'16 Review from RevZilla

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[Personally, I was surprised how rarely I found myself in sixth gear. Hammering down the Beeline highway, leaving Phoenix in the rear-views, I was more comfortable cruising in fifth gear around 75 mph and spinning just over 4,000 rpm than I was bumping up into sixth. Sixth is geared as a very tall overdrive, and unless you're rolling around 80 mph, it’s almost overkill.
Sums up what most LD Riders I know suspected would be the case.

Overkill? I just roll my eyes at comments like that. He makes it sound like 6th gear is unusable below 70mph.... That's complete nonsense and he's missed the whole point of revised gear-box.

Idk, I like having the rpm's of 5th for passing w/o downshifting at that speed. 85mph is where I think I would use 6th most often, while slabbing to a destination.

On another note, while looking at the video with all the bikes lined up, I was thinking that I hope the reason for Joe's wait for his, wasn't because it was being used for the media test. Joe, check the mileage when you get it. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate it when I'm rolling down the highway in 4th gear accidentally.
Been there, done that, even at a somewhat generous 70mph. Took quite a while to realise.

But I would like to have the 6th gear. It's bigger, so must be better ;) .

[Personally, I was surprised how rarely I found myself in sixth gear. Hammering down the Beeline highway, leaving Phoenix in the rear-views, I was more comfortable cruising in fifth gear around 75 mph and spinning just over 4,000 rpm than I was bumping up into sixth. Sixth is geared as a very tall overdrive, and unless you're rolling around 80 mph, it’s almost overkill.

Sums up what most LD Riders I know suspected would be the case.

Overkill? I just roll my eyes at comments like that. He makes it sound like 6th gear is unusable below 70mph.... That's complete nonsense and he's missed the whole point of revised gear-box.
I can add this. I have over 600 miles on my '16 now, and anytime I'm on the highway at 50 mph or better I'm in sixth gear. Very usable. I suppose in heavy traffic, where you may need instant acceleration, one might choose 5th or even 4th. Obviously this is just my opinion, we all ride a little differently.

Life is indeed like a box of chocolates, except it is not only random what you will get, but who will do the getting! If our bikes, for some reason, were limited to 4 gears, we would all be fine with that and move on. Since our bikes can now have 6 gears, some will like that variety. I'm reminded of my 1968 Mustang with a 3 speed manual. Get that. 3 speed. First was a bit high, but worked. Second was long. And in 3rd I could easily cruise at 100mph out to Palm Springs. Later in life I had a Toyota Matrix XRS, a great little sports car, that had 6 speeds. I used all six, and enjoyed the close gearing as an excuse to shift more often, and never cruised it past 90MPH. I was happy with both cars.

Perhaps the best thing ever about different gear ratios is that it allows all of us to reflect on our preferences, and even voice our choices on online forums for others to agree and disagree. In the end, all these bikes go where you want, reliably.

Life is indeed like a box of chocolates, except it is not only random what you will get, but who will do the getting! If our bikes, for some reason, were limited to 4 gears, we would all be fine with that and move on. Since our bikes can now have 6 gears, some will like that variety. I'm reminded of my 1968 Mustang with a 3 speed manual. Get that. 3 speed. First was a bit high, but worked. Second was long. And in 3rd I could easily cruise at 100mph out to Palm Springs. Later in life I had a Toyota Matrix XRS, a great little sports car, that had 6 speeds. I used all six, and enjoyed the close gearing as an excuse to shift more often, and never cruised it past 90MPH. I was happy with both cars.
Perhaps the best thing ever about different gear ratios is that it allows all of us to reflect on our preferences, and even voice our choices on online forums for others to agree and disagree. In the end, all these bikes go where you want, reliably.
Lot's of truth in your statements. The one thing I do miss about my '08 AE is of course the paddle shifter, I love the six speed on the '16 A, but it would be even better if I could snick through the gears with the paddle. The Europeans are lucky to still have the option.

Someone educate me. I thought the new 6th was the same ratio as the old 5th.
6 is 5, 5 is the new 4 while 2 is now more like 3 ... 1 is totally new and still faster than 0 ...

Seriously, all (or most) of the gears have a slightly different ratio than before ... 6 is not a little higher than 5 was ...

Someone educate me. I thought the new 6th was the same ratio as the old 5th.
Yes, mcatrophy's gear chart will show the rpm vs mph relationship. 6th gear is a serious overdrive, the FJR will never pull redline in 6th. 3rd gear is almost identical between the 5 speed and the 6 speed, all other gears are different by a small amount. IMO, a run at the drag strip will show that the 6 speed is fractionally slower than the 5 speed but the 6 speed will cruise better. My '04 would run the 1/4 mile in 11.0 - 11.2 seconds, I would expect the 6 speed and the overall taller ratio of the Gen II & Gen III to put the elapsed time in the 11.8 second area. Over half a second in the quarter mile is significant. We won't know for sure until someone makes a few runs but the ratios are a strong predictor of performance when the engine output remains unchanged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damnit. Alan, are you saying that I'm slower now on my 13 than on my old 04?

Damn.

Time to visit Alan at the dragstrip. Can you put Helen on the back to at least give me half a chance?

I hate it when I'm rolling down the highway in 4th gear accidentally.
It's even easier to do this on a 6 speed. I commute to work on my 6-spd RS (almost all freeway) and I couldn't even count how many times I've exited the freeway at work just to look down and see I never left 5th gear. DOH! Next glance is at my fuel gauge to see that I burned more than usual. ARG! Probably has more to do with my ADD than knowing better.