FJRF009.1: Intermittent Ground Wire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a call from the service manager where my 2008 is at for the ground spider symptoms. He said that Yamaha is going to release a bulletin in the next few days announcing a recall for this problem.

Did I fail to notice, or are there still no 2008 models affected?
Maybe I'm being even denser than usual, but I'm confused by your question. Are you reading 2006-2009 to mean including only 2006 AND 2009? As I read it, 2006-2009 includes 2007 and 2008.

:ph34r:
I think he meant that he hasn't noticed any 2008 owners posting problems.

:dntknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to say great but being a 10 owner I am a bit pissed! The physical position, of all spiders are the same on my 10. Of course before it had a mile on it I had Road Runners harness installed.

Not going to worry about it too much unless I have an issue, then will have to done battle gear.

Still curious what it will be? I speculate it will be a additional or supplemental grounding harness. I can not see how they could increase wire size on all connectors from various parts attached to the motor to mate to a bigger wire gauge in the harness. I know the physical connections can be made, it is the existing gauge of wire on the device itself would not be changed. So if they increase wire gauge in the harness and not in all the plugs attached, what have you accomplished?

I will wait and see.

It seems my 10 does not suffer from this issue, or the brake lite issue on the 11's?

...being a 10 owner...The physical position, of all spiders are the same on my 10....Still curious what it will be? I speculate it will be a additional or supplemental grounding harness. I can not see how they could increase wire size on all connectors from various parts attached to the motor to mate to a bigger wire gauge in the harness. I know the physical connections can be made, it is the existing gauge of wire on the device itself would not be changed. So if they increase wire gauge in the harness and not in all the plugs attached, what have you accomplished?...
Thank you for confirming that the 10s have the same grounding scheme that appears to be the same as 06-09.

I just luvs guessing games. What if Yamaha simply issues new spider jumpers made of a different material that is a bit thicker and then installs a taller cap for better cooling?

Last edited by a moderator:
My dealer, Waco Yamaha, just called and informed me of the "intent to recall" The Sales Mgr. is a personal friend of mine. He stated, however, that Yamaha hasn't mentioned what the dealers need to order in the way of parts, if any. Guess we'll wait and see. :blink:

The bulletin says all registered owners of effected bikes will be notified. If you bought your FJR used will you be notified or is there a specific place you must register to receive these notices?

Does this mean if you had brodie's harness installed the recall will not be necessary?
Until they tell us what the recall will be you can't know.

It could well just be a Brodie style cable setup. Recalls must b applied by dealers, so even if you have a Brody harness, if you bring your bike in for service they will try to do the recall if it hasn;t already been done.

The bulletin says all registered owners of effected bikes will be notified. If you bought your FJR used will you be notified or is there a specific place you must register to receive these notices?
You can register at any dealer or by contacting Cyprerss.

You can register at any dealer or by contacting Cypress.

This is really good news. My '06 failed me in Utah back in 08 before this was a known problem. I'll be leaving on a 5k trip July 1st with my 08 and I'll ride a bit easier knowing that if there is a problem I hopefully won't get the deer in the headlights look should I land on some dealers doorstep in the middle of my trip. Many thanks to those who have spearheaded this effort.

Trying to speculate why the recall did not include the 10-11 models...

Could it be Yamaha does not want to impact sales current model sales with a mindset these 10-11 bikes have lower mileage, and will be less prone to a spider bite?

Then once the new harness or whatever fix solution Yamaha comes up with is readly available the recall will be updated to include 10-11 model?

A two phase recall to lessen sales impact of a recall that currently is without replacement material which could/would result in the sales freeze lasting quite a while getting new harnesses "or whatever" supplies to the dealer?

The wording would also give a buyer the impression the 2010-11 is not effected their potential purchase.

Okay, I'm new. What the h*&ll is Cypress?
Yamaha headquarters USA. Sales, marketing and distribution of Motorcycles, ATVs, Snowmobiles and Race Kart Engines.

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA

6555 Katella Avenue

Cypress, CA 90630

Customer Relations

(800) 962-7926 For questions about your Yamaha Credit Account:

Yamaha Card Customer Relations

(800) 252-5265

Yamaha Installment Customer Relations

(877) 314-1507

Status
Not open for further replies.