FJR AE Operating Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rondo777

Reaction score
In the short time I've owned my FJR I've come across 2 issues that I'm curious about. Actually its probably only one issue that affects both of my questions. When you come to a stop on the AE you can leave it in gear and your not going anywhere. As you give it throttle the clutch kicks in and off you go. On a normal bike the clutch is always engaged untill you pull the clutch lever and release it. So heres my point: I have always been in the habbit of shifting into Neutral at lights and stops rather then "riding the clutch". Also on every other bike that I've owned I've been in the habit of parking the bike and leaving it in gear. Just as a precaution and especially when parking on grades. With the FJR AE I'm lost as to wheather I really need to shift into Neutral at light or just sit there in 1st. My thought is just hang in first gear and no harm done. The parking is more of a concern. I've tried turning the bike off in gear but it still rolls freely. Theres no E-brake, am I missing somthing here?

...I have always been in the habbit of shifting into Neutral at lights and stops rather then "riding the clutch".
I leave it in gear at a light. The bike won't go anywhere until the RPM gets above 1300, so the FJR will not move until you give it throttle.

...I've been in the habit of parking the bike and leaving it in gear. ... The parking is more of a concern. I've tried turning the bike off in gear but it still rolls freely. Theres no E-brake, am I missing somthing here?
The FJR will only roll freely for a few seconds after the ignition is turned off in gear. To move the motorcycle after that -- you will have to turn the ignition on, and apply the front brake to disengage the clutch and allow you to roll it in gear.

I would never recommend any bike going into neutral at a light or stop sign. You never know when you might need to hit the throttle and get the heck out of the way of danger... from any angle! This is particularly easy on the AE, just crank the right hand... if the bike is in gear.

When I park the AE, I seem to always leave it in gear. Seems it isn't easy to move until the engine is running. Spool 'er up and I can tip toe the thing back or forward. Almost as good as having it in neutral as long as the engine is spinning at idle.

I would never recommend any bike going into neutral at a light or stop sign. You never know when you might need to hit the throttle and get the heck out of the way of danger... from any angle! This is particularly easy on the AE, just crank the right hand... if the bike is in gear.
When I park the AE, I seem to always leave it in gear. Seems it isn't easy to move until the engine is running. Spool 'er up and I can tip toe the thing back or forward. Almost as good as having it in neutral as long as the engine is spinning at idle.
+1

If you are worried about wearing the clutch at a light, there is no reason for concern. FJRocket is right on.

The only time mine is in neutral is if I want to warm the engine up before moving off, or otherwise want the engine running with the side-stand down.

Starting it in gear saves the "clunk" when initially going into 1st.

Whenever stopped on the road, I like to be able to take off in a hurry if someone's aiming for me.

The clutch drag is almost non-existent (there is a little, I can feel the extra when paddling the bike backwards out of my garage), but I really don't think there's a wear issue. I quote from a previous post answering a slightly different question:

You also asked about clutch wear. I've been using mine for a short city commute, running in heavy stop-go traffic. I seem to spend much of the time in the "slip" zone. It has coped perfectly well with this. My feeling is that hard take-offs give less stress on the clutch than my commuting. I don't think you need worry about clutch wear.
Stopping, I simply make sure it's in 1st gear, turn off the engine with the key, wait two or three seconds; if you then rock the bike you will find the clutch has engaged and the bike won't roll (if you use the cutout switch or extend the sidestand to stop the engine, the clutch will remain dis-engaged until the ignition is turned off).

It has all become automatic for me, but it did take some getting used to. (And very occasionally I still have to search for why it won't start when I press the button. There are so many interlocks ...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found when the bike is in neutral it will roll slightly easier than it will when it's in gear (call me crazy, try it) As someone else brought up the safety issue of having your bike in neutral while stopped in traffic, they were correct by saying you should always keep your bike in gear and have it pointed in a direction that would allow you to escape in a hurry if you had to (never park directly behind a vehicle in front of your bike). A while ago I had cars behind me skid and wreck into each other, I was ready so I dumped the clutch (was not riding my FJR) and took off. A second or two may save you from an accident or even death, you always need to be prepaired and have a plan.

When parked I leave the AE in gear, this keeps the bike from rolling if on even a slight incline, plus it keeps anyone from just pushing your bike away or around a corner to rip it off (a quick anti-roll device). I do however put it in neutral when backing into a parking space, I had a nasy experience when I accidently blipped the throttle when my long sleeve got hooked on the throttle boss. As I turned to make sure I wasn't going to hit anything my sleeve pulled against the throttle boss, I quickly found myself going forward and forward in a hurry while looking backward. Now that really blows a persons mind, I didn't hit anything and no damage was done, but it could have been bad. After I'm parked I'll put it back in gear, even though the bike acts like it's in neutral when the key is turned off, as pointed out by someone before within a few seconds it will go into gear.

Ride Safe, C1

...I have always been in the habbit of shifting into Neutral at lights and stops rather then "riding the clutch".
I leave it in gear at a light. The bike won't go anywhere until the RPM gets above 1300, so the FJR will not move until you give it throttle.
Gunny

I am never in neutral on any bike while I am stopped. I want to be in gear so I can get out of the way if I see the car in my mirror about to rear end me.

Thanks to all for clarification. I was able to verify this am that clutch really does engage after the ignition is turned off. Very cool, I thought it was an oversite on Yamahas part. I'm now leaving the bike in 1st gear at all stops as well as when parking. I really appreciate all the safty tips as well.

Thanks again guys