First LD Tour

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devanator

Reaction score
Well I've had my Bike since April. With the house being built and working like crazy, I have only put 700 miles on my bike up till now. And they have been only short runs. But I'm finally going to take her on the maiden LD voyage. From West-Central MN to Whitefish Montana in about 2 weeks. This is my very first long distance trip by Myself ever. I was on a three day trip with my brother on my V-Star last year in Colorado but we didn't travel more than 175-200 mile a day. (I hauled that bike out their and then went) So the Point being!!!!

Any advice will be appreciated for a longer trip like that for someone doing this by himself for the first time. I will be going to visit my sister and another friend who happens to live only about an hour away from her. Biking itself isn't new to me just the long distance is. So any advice would be appreciated. Not really looking for anthing earth-shattering, but anything I might have overlooked. Thanks in advance.

Devanator

The FJR will easily get over 200 miles on a tankful. Besides the sidecases you don't mention adding any extra storage. A tire plugger and inflation device are a good investment on the road. Side cases fill up fast so just take what you will need. Good Luck! TJ

As far as extra storage I do have the Top Box on the back. And yes I did find that out on that 3 day tour in colorado last year, just take the essentials. I tried to fit to much with me last year. I just had my silverado side bags and a small back pack for two of us and they were smaller than these of the fjr. The tire accessory is a good idea. I was thinking of that but haven't picked one up yet, I definetely will though.

The one thing I will put out there is I do not have any experience in riding in wet conditions other than a few blocks here and there around town. Other than buying rain gear and slowing down is their anything else to consider in this area.

Thanks Again for any consideration

Devanator

Carry an extra key to your machine somewhere on the bike (hide-a-key) or put it somewhere you can get to that's not locked up. It'd suck to be up in the mountains at a stop, losing the original & not being able to go anywhere.

As far as riding in the rain... FJR handles well on the tires I have on the bike right now (Avons 45-46). I had Dunlops on there and they broke loose on me several times in wet and dry conditions... even with tread on them. My best advice... the road is most slippery right after the rain starts & conditions improve drastically after it has rained a little bit. This is due to the oils on the road coming to the surface right after it starts raining.

If you're concerned about this pull over for a bit (good time for a break!), let it rain & get back out there. As long as you take it slow & steady you should be fine.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Have a good time and be safe.