FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone figured out the bonii in Oregon? Lots of riders scattered around the state but they seem to making a run between Izee-Suple-Paulina but I don't see the stop other than several riders seem to have stopped around the Bowman Museum in Prineville after that run.

There are also a lot of riders in the Port Angeles area and around Puget Sound. Those roads around Prineville and in Central Oregon are so much fun and today is a great day weather wise. Any word on the rider that has been north of Wyola, MT for the last few hours?

Just wondering if the the Dirty Shame in the Yaak in Northwest Montana is a bonus ....
I've been assuming so. The riders are definitely going to Yaak. The Dirty Shame was a bonus in the GBU rally.
Hmmm....so, how many riders in the GBU actually went for The Dirty Shame bonus??

Maybe "The Road Less Traveled" is referring to bonus locations from other rallies that didn't get many people going for them ???????

That would explain some more popular tourist locations being named as bonus location for a "Less Traveled" themed rally.
Hmmm. A reasonable deduction Watson.

I hope the douches at the salt Lake HD get that rider going. What kind of miserable human beings wouldn't try to be more help than that?
Harley dealers in general are among the best in getting traveling riders back on the road reasonably.
A Harley dealer in Greeley, CO, did a great job of getting me in and out fast when I was passing through. Kudos to that shop.

There are also a lot of riders in the Port Angeles area and around Puget Sound. Those roads around Prineville and in Central Oregon are so much fun and today is a great day weather wise. Any word on the rider that has been north of Wyola, MT for the last few hours?
I think a counted something like 30-35 riders went to Hurricane Ridge near Port Angeles

It might be Andy Hall you are talking about. He says he hit a deer and is ok, but the bike is unrideable.

At the checkpoint today -

LybwUA.jpg

Last bike in before 8 pm, and its an FJR.

MpJAs3.jpg

Car tire.

sUWBGF.jpg

Car tire

kifwTR.jpg

Is this a car tire?

uZoHmi.jpg

Too clean

a3k3Lh.jpg

Last minute instructions

6MqqhT.jpg

FLIR camera

UgBvlv.jpg

Forum member Justinlongrider

R7IBcI.jpg

Another car tire

rDfhPJ.jpg

Keep those big lights steady

rnvhNU.jpg

More last minute instructions

jaCq59.jpg

Seeing double

X1iMLb.jpg

Ok, the last car tire photo, also 2nd last bike to check in before 8 pm.

And taped up mirror stay.

Some non FJR photos to follow.

-Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Some non FJR pics -

KevCR2.jpg

Home team!

atGEFU.jpg

Busy cockpit, and snacks, (far right)

Fgp8Ow.jpg

BMW, some missing bits.

IMYWe1.jpg

BMW repair shop is open

JKZovP.jpg

BTDT

wh3azt.jpg

A Gold Wing needing Depends.

-Steve

Absolutely great pics. Thanks, I felt like I was with you.

A couple comments:

As far as the windshield note about Camera? Flag?..I had my flag clipped to my camera 100% of the time, and I had used a practice flag clipped to my camera for about 1.5 years prior to the Rally to make sure I had the habits ingrained. If anyone following along aspires to participate in the Iron Butt Rally, I strongly recommend that you look up the ride reports by jwhite518 on this forum. While he was preparing for the 09 IBR, he devised what he called the SJC10k where he rode 10,000 practice miles preparing for the Rally and documented what he learned along the way. I used it as a basis for my practice for the 11 IBR.

The second comment is about the 2 bros red FJRs. I know the rider of the one on the left which belongs to Corey from Iowa. I first met him more that 10 years ago when we both started rallying on VFR800s. He was very skilled. I found it interesting that he only rode his motorcycle while in competitive rallies. We both ended up moving on to FJRs and participating in the 2010 Iron Butt 5000. Somewhere on my old BlackBerry memory card I have a picture I took of his first FJR which was totalled in a deer strike on the last day, but he just duct taped it up and finished the rally. It's good to see his red FJR looking beautiful and I am glad to see he is still participating.

Great memories!

Paul was one of the first in. Don't remember who was last in before penalty started.

All riders checked in by 9:45pm tonight, several into the penalty window.

The last rider, Chris Purney (eeksnake on this forum), made it in about 9:45 p.m. and had 15 minutes to present himself to scoring. He got done by about 10:15 and then came out to sort BOTH burned out headlights...we converted him to halogen. He also had a Givi that a bad thief broke, but didn't get inside. Fortunately, we followed up with a 1/4" drive and got the rider in to his own case. He's sorted, but crispy.

Three people burned up tires quicker than they thought and I'll be helping source tomorrow. This includes a KTM that's good through the end of Leg 2, but will have to have a new Heidenau K60 to do Leg 3. I don't know the story of the second, but picking up a tire for them from the dealer and will be put on Leg 2 CP.

The surprised one was Jim Owen burned up brand new Pilot Road 4 GT enough after Leg 1 that he was getting closer to the wear bars and needed to put his fresh tire/rim on. Leg 2 is shorter, but he won't have enough for Leg 3 at this rate and will need THREE tires for this rally. That's new and different. Jim also had a reported case of a fuel cell issue and a fuel filter was quickly diagnose as gunked up. I bought him a new one...so NOW he can become a real rider for the next leg. ;)

Other riders I helped include Erbe/Winterer that had a Sena 20 fail. I had spare parts and we isolated to her boom mic, replaced, and they're able to talk while they ride again. They were VERY appreciative.

Another rider had a problem with a heated jacket plug-in and friend Rusty set him up with a new switch and soldering.

I didn't see all the acts of kindness today, but this was my first time on other side of an IBR as support staff and AMAZED at what they do for riders. I've ridden three IBRs and did..not...have...a...clue how mach they help us make it to the end.

They'll be sleeping until breakfast is served at 3:30 a.m. and riders meeting 4:00 a.m. local time. They then get their Leg 2 packets, go back to their room, plan, and then execute it until they have to return Sunday evening by 8 p.m.

Many thanks for the updates all. Great to know everyone made it in safely and before the window closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.