FJR Loyalty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own both Yamaha's. The SuperTenere is not an off road bike, it's an off pavement bike. Out of the box, the SuperTen is restricted in the first 3 gears giving it a somewhat lethargic off the mark acceleration. A 50 cent / 10 second mod lifts the restriction and the bike just roars off the line.. The nice thing about the SuperTenere is its a reliable bike, no known issues.. I used to own a GSA, so for me Yamaha's reliability has been a big plus. I had a K1600 as well.. lovely engine, lousy transmission, horrible driveline lash, and many quality and design issues... hence the acquisition of a Gen 3 FJR. The latter has been nicely updated, has a few more creature comforts than before (Cruise, standard heated grips), and all the basic "safety" features: ABS / Traction control etc. without being a technowhizbang married to the dealer for all software updates and "service bulletins".

(I had a KLR650 too, jack of all trades and master of none :D ) .

FJR / SuperTenere: apples and oranges..

For what the FJR is designed to do, it does it very well; an all day comfortable and reliable bike, it's reasonably priced and is supported by a large dealer network. It also has the longest valvetrain inspection interval of the sport toruing segement, and basic maintenance is easy for wrenching noobs. No fancy single sided swingarm here, we're not racing at the track and need to swap tires frequently.. just a solid and dependable drive shaft / final drive design.

BMW: I've owned more than I care to recount... Moral of my ownership experience: If you're a high mileage rider, don't keep the bike beyond the warranty period or buy a good aftermarket extended warranty. BMW stopped selling their 6 year extended warranty.. too many claims to make money at it. BMW: BringMoreWallet for parts and service.

I'm in love with the fact that it's a STREET bike. Not all of us want to go offroad. Personally, I think I'm a little old to go off road & fall down, go boom... so, I stay on the street where the odds are in my favor of not falling down, go boom.

I like all the hp. The big adventure bikes don't have that. I enjoy knowing that what I'm on is faster than 99.9% of anything I share the road with, including other bikes.

I also don't like going offroad, but it would be nice to go on a bike trip to Alaska, Newfoundland, etc and not have to worry that some road will be dirt for 10 miles or 100 miles, etc.

I look forward to seeing the 2013 FJR at Chicago International Motorcycle show.

I've done hundreds of miles of dirt on an FJR. Most of it I stayed upright.

So go buy a separate bike just for your Alaska and Newfoundland trips.

I bought my '05 FJR as a commuter because it had luggage for my gear and shaft drive and fuel injection for low maintenance. I soon learned how capable it is and have enjoyed many long rides and rallies that I never even considered before owning an FJR.

I have ridden the Super Ten and didn't like it. I would prefer a smaller lighter bike for off pavement and the FJR is a lot better for me on the pavement.

And best of all are the many great friends I have made across the US and Canada. When I decide to replace my '05 the replacement may or may not be an FJR, but I will still attend FJR gatherings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a chance to ride a new Tenre recently, and was SO happy to get back on board the FJR. It was taller than the FJR, which I didn't like, didn't have the same comfy riding position, didn't have quite as much low end grunt, and the power band remains boring as the RPMs rise. Ya keep waiting for some sort of a kick that never comes. Add to that the gooney looking styling... yuck. Of course, styling's a matter of opinion. Have also ridden a BMW several times as well, but don't like several things about the bike, especially the price of fixing the dumb thing. BMW seems to live in a different world when it comes to the prices they set for parts and/or service. They can have their overpriced equipment. I'll take my FJR any day. Besides, which of those other bikes can enjoy the dark side? LOVE my Exalto as well, and have no interest in another bike. I'd take my 8 year old FJR over a new Beemer or a Tenre any day of the week. Love that machine.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
For 75% of my riding, the FJR is the correct tool for the job. (anything paved, from around town to across the state for breakfast).

For a different (overlapping) 75% of my riding, a Tiger 800XC is also the correct bike. I don' tlike it as well on really long days in really bad weather, but hello, Alaska- or any fire road between here and where I'm going.

For about 40% of my riding, including the stuff the FJR sucks at and the T800XC isn't good at, I have a DRZ400SM, with both on road (17" hoops with SM rubber) and off-road (21/18" hoops with knobbies) wheels & tires. I'm not going to ride it all day, but I'll take it down that single track, or downtown if I'm in a hooligan mood.

For about 2/3 of what the FJR's good at, I also have an Aprilia Falco.

Most of the time, when I open the garage door, I have one tough decision to make... The FJR tends to get the most miles.

Can't answer any of the questions posed.. However, I had a loyal hound once. Till the dog down the road came into "heat". Never seen that rotten bastage again.

Save your money, keep your FJR, and buy a two pipe Vstrom or KLR. V is a great bike; I liked it better than the GS and S10. KLR is a hoot.

Two reasons...At 5'7 i look totally stupid jumping off at stop lights on ANY dual-sport-adveture-scabbing bike created in the last 25 years for sale in the US ....second, i am too poor anymore and very happy i chose my FJR to be a final bike, if you will, i hope not but there it is. I grew up on REAL dirt bikes with names like Elsinore, Pursang and WR400 or TM400...i miss throwing 50 ft dirt-clod rooster tails the most and a compression release for traction control...that castor bean oil smell......the whole friggin hill..smells like.......victory...someday 2-strokes will be gone boys..............I had an Ex like that too Buster....good riddance....

Not sure if it is loyality or common sense? I replaced a totaled 07 K1200 LT with my FJR. Looked around and rode and sat a lot of bikes and the FJR won. For the price point the reliability, speed, handeling, egonomics, were just right for this busted up old man. Do I lust for a BMW 1600? I sure as hell do. But do I think it is more of a bike or better than an FJR? Not really. Different, a bit more refined sure, but a whole lot more money and higher cost of ownership with IMHO not much more to the tabel.

I just love the FJR and will run the 10 till I want a 13 or better.

Loyality is more like common sense and being a smart shopper. Ohh and being on a fixed income does play into it a bit, but if I dipped into savings I could cash up on most any bike I want.

I love my FJR and it is being more refined as time goes on. This third Gen has the right stuff. And according to Rider it has a few more ponies and new pistons and rings and the tranny has been gone over. Yamaha has a good product in the FJR just hope they keep it going over the years. As to me what BMW replaced the K1200 LT with just flat out sucks. The have a nice bike but they have taken what made the K1200 LT such a great touring bike and lessened it.

Of course just my opnion but the FJR is a keeped.

If you want dirt go buy a 400 something and rip it up, but you are not going to ride it 7500 miles day after day for 28 days like I did a few months ago.

Price?

Simplicity?

Ruggedness?

Ease and low cost of maintenance? (as compared)

In-line 4 cylinder wail?
^THIS^

Hard ta beat the value, and sheer pleasure of an FJR. I know winding up a GS ain't gonna give me wood, 'n I doubt an S10 would either. Butt, I dun look forward ta ride'in the FJR every day, even if it's just roll'in back 'n forth ta work.

Besides, I ride it where alot of ADV posers won't even take their GSs.
punk.gif

IMG_0407___2.jpg

Like others, it would depend on what kind of riding you want to do. I don't have any interest in fire roads and anything more than some occasional loose gravel. For that, the FJR is passable and exception on improved roads. I'd not have a BMW. Too expensive and too high a risk of expensive failures and maintenance for my budget.

Two reasons...At 5'7 i look totally stupid jumping off at stop lights on ANY dual-sport-adveture-scabbing bike created in the last 25 years for sale in the US ....second, i am too poor anymore and very happy i chose my FJR to be a final bike, if you will, i hope not but there it is. I grew up on REAL dirt bikes with names like Elsinore, Pursang and WR400 or TM400...i miss throwing 50 ft dirt-clod rooster tails the most and a compression release for traction control...that castor bean oil smell......the whole friggin hill..smells like.......victory...someday 2-strokes will be gone boys..............I had an Ex like that too Buster....good riddance....
+1 on being 5'7...I'm 5'8 and I can relate!! You spoke of the Elsinore. I remember working at Anderson's in Pontiac, Michigan in the summer of 72. I was putting together 4 cylinder HONDAs most of the time... getting them reading for the showroom floor. Then one day it showed up: the first Elsinore. What an amazing piece of equipment for it's time. That bike was amazing. We were all drooling on it that day. Of course, even then, I was still pretty impressed with the little red CB350 fours I was assembling.

Gary

darksider #44