FJ-07?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKLD

I miss Don. šŸ˜”
Reaction score
After having a test ridden an FZ7, I can honestly say it had me entertaining thoughts of buying one and throwing on a set of Givi's for traveling. It's a *GREAT* bike.

This though... between the FJ09 (No cruise!) and now this, I'm having a really hard time justifying keeping the Queen Mary. It'll be interesting to see what Yammie comes out with for the new FJR. As it stands, my FJR riding days are drawing to a close.

no cruise is a non issue----Rosta electronic cruise works perfectly [once dialed in]...Wish the 07 and 09 would lose the chain...I could live with a belt even...

Just found the Yamaha XSR700 which has ABS. If they can put it on that bike why not the FZ-07? Please, Please, Please! It would be nice if we could get the XSR here in the states but it may need a steel tank. I am not sure if aluminum is acceptable.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget altitudes. While the sub liter bikes are pretty fun, once you load them up for a trip and hit some altitudes they become less fun quickly. Although I think if you've never ridden a liter size touring machine you might not mind as much. I used to have a 2005 FZ-6 set up with givi stuff for touring, but I rented a R1200RT for a 2500 mile tour of Cali, I came home to my FZ6 and it was a dirt bike to me. (quckly went to the FZ1 then FJR)

I am resigned that if I bought a funner bike, it would be a second bike, and would only be used for fun. Not touring. (and it would probably be the FZ09, or a super sport of some type)

Had a test ride on the Fz07 and FJ09 and loved both bikes. Clutch on the FJ09 was a little funky and the seat height was up there. FZ07 felt tiny but fun. Neither bike costs very much but wouldn't buy either new. For that kind of money you could buy a used very low mlieage Street or Speed Triple!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
After having a test ridden an FZ7, I can honestly say it had me entertaining thoughts of buying one and throwing on a set of Givi's for traveling. It's a *GREAT* bike.
This though... between the FJ09 (No cruise!) and now this, I'm having a really hard time justifying keeping the Queen Mary. It'll be interesting to see what Yammie comes out with for the new FJR. As it stands, my FJR riding days are drawing to a close.
A year after my 08 FJR was t-boned and totaled I started shopping for the replacement. I knew my time was limited on another FJR.

I went to a dealer to look at the FJ09 but found it too small for two-up riding. Ended up with a Kawasaki Versys 1000LT.

So far great and very versatile. Shaving off 100-pounds should extend my time on two-wheels.

My (our) friend MikeP1300 did the same thing, for the same reason - he wanted to go lighter and more upright. The big versys is a wonderful motorcycle. That mini-fairing works surprisingly well. The bike is a heck of a value, too.

Trying really hard to get Aunt Kelly on an FZ-07 or, like LKLD's wife, an FZ-6R as a replacement for her ancient Suzuki SV650.

Hardest part? "Well, I already have the gear and helmet to match my little yellow bike."

My pillion-hauling days are winding down to 2 or 3 more years.

If Yamaha decides to bring this to the States it will be

seriously difficult to resist.

Trying really hard to get Aunt Kelly on an FZ-07 or, like LKLD's wife, an FZ-6R as a replacement for her ancient Suzuki SV650.
Hardest part? "Well, I already have the gear and helmet to match my little yellow bike."
Doesn't the -07 come in black and yellow? I know the -09 does..

My pillion-hauling days are winding down to 2 or 3 more years.If Yamaha decides to bring this to the States it will be

seriously difficult to resist.
I don't know how long mine will be able to handle the pillion any longer either. I have been checking out the FJ -09 but this bike looks very interesting as well.

I dove back into the foray of "second" bikes recently as well with a Speed Triple. I loved 600cc sportbikes my entire life, but now that I've ridden the Speed, it's seriously hard for me to imagine going back to a 600 for anything other than a purpose built track bike. That's a bit off topic, but the 1000 Versys is a different category all together.

Seems like going from FJR to Versys you lose some of the sport that really makes the FJR what it is. A direct comparison is obviously the Connie. Aggressive cornering on the ADV style bikes has always scared me. You sit high, you ride high, and you add about 5" of ground clearance and 2" of seat height for what? I'd imagine 98% of those bikes never see dirt. Plus add some mushier suspension and less rake (?) and I cringe when I think about railing turns on anything with vague front end feel. It's like a 1000cc comfortable motard with bags...which doesn't sound bad actually, it's just the vague front end thing. Maybe that's just in the back of my mind, I haven't ridden one.

Even though the Speed has more power than a 600, it's 100% more useable, and 100% more fun. After owning that for 6 months and jumping on a Street Triple (I owned a Daytona for 5 years) the first question I asked myself was..."how did I ever think this thing was fast". Of course it is fast, once it starts making power above 6k, at that point the Speed is a half second from redline. I can't imagine hauling a 600cc bike loaded with gear into high elevations, it felt tremendously under-gunned on basic roads at sea level.