your butt and eliminating the pressure on your hands. That's the technique these bikes were designed for. It takes some getting used to and unlearning bad habits from cruisers, but it does work.

https://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbt...amp;Number=2737
Yoda technique? I call that position the squashed dick!

I agree with the gist of this post, spend more saddle time before making modifications.

My used bike came with the tall screen, optional cobin seat and I added the bar risers with some pull back.

This made the bike more comfortable for me only a little bit. What really made it comfy is us breaking in to each other.

As far as seat pain goes, I used to be able to go over a 100 miles a day on a pedal bike, honest the ass knows the way to a pain free experience but it takes time.
Love your first line. My sentiments exactly. Great laf to start the day. That said, I put bar risers on and DO sit too upright so I really have to compensate when in the Twists by sitting on my boys...However, the easy stuff or slab, the upright work. I also sit on a beaded seat cover. Works really well. Got the idea from an FJR IRON BUTT rider. Not soft, but never sore or tired. Gone 700 in a day and its fine.

RR

Love your first line. My sentiments exactly. Great laf to start the day. That said, I put bar risers on and DO sit too upright so I really have to compensate when in the Twists by sitting on my boys...However, the easy stuff or slab, the upright work. I also sit on a beaded seat cover. Works really well. Got the idea from an FJR IRON BUTT rider. Not soft, but never sore or tired. Gone 700 in a day and its fine.

RR

I've seen many of the Iron Butt bike sporting the beads. I admit I haven't shopped for them, but is there a good brand or perhaps a brand to stay away from? I'm wondering where to pick one up.

When my '05 was new, the bar vibes were fairly strong. Vibes got weaker as the bike got broken in, now, at 45k, there's very little bar vibration left. I put on risers, bar end weights, and BMW grips back in '05. Still happy with that layout. Every now & then I have to remind myself to loosen the 'death grip'. I also use a vista cruise so I can take my hands off the throttle from time to time, but I had to do that with my previous bike too (cruiser).

I found the stock seat totally unacceptable for anything longer than a tank. Did research on this & other forums, bought a Russell in '06. Love it. Best purchase I've ever made. I know, I know, it's alot of money. But my buns thank me every vacation ride (2 weeks this year).

FWIW, your mileage may vary, etc etc. Good luck !

The Cramp Buster works great. I just got back from a 5 day 2400 mile ride and it was a real help. I also have a Vista Cruise. Its cheap and does a good job. I like to move around alot on long rides. I found that if I stuff my tank bag with a jacket liner or something I can lean forward on it every once in a while and slide my butt to the back of the seat. I then rest my elbows on my thighs and put my weight on my feet. I only stay in that position for a few minutes at a time but it sure takes the weight off the butt.

Another vote here for the anal beads. I got mine about two years ago at AutoZone for around $10 and it was big enough to cut apart and make two pads for the FJR. You will probably have to do some re-knotting of the strings that the beads are mounted on but it isn't rocket science. Not everyone likes them but then you haven't invested many hundreds of dollars either. 300 miles will be a piece of cake after you get used to the FJR, it just takes some time.

The Heli risers work well for me.

Another vote here for the anal beads. I got mine about two years ago at AutoZone for around $10 and it was big enough to cut apart and make two pads for the FJR. You will probably have to do some re-knotting of the strings that the beads are mounted on but it isn't rocket science. Not everyone likes them but then you haven't invested many hundreds of dollars either. 300 miles will be a piece of cake after you get used to the FJR, it just takes some time.
The Heli risers work well for me.
I just put my beads back on by seat after doing some maintenance and the string (mono) broke. I just rebeaded with some 80# fishing mono and its good to go. Cheap and it works.

RR

Anal beads? I don't think I wanna go there.

Grip Puppies

Throttle Rocker

Helibars

Airhawk Seat

I have about 15K with this set up and everything is groovy for me. I don't use the Airhawk unless its a long ride, even for all day, on the bike, off the bike days I leave it off and am just fine. Strap it on for looooong rides.

Strap on, and anal beads.......am I on the right forum??

Anal beads? I don't think I wanna go there.
Grip Puppies

Throttle Rocker

Helibars

Airhawk Seat

I have about 15K with this set up and everything is groovy for me. I don't use the Airhawk unless its a long ride, even for all day, on the bike, off the bike days I leave it off and am just fine. Strap it on for looooong rides.

Strap on, and anal beads.......am I on the right forum??
Its a rather personal choice! I tend to like them and keep them on the seat.....LOL.

I've tried most of the tricks for the hands. Nothing has worked for me - including heavier bar end weights. I have a Vista Cruise throttle lock that I engage every 20 minutes or so for a few minutes.
I've done many 500 - 650 mile days on the stock seat. I really don't believe any seat is completely comfortable for all day rides. The stock seat is the most comfortable factory seat I've ever had, so I just deal with it. Everyone is different though.

Airhawk by Roho!!

When I bought my used '04 FJR two years ago, it already had a Russell saddle. I immediately went on a 3 day trip with some friends. This was the most comfortable seat I've ever had on a bike for a long trip. In three days of riding, I never got butt sore.

However, I did have one problem with that seat. Since I'm a bit "vertically challenged", and the Russell seat sits higher than a stock seat, I couldn't flat foot it unless I moved forward on the bike when I stopped. (the seat is kind of like a car bucket seat and doesn't taper down on the sides).

So, I bought a stock 2005 FJR seat on E-Bay. It works fine for short trips but is definitely not as comfortable for long trips as the Russell seat is.

I also have Grip Puppies on my handlebars, and a Throttlemister. The Grip Puppies helped the numbness some, but my throttle hand still gets numb, so I can give it a rest sometimes and use the Throttlemister.

Anyway, hope this info helps you some.