FJR VS Pontiac

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSource

Reaction score
Well, I thought it would be a nice afternoon to take a ride over to Athens (Ga).

Turns out this was not a good decision.

I was about stopped for the light right in front of the Varsity hamburger joint when BLAMMO !

Some numbnuts nailed me from behind. I ended up under the bike somehow, (MY these things are heavy), with my helmet pinned between the bike, pavement, and curb.

I was wearing a tour Master Jacket (Now ripped and scuffed) and a full-faced Vemar Helmet.(scuffed, broken shield, busted vents)

I can't overstate the importance of this equipment. Most of you know this.

I am sore here and there, but fortunately, no injuries to speak of.

The 05 blue FJR I have had just over a month. I found it at a Harley shop with 1400miles on it, and not a scratch ... until now.

The upper fairing, lower fairing, and right sadllebag are scratched pretty bad. The windshield is broken, and one exhaust is bent from contact with the car.

I put the bike on the center stand and when turning the back wheel, There is a small bit of grinding sound. I don't recall hearing this before, so I am concerned there could be a problem with the shaft or wheel bearings.

We'll see what the estimate turns out to be.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Grandpa.

Where are you located? I've been to the varsity in Athens many times.

I live over near Lawrenceville in Dacula.

If I can be of assistance helping you replace anything let me know.

Glad to hear you're OK, but get to a doctor and have yourself checked out - I have chronic low grade pain from a bone chip in my ankle I said was 'nothing' after I went down 3 years ago. I also have a torn rotator cuff - but in that case, the cure can be worse than the disease.

File a claim with your insurance company and take the bike to a reputable dealer and have it properly checked - your machine could even be totaled . . . . don't forget to claim your helmet and your jacket and pants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you're OK, but get to a doctor and have yourself checked out - I have chronic low grade pain from a bone chip in my ankle I said was 'nothing' after I went down 3 years ago. I also have a torn rotator cuff - but in that case, the cure can be worse than the disease.
File a claim with your insurance company and take the bike to a reputable dealer and have it properly checked - your machie could even be totaled . . . . don't forget to claim your helmet and your jacket and pants.
[SIZE=12pt]Gunny![/SIZE]

Don't play with this or assume. You see the "get-well-quick" place and the bike sees the dealer for a proper evaluation and estimate.

The good news is that you "sound" okay, but the force involve to get your head under the bike...uhm, you'll be sore tomorrow, have yourself checked.

Heres the ugly evidence...

dscf0129-1.jpg

dscf0120.jpg

dscf0121.jpg

dscf0131.jpg

dscf0127.jpg

dscf0128.jpg

Crikes! How in the heck did I miss this thread? But, sheesh, glad you are no worse than you state. I've had my foot stuck under a feej before, I really don't think that's where I want my head!

They're all out to get us.

Glad your OK OpenSource. Good luck with the repairs and replacement of you riding gear. If you need any assistance don't hesitate to give a shout out.

JW

Holy crap! Your head was pinned to the ground by the bike? That would freak me out. How did you get out of it?
I'm not sure I remember it all, but I think I got a bit of adrenalin pumping at that point and lifted her up.
Hey, wait just a minute here. Your bike gets CARPET!?Cool.
You betcha ! Nothing but the best ! :D

Glad you are relatively okay! :clapping: :clapping: Seems like it could have been a whole lot worse! Definitely get checked out and make that dirt bag pay for all your damages...

I was on a rural highway when I was almost rear-ended with my 15 yo son on the back this past Saturday while at a light...I was looking at the rear-view mirrors and the car was coming up awfully quickly...was ready to execute my escape route when he made his sudden stop. Of course he had a cell phone to his ear... :glare:

This is how I turned around and looked at him :angry: :angry: :angry: He had a "what me?" expression on his face.

Wow, that helmet looks fooked up. Glad your typing about this instead of sitting in a trauma ward with a serious traumatic brain injury.

All that goes through my head when I see those helmet picutures is that video where the guy is bitching about how helmets are worthless.... (I'm sure some of you remember that video with the 1970's captain america helmet!)

Make sure they check the rear subframe for cracks. That pipe is attatched to the passanger footrest, which is attatched to the rear subframe.

Good luck, take a lot of advil!

File a claim with your insurance company and take the bike to a reputable dealer and have it properly checked - your machie could even be totaled . . . . don't forget to claim your helmet and your jacket and pants.
[SIZE=12pt]Gunny![/SIZE]

Don't play with this or assume. You see the "get-well-quick" place and the bike sees the dealer for a proper evaluation and estimate.

The good news is that you "sound" okay, but the force involve to get your head under the bike...uhm, you'll be sore tomorrow, have yourself checked.
Ditto

Gunny

Jeeeez !! Glad MY head wasn't in THAT helmet !!

[SIZE=12pt]Gunny![/SIZE]

Ditto

Gunny

Jeeeez !! Glad MY head wasn't in THAT helmet !!
I'm glad my head WAS in that helmet :D

Just wanted to add one more pic (yes I know, blurry).

This shows the ece -2205 certification. Some of you may not have seen this before, It is a European standard for helmet quality.

Like Snell is for the US. I have read some articles to say it was more stringent testing than Snell.

Who knows.

ece2205.jpg