First day with GP Suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leo

Reaction score
First of all let me say this I am just a little leery of most things I read on the Internet. So it was with great trepidation that I sent some hard earned money along with my forks from here in Alabama to Auburn, Washington. It seemed that everything I read about GP fork cartridges was subjective, so today when I rode for the first time I was skeptical about how they would work. So here is my objective views of them.

Out of the driveway, they seemed to be stiff and the bike did not dive into its first stop. Right away I noticed that I needed to stiffen the preload on my stock rear shock. After that was done, I started on my 120 mile loop around my rural county.

Cornering is much improved. The bike tends to go straight where I pointed it versus searching for a spot to turn. Before I always thought that the front tire was scrubbing but not anymore. I don't need to work as hard when going fast through S curves. On straights, I don't feel the road bumps as much. Also, there is not the "bucking bronco" effect when going over railroad tracks. Also, I don't feel as much vibration through the grips as before. Above 50 mph the differences between the stock and the GP forks becomes exponential.

Here is the subjective part-> It is a different bike. It makes the stock FJR seem like my brother's VTX. Money well spent.
smile.png

Did you have to pay more, or less, for making the FJR into a VTX?

Just kidding, glad you can feel the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Leo, amazing how proper front suspenders can transform the FJR, huh?
Next step is a rear shock set-up for your weight and riding style...you'll be impressed even more!

--G
What George said. I did a ride-in for a complete set up on my '05 in 2009, including a rebuild and respringing of my rear Wilbers shock. What a difference in the way the bike handled! Watching it done, with an explanation of the reasons, was a really worthwhile education.

Had to get the forks done now. Had both seals leaking. New shock will have to wait until after both daughters graduate from college later this year.

Congrats Leo, amazing how proper front suspenders can transform the FJR, huh?
Next step is a rear shock set-up for your weight and riding style...you'll be impressed even more!

--G
What George said. I did a ride-in for a complete set up on my '05 in 2009, including a rebuild and respringing of my rear Wilbers shock. What a difference in the way the bike handled! Watching it done, with an explanation of the reasons, was a really worthwhile education.
What Rich said! Ditto Very happy with my GP set up on my '05.