First 5000 miles on my '07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxhuntr

Reaction score
I turned over 5000 miles on my '07 yesterday. I picked it up from the dealer May 4, so it's been a little over two months. I ride 70 miles daily on my commute, and we've done a bunch of 150-300 mile weekend rides. I just ordered a new BT-021 rear tire.

Farkles: Manic Salamander bar end weights and grip puppies. Ian's sliders. Blue Seas power distribution block. Grip heaters with heat-troller. Heat-troller for heated vest/gloves. Throttle spring release.

Things I like: power! Ergos are great. The adjustable windscreen rocks! Handling is wonderful - I scraped my first peg yesterday.

Not so great: Vibes! The bar end weights and grip puppies have the vibes to an acceptable level, but not nearly as smooth as my old ST 1100, or even my FZ1. Fuel injection: I can live with it but I've got some altitude related issues and some herky-jerky rolling on in tight corners. Nothing you haven't read about on the forum a thousand times!

All in all I love the bike and I'm looking forward to many years of great rides! I'm hoping Yamaha will do a recall to fix the altitude issues eventually. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
foxhuntr

I too picked my bike up early in May and though I had done some riding with 3500 miles on it so far but wow 5k...nice! I love the bike also especially the power, how fast it is to put the bags on and take them off and little things like the adjustable windscreen.

As far as the vibration I keep reading about here in the forums...I either have gotten used to it coming from my VStar 1100 or I just don't have it. I do have the issue with the clutch plates "sticking" but that is my only issue with the bike.

Picked mine up May 1st and have now put 5000 miles on it in the first two months. One 1300 mile trip and one 2000 mile trip and commuting to work dose put the miles on fast. Now if Yamaha could just fix the damn "Surging" issue I would be totally happy with my 07. I stopped by my dealer two weeks ago and the local service rep for Yamaha was there and I told him about the surging issue when changing altitude. He said they were working on the issue but it was hard to diagnose due to the issue not happening consistantly each time the bike ridden and changed altitudes.

Yeah, I was going to give my bike to the dealer to ride up and down the mountain I drive each day, but some days I get no surging at all, so I decided to leave it up to those whose bikes run much worse than mine to convince Yamaha we have a problem.