FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyler posted: Ah George Zelenz... was thinking about him yesterday when people were talking about waving at the riders as they went by... to my knowledge, nothing has topped this...
wink.png
laugh.png
Wondered about him last week. Have been assured he's alive and doing as well as can be expected of a former Forum member. (Thanks, Candy Butt prez.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have this as my SIG line.

YET ANOTHER FJR rider (Thanks Chuck Snyder) volunteering themselves, the keys to their FJR, and a trailer to haul away the Bavarian corpse.

The guy in Cheyenne and the dude in Grand Etang, NS, better hope their SPOTs are very delayed or they're toast.
The Cheyenne SPOT has been at a Harley shop in Cheyenne since yesterday. I hope they can get him on the road again soon.

What stuns me more than this beomg second rally that more FJRs finish the IBR than start..is that there seems to be a never-ending supply of spare rally-ready FJRs* and owners staged around the country such that one is never more than 4 hours away from one being delivered to you....regardless of the brand or model bike you happen to be riding.
Now THATS funny. A trend we need to continue. I'll go on record for 2021. My rally ready FJR is available if needed. PNW and Nor-Cal.

Ah George Zelenz... was thinking about him yesterday when people were talking about waving at the riders as they went by... to my knowledge, nothing has topped this...
wink.png
laugh.png

Well, since we haven't seen this yet this year, I think it's time for this video to come back out.

Andy...start planning
coolsmiley02.gif

Another year that more FJR's finish than started!You guys are badass!

I am a Harley guy, but if I weren't, FJR. Clearly a better mousetrap!
It's OK to have both; works for me.

Andy...start planning
coolsmiley02.gif
If'n it looked they were gonna pass through somewhere where I thought I could 'encourage' (scar for life?) them, I would.

So far I've only seen two bonuses in Ohio - a receipt from Dayton, and serpent mound.

Add one more FJR to the list for likley-to-complete the IBR. JD is moving again from Williamsport after leaving an oil-dripping and smoking GS on the trailer of very helpful forum member, BikerChuck. He has plenty of time to make his way to the finish line and I'm sure will enjoy the power, reliability, and get-r'-done attitude of the beautiful '07 Chuck loaned him. Who knows! He might even still be able to snag a couple of bonuses on the way!

To BikerChuck!

clapping.gif
clapping.gif
clapping.gif
clapping.gif

I wonder if there's a group picture or some other time-specific bonus in the New Orleans area...

The guy in Cheyenne and the dude in Grand Etang, NS, better hope their SPOTs are very delayed or they're toast.
The Cheyenne SPOT has been at a Harley shop in Cheyenne since yesterday. I hope they can get him on the road again soon.
I think that's one of the riders who pulled out, and subsequently had a transmission failure and was just going to leave the bike.

Okay its Thursday 15:00 EST which puts the finish 16 hours away before points loss and 18 hours away for DNF.

Right now everyone is within striking distance of the finish.

Except... For the couple dots Montreal and Gaspe. Montreal is a maybe, but they gotta move. The person up by Gaspe. Dont see how its going to happen.

Similarly the riders in Minnesota. The one near StPaul can probably make it. The rider up by Lake Superior. I dont see how they're going to make it back.

And that road south from NewOrleans out to Venice is looking really busy with bikes running up and down it right now. After 11 days on the road and hardly seeing other competitors they are now going to get to see a whole gaggle of competitors riding by. They're arms will be sore from all the waving!
smile.png

- Colin

Overheard during conversations with riding friends:

1 - The temperature here in LA is FUCK THIS!! (weather app showed 98 degrees but feels like 117... plus humidity!)

2 - I'm having so much fun I'm gonna keep coming back... like a bad rash.

:lol:

Okay its Thursday 15:00 EST which puts the finish 16 hours away before points loss and 18 hours away for DNF.
Right now everyone is within striking distance of the finish.

Except... For the couple dots Montreal and Gaspe. Montreal is a maybe, but they gotta move. The person up by Gaspe. Dont see how its going to happen.

Similarly the riders in Minnesota. The one near StPaul can probably make it. The rider up by Lake Superior. I dont see how they're going to make it back.

And that road south from NewOrleans out to Venice is looking really busy with bikes running up and down it right now. After 11 days on the road and hardly seeing other competitors they are now going to get to see a whole gaggle of competitors riding by. They're arms will be sore from all the waving!
smile.png

- Colin
Why would they wave with both arms? :smile:

Ah George Zelenz... was thinking about him yesterday when people were talking about waving at the riders as they went by... to my knowledge, nothing has topped this...
wink.png
laugh.png

Well, since we haven't seen this yet this year, I think it's time for this video to come back out.

Today's edition of the IBR Reports mentioned and showed George's Lighthouse Photo again. I suppose that gaff will never be forgotten.

Getting back to the 2019 IBR, it looks like there could be two Riders cutting it too close: the Rider near Quebec and the Rider still in Texas. I hope every Rider shown on the map at 8:09pm Eastern Daylight Saving Time makes it back safely to Greenville, South Carolina and that they Finish!

Texas should make in but Quebec and the rider in Boston right now>...........how do you make up three hours ride time ?

It's a little after 9PM EST. Spot shows a gaggle near New Orleans, about 650 miles from there to Greenville. Probably another 10 - 11 hours riding ETA 8AM-ish if they ride through the night. My guess is that most have already been riding 10 or more hours in high heat and humidity. That's hardcore.

Status
Not open for further replies.